• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pertinent question for those having a crystal ball

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
If it helps any, we kept our heifers at home and fed them only grass hay
and mineral. No cake, or other supplement. They did fine and bred up
really good. Others do that here as well. By spring we were feeding them
up to 18-20# of hay. We had that scale on the processor so we knew fairly
close what they were getting.

Same programme here without the processor. :)

Silver said:
Faster horses said:
If it helps any, we kept our heifers at home and fed them only grass hay
and mineral. No cake, or other supplement. They did fine and bred up
really good. Others do that here as well. By spring we were feeding them
up to 18-20# of hay. We had that scale on the processor so we knew fairly
close what they were getting.

Same programme here without the processor. :)
Misc random thoughts----

For starters--I don't believe you can starve a profit outa anything. That being said---there's a lotta feed that's put out to make the cow OWNER feel better. An old timer saying is 'if you can't see the back 2 ribs on your cows---you ain't runnin enuf cows. Some yrlg guys won't run cows as cows can flucuate in weight maybe 2-300 lbs over a yr, and they won't pay to put on weight that nobody pays them for. Some cow guys figure it's natures way, they're storing energy in mid gestation and let 'em burn some of it later on.

Maybe there are really very few 'bad' cows. One that comes in hog fat, bred back, with a small calf might be the perfect fit for a harsher envirionment. One that comes in with a whopper calf, skinny herself and open---might be perfect someplace lusher. The cows will sort themselves to fit your place---if you let them.

We like to keep the 'bloom' on heifer calves for a while---kinda get them off to running start. Then we back off a bit---and by turn out, they're almost standing still, weight wise but putting on some frame. Calving apr/may, they get a nice flush with green grass and breed up pretty good.

Probably avg close to 1,000 @ preg check. Probably some is 'compensatory gain'---you gotta grow them out sooner or later. I don't worry too much about the 70% (or whatever it is) of mature weight at breeding time. Hell, when you got problems with calves getting bred sucking if you don't get the bulls out in time---you got some fertility.

I got a neighbor who roughs his thru to the point where i'd be embarrassed---field grubbed off, they look rougher than hell----but breeding in june, they been getting 97% or better catch--on 4-500 head. It ain't all about condition score---it's which direction they came from to get to it. Increasing score is a green light.

Amazing how much hay calves can eat---or waste---almost as much as mature cow. If you're feeding so much that all your heifers get bred up---maybe you're feeding too much? And putting -0- selection pressure on them. If a females gonna come in open---first preg check is about as good as it gets for a time to do it.

I know some guys whose cattle Never see a pound of grain---in cake or any form---figger it changes their rumen. And too much push can sure screw up an udder for life.

as far as topic that i've wandered away from like a lost sheep---generally cheaper to take cows to the feed---us, we'll hi-grade and keep some and sell the rest---don't like all the chips in one pile anyhow.

Our heifers/cows never saw a pound of grain in their life, but they didn't weigh 1000# in the fall after being bred, either. And that was fine with
us. They were in good shape, just not big, framy cattle. We got away
from that for a reason.

And I agree that it is cheaper to take the cows to feed. But weaned
heifers in the fall, I'm not sure about that. Depends...we tried it one year and we were NOT happy.

Out this a way, not many outfits background their heifers like ya'll are talking about. Replacements get picked shortly before weaning and may stay on their cows a tad longer depending on the year. They are put on meadow pastures after a couple weeks in the corral when weaned. Then fed grass and oat hay through the winter along with mineral and salt. Some guys i know even turn the heifers out on winter range with the cows and they earn a living right along side the old sisters. We feed hay and save a little of our better hay for closer to spring and try to start them on the upswing as grass approches. Works here. A heifer can't be rail thin but doesnt have to be feedlot fat either for me. Hope whatever ya decide Soap, works for ya. With feed so high and cattle numbers so low, it is sure not an easy answer. But it might be a year to be cautious because i do not have much faith in the direction of our economy and while optimistic usually, think the whole thing could really head south. Having more grass than cows might be worth more than keeping the stocking rate higher and having a lot of expensive heifers that you can't get your money back out of. :?

I would hate to have kept all the heifers and the market collapsed. Right now you can sell the bottom end and get by. Then the cream will be there for the future.

I should'nt comment but I will. I'd think long run if feed is so expensive in nebraska it might be better to cull real hard in the cow herd sell off all the lumps,bumps and anything pushing on the age calender. The feed savings would most likely offset the trucking to get the younger replacements back home in time for calveing. Just a thought but Everyone is full of ideas and until were faced with the situation we don't know how to react.

On the heifers calves I'd look at a years worth of feeding which would pencil better that way.I'd figure the trucking also.Another thought is how your pastures will produce next year ours normally are'nt as productive for a year or so.

This country starts getting rain you'll be walking in tall cotton as they will be worth some serious money.If not hmmmm. It's a tough call.

I wouldn't want to pay more than 25 cents a day tops. :D ...but don't know what a rancher could afford to pay with your status??? I don't see how you guys do it? I need to be over on a hobby farm forum right now though and I don't feed very good....sorry to waste everyone's time reading this! :D

R A said:
I wouldn't want to pay more than 25 cents a day tops. :D ...but don't know what a rancher could afford to pay with your status??? I don't see how you guys do it? I need to be over on a hobby farm forum right now though and I don't feed very good....sorry to waste everyone's time reading this! :D

What's your hay worth on the open market RA?

Then let us know if your wintering cost is still .25 per day.

I meant no offense!!! ...it probably seemed that way.

I'm not good at typing what I mean on this stuff!!! I couldn't have cows ever figuring what the hay is worth on the open market in a cheap year much less this year.....( I don't see how you guys do it).

I shouldn't of posted anything. It was out of being curious...I don't know anything about this stuff. I have never figured what it costs me to feed a cow until yesterday.

I'll go back to playing in the pasture with my camera. :D

R A said:
I meant no offense!!! ...it probably seemed that way.

I'm not good at typing what I mean on this stuff!!! I couldn't have cows ever figuring what the hay is worth on the open market in a cheap year much less this year.....( I don't see how you guys do it).

I shouldn't of posted anything. It was out of being curious...I don't know anything about this stuff. I have never figured what it costs me to feed a cow until yesterday.

I'll go back to playing in the pasture with my camera. :D

Didn't take it as offensive, just tryin' to make you think. :wink: :D

been trying to figure all this out myself, am getting tired of lugging square bales around to a dozen or so different stables and dealing with horse people who change their mind's like they change their underware. however i just can't get a cow or a yearling or any other critter to give me 250 to 300 $ per ton for my hay. my cow's are here to clean up any unsaleable stuff that the weatherman give's us

I was worried it did and am glad it didn't...unless your just being nice :D , everyone on here is very nice!

I need to do some thinking like you said...between johnes and having to start over and bucking bulls and having to start over and "my" only income is my cows, well I traded some pics for a knife awhile back...which put me out of the picture contest on here...lol...(wife works three days a week as a nurse)....I've always just thought about keeping going....not what Soapweed is trying to figure out here.

I won't post on anything like this again, because all this is spanish to me....I can't organize all this spinning...lol. It's just I didn't have to tell anything I can't feed you today last year and things are on the verge of getting better and I don't know how to handle it...lol. The stories I could tell...lol.

I hope you figure it out Soapweed and are rewarded! ...sorry!

hayguy said:
been trying to figure all this out myself, am getting tired of lugging square bales around to a dozen or so different stables and dealing with horse people who change their mind's like they change their underware. however i just can't get a cow or a yearling or any other critter to give me 250 to 300 $ per ton for my hay. my cow's are here to clean up any unsaleable stuff that the weatherman give's us

I'll apologize to you too while I'm at it hayguy! You have asked me some things here and I appreciated it!!! but I answered poorly because I've never really thought about it....lol...sorry for that!

I'll be back when I am not sitting at the little kids table. :D

NO apology required for me. i appreciate your pic's and comments and your enthusiasm for this business. whenever we stop learning we just stop.

Thanks, hayguy!

I guess it's pretty simple really, you get good at what you do and then you can play around with different things like I've maybe witnessed happening with this thread starter this year. :wink:

I have to make a lot of money off of every calf and I'm still short, but if I'm already doing that on a bunch and it's taking care of more than I will ever need...and I have more cattle than that under my control,,,,I can play :D (custom feeding, market hay, etc)....and start a thread to get people's opinions to help make decisions and have morons not understand it like me.... :D

How's that? ....I feel dumb. headed to go join a rabbit forum....

R.A., if you'll take note, you'll see that it's the ones with all the answers that gets a rough ride, not the ones who raise questions! If you think you're dumb enough to join a rabbit forum, then you'll fit in here just A-O.K.! Take a look around - you're in fine company! :D (Well mostly . . . :lol: )

R A said:
....I've always just thought about keeping going....

That's probably the universal thought of people in any business. :wink:

It's the enthusiasm of folks like you that help keep guys like me going. It used to be an Old MacDonalds farm here until I found that a lot of my charges were just taking up time and money. Someday they may find their place in our lives again. :D

gcreekrch said:
R A said:
....I've always just thought about keeping going....

That's probably the universal thought of people in any business. :wink:

It's the enthusiasm of folks like you that help keep guys like me going. It used to be an Old MacDonalds farm here until I found that a lot of my charges were just taking up time and money. Someday they may find their place in our lives again. :D

I will second that notion. R A, your fine photography and positive outlook on life are great attributes. Where you will reap big rewards will be selling books depicting your pictures and wonderfully worded experiences and philosophy. You are truly an inspiration for the rest of us to keep on keepin' on.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on my question. Concerning our heifer calves of weaning age, I think we will keep the best and sell the rest.

Cash is hand in a uncertian economy is worth more than huge feeding bill and a chance at higher profits(?). It may not take much to send the economy in a nasty tail spin and beef price along with it. :cry:

Latest posts