• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Peeing puppy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm glad there was another post on this subject. I went back and read chuckie's post of 4-11, and that, along with v_key's advice reminded me to check out the possibilities of a bladder infection.

I'd kinda forgot, what with everything else going on around here.

Thanks, both of you!! Will get right on that!

Faster Horses:

If you crate her, make sure she only has enough room to lay comfortably, it will be better and faster., use a devider if you have to, and adjust it as the puppy grows

also set the times she goes out..at the "exact" intervals you want.. other wise it will just prolong the crate part of the training...

My wife trains all of our dogs and is good at it,,,she thinks if you watch the intervals you may be able to time how long she can go,,,after drinking,,,as some dogs give no warnings,,,but she says a trip to the vet can't hurt,,,,

and limit the water bowl times...not the amount, just the when....

I have some very sad news. We can't find the pup. She goes with my husband and the other dog in the tractor every morning. They get out over where the heifers are, hunt rabbits, nose around, and the like. Today the wind was blowing and they couldn't hear him call so he went on. Later, he went back to get them and they weren't around. (Usually they wait at the gate for the ride back home.) Anyway he looked for them and called, nothing. So he went home. This afternoon the older dog showed up, but no pup. So he went looking for her and so did I when I got home from work. We can't find her. He said he never gave a thought about coyotes getting her, but now he is worried that may have happened, or she fell in a hole...

We so hope she is here in the morning!

WE FOUND HER!!! YIPPEE!!

My husband tied his coat to the gatepost when we left there earlier this evening. He just went back to check and she was laying on his coat. Boy, was she glad to see him. (And he was just as glad to see her!)

We will sleep better tonight!!

fh--i'm SO glad she found you! there is Nothing worse than worrying about a dog gone missing (unless it's a son/daughter; but we are not going there here).

i had a pair of dogs go missing once; they showed up 3 wks later, footsore, starved down to nothing, dehydrated; i truly thought they'd both die on me, but they didn't. wish i could ask and they could answer as to what happened to them...just glad they came back...

Our daughter got a dog from the pound at Sheridan, Wy that turned out to be the best dog. Worked cows and was a great companion. She and her husband moved to Washington working on a ranch and they lost the dog. Both were just heart sick. They put up posters and looked everywhere. Never did find her. It took them quite awhile to get over it.

Years ago my husband was riding horseback and the pup that was with him got tired. So he put her by a sagebrush and told her to stay. When he got home he went back out in the pickup to get her but couldn't find her. He came home, ate supper and went to bed. Well, he couldn't sleep for worrying about his pup, so he got up and went back to look for her. He called and called, then just sat in the pickup and waited and sure enough, she eventually did show up.

Interesting, that he used to carry her horseback until she got too big to pack. Then she would trot along and look up at him, like "why don't you give me a ride anymore?" She really was a one-man dog. She wouldn't even eat unless he fed her. He would put her in his coat pocket when he would go milk the cow. We had her for a lot of years. She might not have been the best dog, but she was the most loyal. She was a good dog, but not real tough. If he drove out of the yard, she would lay where she could see him come back. She would lay there all day, until he got home. The other dogs would stay there awhile, but then they'd get bored and go off messing around. Not her. Not til he returned. Mostly he took her along, but once in awhile she had to stay home. Really, even if he was gone overnight, she laid right in the same place waiting for him.

When Mrs. Soapweed and I were first married, we lived for seven years on a ranch south of town eighteen miles. Our house was a mile and a half off the highway. Whenever we would go someplace for the day, our two dogs (Jake and Shadow) would follow us to the highway. They would lay in the scant shade of the mailbox until we returned, sometimes several hours later.

I had to list our assets for the bank one time. I put down the cow numbers, bulls, replacement heifers, and horses, and assigned an approximate value to each category. At the end of the list I wrote, "two dogs...............worthless," followed by "three cats (good mousers)................priceless." I'm not sure if the banker saw any humor, but at least he gave us the loan. :?

We had a cocker spaniel that never could hold her bladder when excited. Her most memorable " accident" happened when a friend stopped for a visit all dressed up wearing fine ventilated leather shoes. He needed a change of socks after her well trained greeting. :)

get a large pet carrier (dog box) when the pup comes in the house, put her in the box. She pisses in it, let her lay in it. clean it only one time a day. it won't be many days and it will stay clean then you may let her roam the house a bit but locker up when you are not watching her. after a few weeks the problem will be gone :lol:

Latest posts