• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Peeing puppy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We seem to have a bit of a problem with the puppy we are so proud of. She will wet anyplace, anytime. Most pups will sniff around a little and if you are watching, you can get them picked up and out the door in time. Not Dixie. She will look you right in the eye and squat and pee. We don't dare let her in the house anymore and the garage is a mess. Our older dog goes way away from the house.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you have any suggestions? I wonder if she could have a little infection in her bladder, maybe. She doesn't act like anything is wrong, really. She used to wet when you talked to her or went to pick her up, but I just thought that was "puppy stuff" and she would quit. She doesn't seem to do that any more, but she can pee faster than anything I can remember. It's starting to bother us just a little.

FH: "she can pee faster than anything I can remember."

Another option would be to register a new Montana brand, and call it the "running P". Hee hee. :)

Some folks in this neck of the woods have a brand called the "2 lazy 2 P".

I just got me a new puppy. A Pembroke Welch Corgi. Named her Concho. Cute little thing, but yeah i hear you on the "potty" training. I have to watch her and track her down like a 2 year old kid. if I leave her alone for to long, i will go in the other room and find a couple of steaming piles to clean up!!! My border collie (Skamp) loves her to death, but whenever she messes on the floor she kinda comes and tattles on Concho to make sure I know that she didn't do it...haha.

You're going to fit right in here with all the other corgi owners. Hanta YO and Turkey Track bar and I think someone else has them so I think we will need a section just for you guys. :cowboy:

Just returned home from watching our son and his attractive date in the Cody prom grand march. All the kids looked pretty spiffy in their high dollar duds. Mrs. Soapweed and I indulged in supper at the Husker Hub, and enjoyed visiting with friends. Glad we weren't involved in any post prom doings and could just come home and hit the hay.

Lightning was seen off in the distance, so we can always hope to get a little rain before the night is over.

"Little rain" is probably right. We got two-tenths of rain and two feet of wind.

While I figured you to be the last one to reply to my 'peeing puppy' question Soapweed, I did appreciate your humorous comments.

There is a place here with the brand, 'Circle Dot' under the tail.
(not really, of course~)

I guess we will just have to get after her for wetting all over the garage when she just as well could go outside. I don't understand why she doesn't care more than that. She sleeps in the garage, and usually dogs won't mess where they live.

We think our older dog is getting tired of it, too, because that is where he lives as well!! He is really clean, and wouldn't think of making a mess in the garage. Sometimes I think he wonders why we got this aggravating little rascal!! Naw, he loves her like we do, though maybe not as much as we once did! LOL!!!

fh, you have 3 options that i can think of that could be handy. 1)crate her if you have a crate, until you can supervise her going outside, then LOTS of praise for peeing outside (but no punishment for wetting in the crate). or, 2) leash her or confine her on a slick floor (bathroom or kitchen work well for me). don't give her a lot of room in either case--i prefer a leash (6') in the kitchen, but that's just what's handy for me.

the close confinement with the SLICK floor (carpet just encourages them), encourages them to hold their water until they can go outside to some grass or (if you STILL have no rain :cry: ), at least some rougher stuff. they hate a slick floor and they hate peeing in their own close quarters (remember, peeing marks the OUTER limits of their territory).

or 3) she's an outside dog, period.

maybe this'll help

Thanks for the tips, Chuckie. I will print them off for my better half to read. He gets his dogs to mind so well without tying them up or putting them on a leash that doing that will be foreign to him. But I think it is just a good education for them. Not that my opinion matters because the dogs spend most of their time with him and they all let me know they are definitely HIS dogs.

She will be an outside dog, but we like to let them in the house from time to time. She has been banned for the time being. Your post was interesting as the last time we let her in, and we have a lot of vinyl in the kitchen, bathroom and entry way~she went to a Navajo rug in the hallway and peed. So I think you know what you are talking about. I never thought of it before, that carpet encourages them to wet there.

But where we are really seeing the problem is in the garage on the concrete floor. We do shut the door at night so she can't get outside and that probably created the problem. She is so smart, I hope we didn't teach her to wet in the garage. Oh my!!

FH--the idea is, confine her to a place she doesn't like to pee, then turn her out (with praise) where it's a "good thing" (we LOVE Martha Stewart, right?).

anyway, even in the garage, give her a rug to curl up on, a leash to limit her range, and a CONSISTENT time for relief. for mine, it's between 5:30 and 6 a.m., then the same but in the p.m.

i do have to occasionally "re-educate" the Dobe for some reason--it's like re-setting his timer; i'm not sure why, he is definitely housebroken, but he was a "rescue" dog with some abuse in his past. so maybe there's something there--too bad he can't talk (or maybe it's better, so i don't go to prison for homocide-there's NO reason to treat a dog like some people treat them).

ok, i'm getting on my pet peeve thing again.STOP!!!!! just try tying her in the garage when she's in for the night. get her in a routine with that and she'll come around, or at least only pee in one spot--but i'll bet you that she won't even pee in the garage(if you confine her). but first, rule out a bladder infection: if she has one, all bets are off!!

it sounds to me like she's smart enough to learn pretty quick. and thanks for saying i might know something--don't know much, but housebreaking dogs i DO know about :)

Very much appreciate your advice, Chuckie. How would I know for sure if she has a bladder infection?

She still tinkles a little if you talk to her and act like you are going to pick her up, but I thought that was just emotional. She was 5 months old on the 9th of April. Sje really is cool and is every bit the watch dog.

If I could quit misplacing my digital camera, I would put an updated picture of her on here. I found it once, only to misplace it again.

TXTibbs said:
I just got me a new puppy. A Pembroke Welch Corgi. Named her Concho. Cute little thing, but yeah i hear you on the "potty" training. I have to watch her and track her down like a 2 year old kid. if I leave her alone for to long, i will go in the other room and find a couple of steaming piles to clean up!!! My border collie (Skamp) loves her to death, but whenever she messes on the floor she kinda comes and tattles on Concho to make sure I know that she didn't do it...haha.

OOOOHHHH!!! You have a Corgi???? Got a picture of her?? This breed of dog has SO MUCH personality!!! Our Pembroke wasn't difficult at all to "potty train". Just kept him in the "office" with all the doors closed, the floor is cheap linoleum, put down papers and that is where he lived until he was "potty trained". Didn't take him very long, either. We got him when he was only six weeks old.

I put my Corgi (Concho) in my "half bathroom" and leave her in there with her little "potty pad" and food and a little water while I go to work. I found out to much water just turns in to a play item! The same way with to much food! Anyway, she does ok in there while I'm gone, and she uses her little "pad", but sometimes she misses, cause she will squat on it and then squirt over and miss the pad! Then she proceeds to step in it and make little puppy tracks EVERYWHERE! It was on the toilet, the walls, the cabinet!!! I had to break out my Swiffer thingy and do some cleaning! How long before they can start holding it better! My border collie (Skamp) is in the house all day while I'm at work....i let her out in the morning she does her business and then first thing when I get home! She is 5 tho and can hold things quite well! I'f i have to clean that bathroom like I did tonight many more times there may be a cheap Corgi in the paper! ha ha..prolly not cause like you say she has a neat personality and seems to be a smart little thing. She is really quiet at night and always has been which surprised me. I was expecting her to screech all night for a week, but hardly a word. Anyway...damn i should be in bed.....later

chuckie said:
fh, you have 3 options that i can think of that could be handy. 1)crate her if you have a crate, until you can supervise her going outside, then LOTS of praise for peeing outside (but no punishment for wetting in the crate). or, 2) leash her or confine her on a slick floor (bathroom or kitchen work well for me). don't give her a lot of room in either case--i prefer a leash (6') in the kitchen, but that's just what's handy for me.

the close confinement with the SLICK floor (carpet just encourages them), encourages them to hold their water until they can go outside to some grass or (if you STILL have no rain :cry: ), at least some rougher stuff. they hate a slick floor and they hate peeing in their own close quarters (remember, peeing marks the OUTER limits of their territory).

or 3) she's an outside dog, period.

maybe this'll help

Dad and i agree with this post BUT we would have a Vet check her out - could be a bladder infection or the like.

Also you could put the crate out side so you don't have troubles in the house - it might take time to train the Bladder

v_key--see my post of 4-11.....re bladder infections...

fh--the only way to tell is a urine sample to the vet, and antibiotics will clear it up in no time. if that's the problem, you're lucky in one way: she'll get over it quick!! but, keep an eye on her in case, for some reason, it's chronic (i know, we HATE the word "chronic" ).

have been having trouble housebreaking this computer--more later (hopefully!)

Latest posts