• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Perry is In!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oh, and I forgot to add that someone with ties to Mexican Cartels needs to be on the boarder. Otherwise, how are we going to run our ATF programs under Obama?

It would have take forever to get that many assault rifles across the border and back had we been dependent on our citizens.

Yep, I'm glad Obama is making our borders safe.

I don't think I can make fun of you in good conscious any more. If you are going to overlook this serious issue, there really must be something wrong with your cognitive ability. I apologize for not realizing this sooner.

Yes, there are people who will skirt the law and try to get by with hiring illegals at a lower wage. I have more disdain and contempt for these parasites than I do for the illegals who are doing what I can only hope I would be able to do if I were in their situation. I still dont like anything about the predicament we are in. All of that being said, isnt it the responsibility of law enforcement to investigate and bring charges against those who thumb their noses at the law and hire illegals? I would think that if enough small businesses got slammed with a significant fine an example would be set. I can think of several ranchers in this area that hire them and never worry about getting caught. Yet these same ranchers are some of the loudest when immigration talks come up. Ironic.

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:
And every time I hear a Texan or a Californian whining about illegals-- I always wonder why these illegals settled in these states-

:lol: :lol:

Ya, me too. I've always wondered why they didn't hire a moving truck, after walking across the border, to take them and all their belongings to some far off state. Moving as far away from family is why they came to the US, in the first place, was it not

Well, ain't that a head scratcher. Why in the world would illegals settle in Texas or California when they could so easily hitch-hike on up to Wyoming or Nebraska? :roll:

I just spent a few days with a good man from TX and he said you will either love him or hate him as he says exactly what needs to be said and doesn't bother sugar coating it. He said Perry is very conservative and has his vote.

I like it when someone tells it how it is, and I don't like the fence riding we see way to often.

I think I will listen to someone I have respect for from his area instead of the media.

Something political about The Response after all

Gov. Rick Perry's office insisted that the Aug. 6 prayer rally he initiated was "apolitical."

But less than two weeks after thousands of people attended The Response in Reliant Stadium, the founder of the American Family Association sent out an email to prayer-rally registrants touting Champion the Vote, "a friend of AFA whose mission is to mobilize 5 million unregistered conservative Christians to register and vote according to the Biblical worldview in 2012."

Don Wildmon says in the e-mail, "The Response was just the beginning of a nationwide initiative to return America to the principles on which she was founded, with God at the center of our nation."

Eric Bearse, who was spokesman for The Response, stood by the idea that it wasn't a political event.

"The Perry campaign hasn't used any of the data from the event for any type of political purpose," said Bearse, who now is with the Perry campaign but wasn't responding on its behalf. "The AFA sending out an email to register people — if that is political, then I guess so is the activity of the secretary of states' office in all 50 states."

It would, however, be unusual for a secretary of state's office to say, as Wildmon did, "CTV's research has shown that it takes only 5 million voters to influence the outcome of an election. This is a doable goal…."

The e-mail does not promote a particular candidate.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2011/08/something-political-about-the-response-after-all/

Perry campaign 'evolving'?

Candidate Rick Perry's string of eyebrow-raising comments continued apace today, when the Texas governor engaged in a little colloquy with a 9-year-old New Hampshire boy. Urged on by his parents, the kid asked Perry if he knew how old the earth was. Perry said he didn't.

As the New York Times reported, the boy's mother then had him ask the governor about evolution. Perry began to answer the mother's question, while still talking to the boy.

"And here your mom was asking about evolution, and you know it's a theory that's out there and it's got some gaps in it," he said. "In Texas, we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools."

The governor added: "I figure you're smart enough to figure out which one is right. Thank you."

Actually Texas science standards do not call for teaching creationism in the classroom, despite strenuous efforts over the years on the part of State Board of Education members. Last month a slightly more moderate board sidestepped yet another creationism/evolution feud by adopting science instructional materials that stick with science.

In 1987, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that teaching creationism in public schools was unconstitutional. In Edwards v. Aguillard the court ruled that teaching creationism in Louisiana public schools was the equivalent of teaching religion and violated the Constitution because it advanced a particular religion.

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, another contender for the GOP presidential nomination, offered a Tweet, apparently in response to Perry's creationism comment: "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."

Perry could have told the New Hampshire youngster that scientists believe the Earth to be about 4.54 billion years old, give or take a few tens of million of years. Many fundamentalist Christians don't accept that conclusion.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2011/08/perry-campaign-evolving/

Mike said:
Let me see if I understand this. No money for roads. Perry finds way through tolls and foreign investment to build roads. People do not want more road taxes yet stop the trans Texas Corridor. Still fussing about more roads.

Do I understand it? :lol:

Mike..that's according to "TheHouston Chronicle", a liberal rag of a paper. Post no. 1......Flounder....Texas A&M U. does not have a medical school.
2. Trans Texas Corridor. ALL highways are build on land that is purchased from property owners. In your state, my state and the others. Eminent Domain is nation wide but you ARE paid for what is taken. Any road in Texas is going to take up farm or ranch land. 3. Texas Highways. (The Corridor would ahve helped) but stalled traffic is a problem nowhere except int he larger cities and people live there by choice. We have some of the best highways in the country and new ones are being build and existing highways improved everyday. 4. Toll Roads...Get use to it...at least it allows visitors to pay a share of the upkeep instead of having a state income tax. 5. Al Gore....Perry supported him in the Democratic PRIMARIES only. Hell founder, you live here. You should not be so ignorant.

Probably at least 90% of Texas teachers are Christians. You can bet creationism gets taught on some level everyday. Perhaps not officially or part of the curriculum but it happens.

More definitively, Suzanne Marchman, a spokeswoman for the Texas Education Agency, the state's version of the Department of Education, tells NBC, the state's science standards for high-school biology "require students to analyze, evaluate, and critique, scientific explanations."

And since teachers craft their own lesson plans, "It's likely that other theories, likely creationism, are being discussed in class" -- whether it's because teachers plan lessons around it, or because students bring it up.

TexasBred said:
Mike said:
Let me see if I understand this. No money for roads. Perry finds way through tolls and foreign investment to build roads. People do not want more road taxes yet stop the trans Texas Corridor. Still fussing about more roads.

Mike..that's according to "TheHouston Chronicle", a liberal rag of a paper. Post no. 1......Flounder....Texas A&M U. does not have a medical school.
2. Trans Texas Corridor. ALL highways are build on land that is purchased from property owners. In your state, my state and the others. Eminent Domain is nation wide but you ARE paid for what is taken. Any road in Texas is going to take up farm or ranch land. 3. Texas Highways. (The Corridor would ahve helped) but stalled traffic is a problem nowhere except int he larger cities and people live there by choice. We have some of the best highways in the country and new ones are being build and existing highways improved everyday. 4. Toll Roads...Get use to it...at least it allows visitors to pay a share of the upkeep instead of having a state income tax. 5. Al Gore....Perry supported him in the Democratic PRIMARIES only. Hell founder, you live here. You should not be so ignorant.

I'm impressed that you could read through all that garbage. I just got through the first few paragraphs, and that was only to convince myself that it was trash before I responded with common sense and actual knowledge of using the health care services there.

You have way more patience than I.

If we really want to move our country forward, we need to focus our attention and resources on strong candidates such as Ron Paul. There is no way that Perry can win the presidency.

sweetbasil said:
If we really want to move our country forward, we need to focus our attention and resources on strong candidates such as Ron Paul. There is no way that Perry can win the presidency.

There is NO way Ron Paul can even get nominated.

TexasBred said:
Mike said:

America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks

Rank

City

Freeway

Vehicles per day

Annual hours of delay (in thousands)

1. Los Angeles

US-101

US-101 (Ventura Fwy) at I-405 Interchange

2. Houston

I-610

I-610 at I-10 Interchange (West)

3. Chicago

I-90

I-90/94 at I-290 Interchange ("Circle Interchange")

Read more: America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931285.html#ixzz1VVUgNTmz

snip...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931285.html

HERE IS FROM ONE OF REPUBLICAN'S FAVORITE NEWS SOURCES

Top Ten Deadliest Stretches of Road in America

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 By Maxim Lott

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490940,00.html#ixzz1VVaxifKY

While Congress is busy hammering out the details of the $838 billion-and-counting economic recovery bill, the 50 states are already releasing their wish lists for the projects they want to see funded. Among those are numerous roads and highways that they want to see improved.

But where do you start? Which pothole do you fill first?

FOXNews.com analyzed data from crash reports over the last five years to determine which stretches of the nation's roads had the highest number of deadly accidents.

Not too surprisingly, the most populated state, California, had four of the top 10 roads in numbers of fatalities. And three of those top 10 were stretches of the same Interstate — I-10 in California and Arizona.

Eight of the top 10 were in Western states — California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas. The other two roads were in Florida. And all but the last road on the list were major Interstates.

If you live in the neighborhood, you probably already are aware of the danger that lurks ahead. If you don't, but you're planning on doing some cross-country travel, be alert:

SNIP...

5) 153 deaths: I-45 in Harris County, Texas

A man was killed last month when he was speeding and missed a turn on I-45 near Fuqua. The car rolled over at least twice and ended in a ditch, FOX 26 reported.

State officials say the sheer amount of traffic on the road is the main problem.

"[I-45] is a major traffic corridor through the city of Houston. Whenever you have more cars, you're going to have more crashes," said Mark Cross, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation.

The Texas DOT has identified $3 million in safety improvements, such as signs and pavement markings, that it would like to see funded with federal stimulus money.

SNIP...

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490940,00.html#ixzz1VVbaQpZ8

America's 100 Deadliest Highways May 31, 2010 6:48 PM EDT

With summer driving season here, so is the deadliest part of the year on the road. The Daily Beast crunches the numbers to determine the 100 interstates most likely to generate a fatal wreck.

#13, I-35 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 504.15 Fatal accidents: 579 Fatal accidents per mile: 1.15 Total fatalities: 659

#14, I-45 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 284.91 Fatal accidents: 325 Fatal accidents per mile: 1.14 Total fatalities: 388

#41, I-30 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 223.74 Fatal accidents: 179 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.80 Total fatalities: 201

#68, I-10 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 881 Fatal accidents: 502 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.57 Total fatalities: 591

#80, I-20 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 636.08 Fatal accidents: 337 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.53 Total fatalities: 390

#96, I-44 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 14.77 Fatal accidents: 7 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.47 Total fatalities: 7

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/05/31/deadliest-highways-ranking-the-100-interstates-most-likely-to-cause-a-fatal-crash.html

America's 50 Worst Commutes

Mar 7, 2011 8:36 PM EST

These are the highways to hell. For the second straight year, The Daily Beast ranks the roads with the worst rush hour gridlock. How does your commute rank?

More than merely expensive, long commutes are mentally debilitating. They're also completely, absolutely avoidable. With that in mind, The Daily Beast set out to determine, for the second consecutive year, which cities have the worst commutes—and specifically, which stretches of road within each city experience the worst congestion.

To find America's Highways from Hell, we started with newly released data from traffic-tracking firm INRIX, which culls data from 4 million vehicles nationwide using GPS units and a smartphone application.

We pared and ranked our top 50 worst metropolitan areas for traffic for 2010 using INRIX's Travel Time Tax—the percentage of time it takes to navigate the area's roadways during rush hour compared to uninterrupted travel periods. Los Angeles, no surprise, fared the worst, with a TTT of more than 35 percent. Then, using INRIX's analysis, we culled:

The worst corridor or bottleneck: A bottleneck is typically less than 3 miles long while a corridor is usually more than 3 miles. A corridor is a stretch of consecutive bottlenecks that experience significant congestion. While many larger metropolitan areas have corridors, smaller areas have only bottlenecks and experience relatively brief periods of congestion.

The rush-hour travel tax for the worst corridor or bottleneck: The Los Angeles section of the Riverside Freeway has one particularly bad stretch of about 20 miles. With a Travel Time Tax of 183 percent, it will take the average driver 183 percent more time to travel this stretch during rush hour than during uninterrupted travel periods. TTT is the price the driver pays for using the corridor during rush hour.

Average minutes per mile: At a rate of 65 miles per hour, driving a mile should take just under one minute. Not so on the Highways from Hell. A single mile on some of these roads can take more than four minutes to drive during the worst rush hours.

Do you drive one of America's Highways From Hell? Read on.

Read the Full List.

#14, Southwest/Eastex Freeways (US-59 Northbound), Houston

Worst corridor: Buffalo Speedway through I-45 Length of worst corridor: 4.8 miles Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 202% Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 14 minutes Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.97 minutes

Commuter Buzz: "There's a lot of congestion that we see between 59 and Bissonnet," Travis Younkin, director of Capital Projects for the Upper Kirby Management District, said last month. "There's a lot of Greenway Plaza traffic, H-E-B and Kroger do a lot of business there, and a lot of cars use Buffalo to get from the residential components in West U. to the freeway and farther north."

#19, North Freeway (I-35W Northbound), Dallas

Worst corridor: Rosedale St./Exit 49B through Western Center Blvd./Exit 58 Length of worst corridor: 9.5 miles Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 157% Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 24 minutes Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.54 minutes

Commuter Buzz: "With the heavy traffic we routinely experience on I-35, especially on the weekends, it has been trying on motorists. There have been lengthy backups even before football season," David Meuser, spokesman for the Oklahoma Transportation Department, told The Oklahoman last September in reference to football fans driving to Dallas.

#36, 1-10 Eastbound, El Paso TX Worst bottleneck: McRae Blvd./Exit 28A Length of worst bottleneck: .88 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 23 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 24.6 mph

Commuter Buzz: "Even if El Pasoans don't think traffic is an issue here, it really is. People deal with it every day," said Edgar Fino, a traffic engineer with the Texas Department of Transportation, as reported by the El Paso Times last September.

#37, US-83 Southbound, McAllen-Edinburg-Mission TX Worst bottleneck: US-83 Bus Length of worst bottleneck: .70 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 5 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 28 mph

Commuter Buzz: "It's a very densely-used interchange, and you're going to have those peak hour congestion problems," said Texas Department of Transportation district engineer Mario Jorge of the roadway. "The question is at what point do we spend to fix it, but first we've got to find the funds."

#38, 1-90 Westbound, Cleveland Worst bottleneck: Chester Ave./Exit 173 Length of worst bottleneck: .23 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 17 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 15.9 mph

Commuter Buzz: Add a dash of rain, and the road can act like "a section of ice," Brian Beal told The Cleveland Plain Dealer, describing the hazardous pavement sealant that was applied to parts of Interstate 90 last winter.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/08/50-worst-commutes-americas-highways-to-hell.html

Open Letter to Rush & Hannity: Steer clear of Rick Perry

Written by Terri Hall

Thursday, 18 August 2011

Note: Sean Hannity went on a tirade against toll hikes in New York and New Jersey. Then in the same show praised Rick Perry as a conservative. Rush has been on the Perry bandwagon along with Glenn Beck. Either these guys don't vet a candidate's conservative credentials before they back 'em or they're going along with the establishment that truly fears an outsider they can't control, like a Ron Paul type of candidate.

Dear Hannity, Limbaugh, and Beck,

There's something you've got to know. I'm a Texan, and Rick Perry is the BIGGEST toll-tax happy Governor in the nation. He's trying to turn every single lane of a highway near my house into a tollway and make us pay TWICE for what's already built and paid for. He's doing it all over Texas with over 500 toll projects being contemplated RIGHT NOW, while he tries to tell America he's cut taxes.

Even worse, he's trying to sell-off our public highway system to foreign companies in public private partnerships or PPPs (right out of the the Agenda 21 playbook). PPPs are sweetheart deals with massive taxpayer subsidies (that socialize the losses and privatize the profits) and charge us 75 cents PER MILE to access our PUBLIC roads.

On one road in DFW that translates to $13/day in new taxes or over $3,000 a year MORE per year just to get to work. Meanwhile, he signed a budget that INCREASED diversions of our state gas taxes to non-road uses (fuel taxes are supposed to be Constitutionally dedicated fund only for roads, so he's violated the Texas Constitution!). That same budget was 'balanced' using accounting gimmicks putting payments to Medicaid and schools into the next budget year to get them off this budget's books and make it look 'balanced,' plus he's amassed a whopping $31 billion in road debt in just 5 years -- meanwhile State spending has nearly doubled on Rick Perry's watch...yet he claims to be all about upholding the Constitution and purports himself to be a fiscal conservative.

And all this is aside from his biggest albatross....the Trans Texas Corridor. It was to be a 4,000 mile network of toll roads 1,200 feet wide (that's FOUR football fields wide - would have bisected whole communities and displaced 1 million people on just the first corridor) and the biggest land grab in TX history forcibly taking 580,000 acres of private Texans' land and handing it over to a foreign company in one of these PPPs for a HALF CENTURY. Texans rebelled and the legislature finally repealed it, but Perry still lists it as one of his many accomplishments.

If you don't like the unaccountable taxation of toll roads (in the hands of unelected bureaucrats no less), then you won't like Rick Perry. Steer clear. Then there's his corporate welfare slush funds, the HPV vaccine mandate (as a pay-off to campaign donor Merck and its lobbyist, a former Perry staffer Mike Toomey), his weakness on illegal immigration and securing our borders, the revolving door between his aides and those doing business with the state, steering public money and high level appointments to his campaign donors, and the list goes on and on. Perry's rhetoric doesn't match his record.

If you want more info, we Texans have formed a grassroots organization established to fight this stuff: www.TexasTURF.org.

http://texasturf.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Texas unemployment rate hits its highest mark since 1987 (updated)

By Jason Embry and Laylan Copelin | Friday, August 19, 2011, 03:23 PM

As Gov. Rick Perry touts job creation and limited government on the campaign trail, the Texas' unemployment rate tied a 1987 record in July and the Austin-area took the brunt of the state's job losses in the public sector.

The Texas Workforce Commission on Friday termed the employment results "mixed" because the state added 29,300 jobs but the seasonally adjusted jobless rate increased from 8.2 percent in June to 8.4 percent last month.

Having the state tie a 24-year high for unemployment rate could be coming at just the wrong time for Perry. Perry has long called Texas a national jobs-creation leader in a country besieged by unemployment. He traveled through Iowa this week on a bus with "get America working again" painted on the side.

The latest unemployment numbers could weaken that message. The rate hasn't been this high since the mid-1980s oil bust. And even though Texas has received numerous accolades for creating more jobs in recent years than any other state, 26 states had a lower unemployment rate in July.

The Texas rate is still lower than the country's, which was 9.1 percent in July. But that gap is closing.

"If Gov. Perry takes the credit, he should take the blame," said state Rep. Jessica Farrar of Houston, who leads the House Democratic Caucus.

Perry's campaign pointed to the increase in the raw number of jobs.

"Texas created more than 29,000 net new jobs last month, the second most of any state," said Perry spokesman Mark Miner. "Over the past year has added more jobs than any other state."

Mark Dotzour, a Texas A&M economist, said July's numbers show "we're struggling mightily with the rest of the country to keep our heads above water."

The net job gain of 29,300 jobs is the 10th consecutive month that Texas has shown job growth. Nine of the 11 industry sectors showed job gains, but there were 6,000 fewer construction jobs and 9,400 fewer government positions.

The Austin area accounted for 8,100 of those 9,400 public sector losses. The local unemployment rate remained unchanged from June's 7.6 percent. But the overall job growth rate in Central Texas, at 1.8 percent, trails a statewide rate of 2.6 percent, the highest level for Texas since April 2008.

Angelos Angelou with Angelou Economics said the Austin figures are less reliable than the state numbers. For one thing, the state figures are seasonally adjusted and the local numbers are not.

Also, Angelou said Austin has a large number of small businesses whose job numbers are not captured by the survey.

Still, Central Texas' annual growth rate of 1.8 percent trails Angelou's forecast for 2.5 percent growth this year.

"Overall, Austin's numbers aren't bad," he said. "But they are not something to brag about."

How can Texas add jobs and its unemployment rate continue to rise?

"I've been hearing that people are moving to Texas without a job," Dotzour said. "What we are seeing is a confirmation of this."

That seems to be particularly true in Austin.

Dotzour said last year he was expecting Austin to fill 2,500 additional apartments but instead there was an increase of 9,400 — at a much higher than job growth.

He said all levels of government —from city hall to the schoolhouse to the Capitol — have cut budgets and shrunk the public workforce.

"They've bitten the bullet and it's been very painful," Dotzour said. "We're probably experiencing the peak of pain" in the governmen tsector.

Farrar said the spending cuts that lawmakers made to public schools, universities and scholarship programs this year would hurt the state's efforts to add jobs in the future.

"We're actually headed toward an economy with low skills and low wages," Farrar said.

Get more Legislative coverage inside the Virtual Capitol

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2011/08/19/texas_unemployment_rate_hits_i.html

Aug 13, 2011 at 15:43:59 in Politics

"SEE how perry helps balance the budget in Texas ;

Fee meant for poor is used to aid GOP cause

By PATRICIA KILDAY HART Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle

Aug. 7, 2011, 6:58PM

AAhh, air-condit­ion-ing! Is there anything quite so sweet as a frigid Freon-fluf­fed breeze on an August day in Houston?

The participan­ts at the prayer vigil organized by Gov. Rick Perry were treated to arctic blasts of the stuff Saturday, with Reliant Stadium's 12,000 tons of air-condit­ioning keeping temperatur­es nippy. But as historic temperatur­es scorch Texas for the third straight month with triple-dig­it misery, $650 million collected from Texas electricit­y consumers to assist poor elderly and disabled citizens with their utility bills sits idly in a state bank account.

Instead of serving its intended humanitari­an purpose, the state's $650 million System Benefit Fund now serves a political one — permitting Perry and other Republican leaders to keep their "no new taxes" pledge.

In February, the Perry-appo­inted Public Utility Commission voted to reduce aid distribute­d from the fund, allowing its corpus to grow ever bigger. The fund, a big positive entry in the state comptrolle­r's ledger of the state's fiscal condition, is now an essential tool in "balancing­" the state's budget...

http://www­.chron.com­/disp/stor­y.mpl/metr­opolitan/k­ildayhart/­7687224.ht­ml"

flounder said:
TexasBred said:
Mike said:

America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks

Rank

City

Freeway

Vehicles per day

Annual hours of delay (in thousands)

1. Los Angeles

US-101

US-101 (Ventura Fwy) at I-405 Interchange

2. Houston

I-610

I-610 at I-10 Interchange (West)

3. Chicago

I-90

I-90/94 at I-290 Interchange ("Circle Interchange")

Read more: America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931285.html#ixzz1VVUgNTmz

snip...

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931285.html

HERE IS FROM ONE OF REPUBLICAN'S FAVORITE NEWS SOURCES

Top Ten Deadliest Stretches of Road in America

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 By Maxim Lott

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490940,00.html#ixzz1VVaxifKY

While Congress is busy hammering out the details of the $838 billion-and-counting economic recovery bill, the 50 states are already releasing their wish lists for the projects they want to see funded. Among those are numerous roads and highways that they want to see improved.

But where do you start? Which pothole do you fill first?

FOXNews.com analyzed data from crash reports over the last five years to determine which stretches of the nation's roads had the highest number of deadly accidents.

Not too surprisingly, the most populated state, California, had four of the top 10 roads in numbers of fatalities. And three of those top 10 were stretches of the same Interstate — I-10 in California and Arizona.

Eight of the top 10 were in Western states — California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas. The other two roads were in Florida. And all but the last road on the list were major Interstates.

If you live in the neighborhood, you probably already are aware of the danger that lurks ahead. If you don't, but you're planning on doing some cross-country travel, be alert:

SNIP...

5) 153 deaths: I-45 in Harris County, Texas

A man was killed last month when he was speeding and missed a turn on I-45 near Fuqua. The car rolled over at least twice and ended in a ditch, FOX 26 reported.

State officials say the sheer amount of traffic on the road is the main problem.

"[I-45] is a major traffic corridor through the city of Houston. Whenever you have more cars, you're going to have more crashes," said Mark Cross, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation.

The Texas DOT has identified $3 million in safety improvements, such as signs and pavement markings, that it would like to see funded with federal stimulus money.

SNIP...

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490940,00.html#ixzz1VVbaQpZ8

America's 100 Deadliest Highways May 31, 2010 6:48 PM EDT

With summer driving season here, so is the deadliest part of the year on the road. The Daily Beast crunches the numbers to determine the 100 interstates most likely to generate a fatal wreck.

#13, I-35 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 504.15 Fatal accidents: 579 Fatal accidents per mile: 1.15 Total fatalities: 659

#14, I-45 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 284.91 Fatal accidents: 325 Fatal accidents per mile: 1.14 Total fatalities: 388

#41, I-30 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 223.74 Fatal accidents: 179 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.80 Total fatalities: 201

#68, I-10 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 881 Fatal accidents: 502 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.57 Total fatalities: 591

#80, I-20 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 636.08 Fatal accidents: 337 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.53 Total fatalities: 390

#96, I-44 Texas

2004-2008 In-state miles: 14.77 Fatal accidents: 7 Fatal accidents per mile: 0.47 Total fatalities: 7

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/05/31/deadliest-highways-ranking-the-100-interstates-most-likely-to-cause-a-fatal-crash.html

America's 50 Worst Commutes

Mar 7, 2011 8:36 PM EST

These are the highways to hell. For the second straight year, The Daily Beast ranks the roads with the worst rush hour gridlock. How does your commute rank?

More than merely expensive, long commutes are mentally debilitating. They're also completely, absolutely avoidable. With that in mind, The Daily Beast set out to determine, for the second consecutive year, which cities have the worst commutes—and specifically, which stretches of road within each city experience the worst congestion.

To find America's Highways from Hell, we started with newly released data from traffic-tracking firm INRIX, which culls data from 4 million vehicles nationwide using GPS units and a smartphone application.

We pared and ranked our top 50 worst metropolitan areas for traffic for 2010 using INRIX's Travel Time Tax—the percentage of time it takes to navigate the area's roadways during rush hour compared to uninterrupted travel periods. Los Angeles, no surprise, fared the worst, with a TTT of more than 35 percent. Then, using INRIX's analysis, we culled:

The worst corridor or bottleneck: A bottleneck is typically less than 3 miles long while a corridor is usually more than 3 miles. A corridor is a stretch of consecutive bottlenecks that experience significant congestion. While many larger metropolitan areas have corridors, smaller areas have only bottlenecks and experience relatively brief periods of congestion.

The rush-hour travel tax for the worst corridor or bottleneck: The Los Angeles section of the Riverside Freeway has one particularly bad stretch of about 20 miles. With a Travel Time Tax of 183 percent, it will take the average driver 183 percent more time to travel this stretch during rush hour than during uninterrupted travel periods. TTT is the price the driver pays for using the corridor during rush hour.

Average minutes per mile: At a rate of 65 miles per hour, driving a mile should take just under one minute. Not so on the Highways from Hell. A single mile on some of these roads can take more than four minutes to drive during the worst rush hours.

Do you drive one of America's Highways From Hell? Read on.

Read the Full List.

#14, Southwest/Eastex Freeways (US-59 Northbound), Houston

Worst corridor: Buffalo Speedway through I-45 Length of worst corridor: 4.8 miles Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 202% Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 14 minutes Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.97 minutes

Commuter Buzz: "There's a lot of congestion that we see between 59 and Bissonnet," Travis Younkin, director of Capital Projects for the Upper Kirby Management District, said last month. "There's a lot of Greenway Plaza traffic, H-E-B and Kroger do a lot of business there, and a lot of cars use Buffalo to get from the residential components in West U. to the freeway and farther north."

#19, North Freeway (I-35W Northbound), Dallas

Worst corridor: Rosedale St./Exit 49B through Western Center Blvd./Exit 58 Length of worst corridor: 9.5 miles Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 157% Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 24 minutes Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.54 minutes

Commuter Buzz: "With the heavy traffic we routinely experience on I-35, especially on the weekends, it has been trying on motorists. There have been lengthy backups even before football season," David Meuser, spokesman for the Oklahoma Transportation Department, told The Oklahoman last September in reference to football fans driving to Dallas.

#36, 1-10 Eastbound, El Paso TX Worst bottleneck: McRae Blvd./Exit 28A Length of worst bottleneck: .88 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 23 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 24.6 mph

Commuter Buzz: "Even if El Pasoans don't think traffic is an issue here, it really is. People deal with it every day," said Edgar Fino, a traffic engineer with the Texas Department of Transportation, as reported by the El Paso Times last September.

#37, US-83 Southbound, McAllen-Edinburg-Mission TX Worst bottleneck: US-83 Bus Length of worst bottleneck: .70 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 5 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 28 mph

Commuter Buzz: "It's a very densely-used interchange, and you're going to have those peak hour congestion problems," said Texas Department of Transportation district engineer Mario Jorge of the roadway. "The question is at what point do we spend to fix it, but first we've got to find the funds."

#38, 1-90 Westbound, Cleveland Worst bottleneck: Chester Ave./Exit 173 Length of worst bottleneck: .23 miles Weekly congestion time on worst bottleneck: 17 hours Speed of worst bottleneck when congested: 15.9 mph

Commuter Buzz: Add a dash of rain, and the road can act like "a section of ice," Brian Beal told The Cleveland Plain Dealer, describing the hazardous pavement sealant that was applied to parts of Interstate 90 last winter.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/08/50-worst-commutes-americas-highways-to-hell.html

Open Letter to Rush & Hannity: Steer clear of Rick Perry

Written by Terri Hall

Thursday, 18 August 2011

Note: Sean Hannity went on a tirade against toll hikes in New York and New Jersey. Then in the same show praised Rick Perry as a conservative. Rush has been on the Perry bandwagon along with Glenn Beck. Either these guys don't vet a candidate's conservative credentials before they back 'em or they're going along with the establishment that truly fears an outsider they can't control, like a Ron Paul type of candidate.

Dear Hannity, Limbaugh, and Beck,

There's something you've got to know. I'm a Texan, and Rick Perry is the BIGGEST toll-tax happy Governor in the nation. He's trying to turn every single lane of a highway near my house into a tollway and make us pay TWICE for what's already built and paid for. He's doing it all over Texas with over 500 toll projects being contemplated RIGHT NOW, while he tries to tell America he's cut taxes.

Even worse, he's trying to sell-off our public highway system to foreign companies in public private partnerships or PPPs (right out of the the Agenda 21 playbook). PPPs are sweetheart deals with massive taxpayer subsidies (that socialize the losses and privatize the profits) and charge us 75 cents PER MILE to access our PUBLIC roads.

On one road in DFW that translates to $13/day in new taxes or over $3,000 a year MORE per year just to get to work. Meanwhile, he signed a budget that INCREASED diversions of our state gas taxes to non-road uses (fuel taxes are supposed to be Constitutionally dedicated fund only for roads, so he's violated the Texas Constitution!). That same budget was 'balanced' using accounting gimmicks putting payments to Medicaid and schools into the next budget year to get them off this budget's books and make it look 'balanced,' plus he's amassed a whopping $31 billion in road debt in just 5 years -- meanwhile State spending has nearly doubled on Rick Perry's watch...yet he claims to be all about upholding the Constitution and purports himself to be a fiscal conservative.

And all this is aside from his biggest albatross....the Trans Texas Corridor. It was to be a 4,000 mile network of toll roads 1,200 feet wide (that's FOUR football fields wide - would have bisected whole communities and displaced 1 million people on just the first corridor) and the biggest land grab in TX history forcibly taking 580,000 acres of private Texans' land and handing it over to a foreign company in one of these PPPs for a HALF CENTURY. Texans rebelled and the legislature finally repealed it, but Perry still lists it as one of his many accomplishments.

If you don't like the unaccountable taxation of toll roads (in the hands of unelected bureaucrats no less), then you won't like Rick Perry. Steer clear. Then there's his corporate welfare slush funds, the HPV vaccine mandate (as a pay-off to campaign donor Merck and its lobbyist, a former Perry staffer Mike Toomey), his weakness on illegal immigration and securing our borders, the revolving door between his aides and those doing business with the state, steering public money and high level appointments to his campaign donors, and the list goes on and on. Perry's rhetoric doesn't match his record.

If you want more info, we Texans have formed a grassroots organization established to fight this stuff: www.TexasTURF.org.

http://texasturf.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Let me take a stab at this. I didn't read your post, but skimmed a couple of snippits.. So without reading for content, I still bet I can disprove your post.

What is the largest state in the nation? How many roads does it have per square mile and total per state does it have? What is the second largest state in the nation? How many highways per square mile and total per state does it have? What is the third largest state in the nation? How many highways per square mile and totatl does it have? How many times does each show up on your list?

I will bet that the states with the most roads have the largest chance to have roads that will need to be repaired... genius concept huh?

Secondly, the areas with the most total populations will likely have more congested areas as a given chance.

What is the average speed that is traveled in each state- as increased speed is corelated to fatalities is it not? More cars may increase your chance of a wreck, but the incrased speed is what is needed for a fatality.

You can't have it both ways. If I am sitting in gridlock- there is no velocity to kill me with. So fatalities actually go down. If I can travel at high speeds, because congestion is relieved- then fatalities will increase.

The junk articles you keep reporting are damaging your intelligence and with each one, you are hurting your perception here.

How did I do? Do I really need to read it all?

Just more trash posted by Terry the flipper,, if he spent as much time doing things that are productive as he does posting trash then people MIGHT take him serious, as it stands he is just laughable

Poor terry just watch, he will post more garbage to try and make himself look better, :roll: :roll: :roll: But mostly just to waste oxygen,

OldTimer said:
I always wonder why these illegals settled in these states- unless they found ideal conditions for living- and employees that would put them to work--WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW UNDER THE RONALD REAGAN SIGNED AMNESTY BILL OF 1986- better known as the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 .....
Could this be because of "greedy" employers breaking the law not wanting to pay a wage high enough to get legal employees - except illegal serfs- which they could jack around and dump anytime they didn't follow the Kingdoms every wish Say what?

With good law abiding citizens involved that refused to hire illegals that law should have taken care of the problem....

well since Obama took over a few years back, many illegals have left.. and a new term has arisen "self deportation"

and ironically these numbers have been added to the total deported..

but one number seems stuck.. at about ZERO..

care to ask what that number represents... the number of employers prosecuted under Obama?

only thirteen employers in eight cases were prosecuted for the felony offense of illegal hiring of undocumented workers
http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/crim/223/

in case you didn't see it is quoted in the left corner in a box, and in the fifth bullet point..

... only thirteen employers in eight cases were prosecuted for the felony offense of illegal hiring of undocumented workers.

http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/crim/223/

under Bush..
2008,.. 836 employers were charged.
May 5, 2008 – They said that in the past two months 137 companies have been ... of last year and double the number of prosecutions in the past decade.
[/quote]

yep ol' law and order Obama just isn't up to the task of getting the bosses..

so if prosecutions in general are up.. and Bush was focusing on employers.. who is Obama going after.. Whitman's maid? someone's landscaper?

I am glad he is getting someone.. but it sure isn't one of his doners...

WHICH IS AGAINST THE LAW UNDER THE RONALD REAGAN SIGNED AMNESTY BILL OF 1986

Ronald Reagan never signed an "AMNESTY" Bill.

He signed an immigration reform bill but it granted "Amnesty" to NO ONE.

It outlined a pathway to citizenship if certain obligations and restrictions were followed.

But "Amnesty"? No.

Lying again? :roll:

Mike said:

It outlined a pathway to citizenship if certain obligations and restrictions were followed.

But "Amnesty"? No.

The world recognized it as and called it an Amnesty...Even Ronald Reagan called it hat..

Reagan And Amnesty

Nowadays, conservative commentators like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh often invoke the former president as a champion of the conservative agenda. Sean Hannity of Fox News even has a regular segment called "What Would Reagan Do?"

Simpson, however, sees a different person in the president he called a "dear friend."

Reagan "knew that it was not right for people to be abused," Simpson says. "Anybody who's here illegally is going to be abused in some way, either financially [or] physically. They have no rights."

Peter Robinson, a former Reagan speechwriter, agrees. "It was in Ronald Reagan's bones — it was part of his understanding of America — that the country was fundamentally open to those who wanted to join us here."

Reagan said as much himself in a televised debate with Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale in 1984.

"I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," he said.

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

But "Amnesty"? No.

The world recognized it as and called it an Amnesty...Even Ronald Reagan called it hat..

Reagan And Amnesty

Nowadays, conservative commentators like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh often invoke the former president as a champion of the conservative agenda. Sean Hannity of Fox News even has a regular segment called "What Would Reagan Do?"

Simpson, however, sees a different person in the president he called a "dear friend."

Reagan "knew that it was not right for people to be abused," Simpson says. "Anybody who's here illegally is going to be abused in some way, either financially [or] physically. They have no rights."

Peter Robinson, a former Reagan speechwriter, agrees. "It was in Ronald Reagan's bones — it was part of his understanding of America — that the country was fundamentally open to those who wanted to join us here."

Reagan said as much himself in a televised debate with Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale in 1984.

"I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," he said.

You're a mighty stupid individual there hoss. :roll:

Read this very slow and deliberate.....................

THE IMMIGRATION BILL, SIGNED BY REAGAN, WAS NOT CALLED AN AMNESTY BILL WHEN IT PASSED BECAUSE IT DID NOT GRANT AUTOMATIC AMNESTY TO ANY ILLEGAL.

RONALD REAGAN HIMSELF DID NOT CALL IT AN AMNESTY BILL EITHER!!!!!!!

YOU & YOUR KIND CALLED IT REAGANS AMNESTY BILL BECAUSE YOU WANT IT TO BE SO!!!! IT'S NOT!!!!!!!

Don't you comprehend English? :roll:

For the life of me I can't understand when some people are wrong they just can't say:

"My mistake". It's a very simple concept that many others do each & everyday. :???:

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

But "Amnesty"? No.

Reagan And Amnesty

You're a mighty stupid individual there hoss. :roll:

Read this very slow and deliberate.....................

THE IMMIGRATION BILL, SIGNED BY REAGAN, WAS NOT CALLED AN AMNESTY BILL WHEN IT PASSED BECAUSE IT DID NOT GRANT AUTOMATIC AMNESTY TO ANY ILLEGAL.

RONALD REAGAN HIMSELF DID NOT CALL IT AN AMNESTY BILL EITHER!!!!!!!

YOU & YOUR KIND CALLED IT REAGANS AMNESTY BILL BECAUSE YOU WANT IT TO BE SO!!!! IT'S NOT!!!!!!!

Don't you comprehend English? :roll:

For the life of me I can't understand when some people are wrong they just can't say:

"My mistake". It's a very simple concept that many others do each & everyday. :???:

THE SECOND 1984 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE OCTOBER 28, 1984

snip...

REAGAN: Georgie, and we, believe me, supported the Simpson-Mazzoli Bill strongly, and the bill that came out of the Senate. However, there were things added in in the House side that we felt made it less of a good bill; as a matter of fact, made it a bad bill. And in conference, we stayed with them in conference all the way to where even Senator Simpson did not want the bill in the manner in which it would come out of the conference committee. There were a number of things in there that weakened that bill - I can't go into detail about them here. But it is true our borders are out of control, it is also true that this has been a situation on our borders back through a number of Administrations.

And I supported this bill, I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here, even though some time back they may have entered illegally.

With regard to the employer sanctions, we must have that - not only to ensure that we can identify the illegal aliens but also, while some keep protesting about what it would do to employers, there is another employer that we shouldn't be so concerned about, and these are employers down through the years who have encouraged the illegal entry into this country because they then hire these individuals and hire them at starvation wages and with none of the benefits that we think are normal and natural for workers in our country. And the individuals can't complain because of their illegal status. We don't think that those people should be allowed to continue operating free, and this was why the provisions that we had in with regard to sanctions and so forth. And I'm going to do everything I can, and all of us in the Administration are, to join in again when Congress is back at it to get an immigration bill that will give us once again control of our borders. And with regard to friendship below the border with the countries down there, yes, no Administration that I know has established the relationship that we have with our Latin friends. But as long as they have an economy that leaves so many people in dire poverty and unemployment, they are going to seek that employment across our borders. And we work with those other countries.

snip...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/debatingourdestiny/84debates/2prez3.html

I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and who have lived here

Lot's of difference between this quote and calling the BILL "Reagan's Amnesty Bill".

It was not an Amnesty Bill. It granted a pathway to citizenship but not "AMNESTY" for all the illegals here at the time.

There were strings to pull, restrictions and regulations to follow before one could become a citizen. BUT NO AUTOMATIC AMNESTY.

Read it:
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/PUBLAW/HTML/PUBLAW/0-0-0-15.html

Latest posts