• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pearl Millet

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RBT

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy some pearl millet from a neighbor. I am going to feed it to cow/calf pairs. The fellow wants $60 a ton for it. I have never fed millet before and don't know much about it. Anyone on here have any experience with it or know how much it's worth? All replies are appreciated! RBT

Just make sure you test for nitrates before feeding. 60 doesn't sound to bad since the hay market is moving up. Our cows love it as long as it had a good thick stand, the thicker the stems are the less they like it.

I have fed hay millet (white wonder variety) for several years with good results. I would have the nitrates tested for safety sake. Also protein might have a tendency to be a little low also.
Cow love it, they will leave good alfalfa for it, so process a bale orf it and turn around and process the alfalfa on top of it.
right now my calves get a mixture of 1first cutting, one second cutting and one hay millet as it goes thru a tub grinder, along with 3.5 lbs ground proso millet (grain) until the middle of Jan and go to 4.5 lbs.
Last two yrs have averaged 2.5 lbs gain

Pearl millet grows taller, and has thicker stems then hay millet. It is more like sudan grass. I have fed a little of it, but don't remember how well the cows liked it. I believe it is a better feed then Sudan grass though.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes it is millet hay put up in big round bales. It was tested for nitrates (132) and moisture which was 15%. I really appreciate getting responses from people who have actually had experience feeding millet. Thank you one and all. Take care. RBT

Pearl is similar to Haygrazer with wider leaves and shorter. It wouldn't be as good as regular golden german millet hay IMO. It is also a pain to swath. It is hard cutting stuff compared to hay millet or sudan.

Latest posts