• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pharo Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

From the PCC news letter bulls averaged $6668 and they served 298 meals before running out of food at the Springfield, MO sale. That's about $2000 higher average than a sale I attended at the same venue on the Monday prior to the PCC sale. Somebody must believe in his system.

4Diamond said:
From the PCC news letter bulls averaged $6668 and they served 298 meals before running out of food at the Springfield, MO sale. That's about $2000 higher average than a sale I attended at the same venue on the Monday prior to the PCC sale. Somebody must believe in his system.

Many years ago, I attended a branding at a neighboring ranch. The owner's wife served a real good dinner, but about halfway through the lunch line the stock of beef ran out. Both the rancher and his wife felt terrible. I was near the end of the line and got to see what it was like to feel like a vegetarian. Not good. :( There was an ample supply of beef for dinner the following year. :)

Soapweed said:
4Diamond said:

Many years ago, I attended a branding at a neighboring ranch. The owner's wife served a real good dinner, but about halfway through the lunch line the stock of beef ran out. Both the rancher and his wife felt terrible. I was near the end of the line and got to see what it was like to feel like a vegetarian. Not good. :( There was an ample supply of beef for dinner the following year. :)

My daughter was helping a outfit preg check, wife showed up with lunch for the family. She said her and the vet ate a couple granola bars she found in her truck. Gee we have people show up at lunch time when we brand and work cattle because they know there going to be a good feed. Even lamb shanks a lentils doesn't turn them away.

We're going through a somewhat similar situation at my house right now. #3 (and the last one) is graduating high school next month. We did the big reception for #1 & #2...so to be fair we're doing the same for the boy...same venue, etc. We've NEVER run out of chow for guests at these functions.

Running out of chow at an event where you're asking people to either work for free or spend thousands of dollars with you is pretty low rent in my book, and shows a total lack of planning. I've put on a lot of feed meetings in my day. When I get a confirmed head count, I increase it by 25% with whoever is catering it. Around here you have to guarantee X number of meals, and pay for them, whether that many show up or not. In the past I've brought home a dozen or more steak dinners that we froze and ate later. It wasn't cheap, but we never ran out of food for those attending, and if we had lots of extras, the guests were offered seconds.

Anymore, if the place will do it, it's generally cheaper to let the guests order off the menu and just pay the bill at the end of the night. There is no excuse for running out of food.

At least Kit Pharo is offering SOME FOOD. It hasn't always been that way.
I agree with you totally loomixguy. Same here. We have hosted dinners for customers for
20 years and have NEVER run out of food. I don't know with Kit if it was poor planning or
being cheap, but I'd bet on the latter. :)

There was an old tightwad here years ago (so tight he had no electricity at his house...he was an old bachelor). That old SOB would drive 200 miles one way for a free meal. There wasn't a store or business in town that would allow him to use their restroom. Nobody shed a tear when he died, either.

My neighbors recently had their home and property up for sale. It was priced fairly high for the area, or so I thought, but since their property adjoins mine, and their property and home is similar to mine, I was hopeful for them and myself as well that they would find a buyer that was willing to pay their asking price.

They did, and rather quickly. The parties closed the deal yesterday. I am happy for them, and as it seems the market price for property in my area has appreciated nicely, I am happy for myself as well.

If PCC is offering bulls for sale at a given price, and there are willing parties bidding for that offered bull, then that makes a market. Every seed stock producer should be cheering for them rather than trying to find ways to nitpick and tear a person down after their success.

I think that beyond the envy of Kit Pharo's success by some, the underlying tone of some individuals animosity towards the man is because he wears his Christianity out front for all to see.

He does not use his Christian faith to sell his business. Rather, at his own expense both monetarily and loss of potential customers, he uses his business to promote Christianity. He is openly living his faith as God instructs His followers to do, sharing the Gospel and Good News of Jesus Christ, in the hopes that those who do not believe might be saved from eternal damnation.

And that is where the rub is for some folks. They reject Christ, so they belittle the man carrying the message.

I'm not directing this at anybody in particular, but if the boot fits, wear it. If you don't like how it fits, consider changing your boots.

Best Regards

I truly don't think that people are jealous of Kit's success. After all, this still is a capitalistic society.
I think what they don't care for, is him running down how others run their cattle and the only
right way is HIS way.

The fellow that had to pay for transportation for the bulls he bought, is man who has a strong
belief in God, a very Christian fellow. He also believes in the Golden Rule.

bverellen said:
My neighbors recently had their home and property up for sale. It was priced fairly high for the area, or so I thought, but since their property adjoins mine, and their property and home is similar to mine, I was hopeful for them and myself as well that they would find a buyer that was willing to pay their asking price.

They did, and rather quickly. The parties closed the deal yesterday. I am happy for them, and as it seems the market price for property in my area has appreciated nicely, I am happy for myself as well.

If PCC is offering bulls for sale at a given price, and there are willing parties bidding for that offered bull, then that makes a market. Every seed stock producer should be cheering for them rather than trying to find ways to nitpick and tear a person down after their success.

I think that beyond the envy of Kit Pharo's success by some, the underlying tone of some individuals animosity towards the man is because he wears his Christianity out front for all to see.

He does not use his Christian faith to sell his business. Rather, at his own expense both monetarily and loss of potential customers, he uses his business to promote Christianity. He is openly living his faith as God instructs His followers to do, sharing the Gospel and Good News of Jesus Christ, in the hopes that those who do not believe might be saved from eternal damnation.

And that is where the rub is for some folks. They reject Christ, so they belittle the man carrying the message.

I'm not directing this at anybody in particular, but if the boot fits, wear it. If you don't like how it fits, consider changing your boots.

Best Regards

I do take exception with this entire post. The example of Christ was not one of arrogance or criticism. Those are two attributes, among many other, that are reasonably attributed to Pharo. There is nothing Christlike about the way Pharo treats those who happen to disagree with his particular form of Christianity. Rejecting him and his philosophy has absolutely nothing to do with rejecting Christ. I embraced Christ many years ago and the philosophy that Pharo preaches is a foreign one to me. A family member of mine was on Pharo's mailing list for many years. There was a particular point of doctrine that he was preaching that was quite off base. My family member shared the newsletter in question with another member of my family who has been a minister for over 40 years now. The minister wrote a response and that response was forwarded to Pharo. He wrote back that the minister, essentially didn't know what he was talking about, and then promptly removed the family member from his mailing list. The gospel according to Kit is what he believes in and any one than happens to disagree with his interpretation, regardless of what the actual scriptures say on the subject matter, is apostate. It is incorrect to characterize criticism of Pharo as a rejection of Christ. He is bearing reproach, not for Christ, but because he is rude and arrogant. We can't mistreat people and count their rejection of us as being a rejection of Christ.

rancherfred said:
bverellen said:

Best Regards

I do take exception with this entire post. The example of Christ was not one of arrogance or criticism. Those are two attributes, among many other, that are reasonably attributed to Pharo. There is nothing Christlike about the way Pharo treats those who happen to disagree with his particular form of Christianity. Rejecting him and his philosophy has absolutely nothing to do with rejecting Christ. I embraced Christ many years ago and the philosophy that Pharo preaches is a foreign one to me. A family member of mine was on Pharo's mailing list for many years. There was a particular point of doctrine that he was preaching that was quite off base. My family member shared the newsletter in question with another member of my family who has been a minister for over 40 years now. The minister wrote a response and that response was forwarded to Pharo. He wrote back that the minister, essentially didn't know what he was talking about, and then promptly removed the family member from his mailing list. The gospel according to Kit is what he believes in and any one than happens to disagree with his interpretation, regardless of what the actual scriptures say on the subject matter, is apostate. It is incorrect to characterize criticism of Pharo as a rejection of Christ. He is bearing reproach, not for Christ, but because he is rude and arrogant. We can't mistreat people and count their rejection of us as being a rejection of Christ.

Well said Fred :cowboy:

I think it's Right Said Fred, BMR. ;-)

I don't know anything about this Kit Pharo character, or his cattle....and I don't care to. He seems to have a polarizing effect on people, and that, along with the fact that he professes for all to hear what a wonderful Christian he is, but any dissent from his line of reasoning is verboten, plus some business deals that were less than
forthright....tells me all I need to know about the man. Knowing that, I could give a damn less about what kind of cattle he has. That's my observation, FWIW.

... can't sleep so I'm prowling
These aren't Pharo bulls but maybe some Phine Bulls (is the Ph an "F" sound?) :help:
http://southshadow.homestead.com/Bulls_For_Sale.html
:cowboy:

So two people had a theological difference in opinion and feelings got hurt? No surprise. A simple look in a phone book or newspaper under the heading of church directory will give testament to the differences of opinion on theological issues.

My point is what does this, running out of free grub at a venue that surpassed the anticipated numbers of attendees or even a business squabble have to do with the original poster's question?

We could have had an informative and perhaps even a lively debate about the merits of forage only operations, low inputs( not to be confused with no inputs), higher stocking rates, more cattle vs. more pounds, profits per acre vs. profits per head and even the development of fly and parasite resistant cattle.

Instead, we ended up with an ugly distasteful 7(seven) page thread of bashing and character assassination.

Not all are guilty, but many decided to jump into the feeding frenzy. That is where my post was directed.

Many people come here to ask questions and learn from those with experience and expertise. Much about land management and animal husbandry cannot be learned in acadamia. This thread does not show the best side of Rancher's.net. That is a shame and quite frankly I am surprised that it was allowed to continue as long as it has.

Perhaps we can strive for posting excellence in the future along with some common civility.

bverellen said:

Best Regards

This is what you wrote reducing rejection of Pharo and his philosophy to a rejection of Christ. You are the one that suggested that those that disagree with Pharo are the ones that are rejecting Christ. It is hard for me to square your earlier post with your last post suggesting that it is just a theological difference, as though it is not that big of a deal. I dare say that most that post on here consider themselves to be Christian, your post suggested that all of them that posted critically of Pharo are doing so because they reject Christ. That is what I am taking exception to. Rejection of Pharo, his business philosophy, or his theology has absolutely nothing to do with what we believe about Christ. In order for your original assertion to be true we would have to accept the premise that Pharo embodies the best, most pure manifestation of Christ, in our day. I completely reject that notion.

The business problems reflect negatively on Pharo. All of those things that you mentioned are legitimate factors that people take into consideration when they are considering doing business with someone. If they can't be trusted to keep their word then why would you trust them on anything? It isn't character assassination to point out, or reveal problems that people have had in their business dealings with the man. I guess we have different views on what is unacceptable discourse. I haven't seen anything here that is particularly troublesome. Pharo is an intentionally polarizing figure. If he hadn't chosen that path to financial success he would simply be another seedstock producer with fairly unremarkable cattle. His provocative and dismissive attitude has worked for him, no other seedstock producer generates this much attention on here.

Perhaps Rancherfred, you missed the word "SOME" in my post regarding those that reject Christ. I didn't paint everybody with a broad brush, so please don't do the same with me.

The originating question on this thread was about Pharo Bulls, not about whether or not to do business with any one particular person. There are plenty of cooperatively produced and privately held Pharo bulls to be purchased.

I don't find anything wrong with discourse, in fact I think it is healthy. Personal attacks and what has the appearances of schoolyard dogpiling one person is what I believe is wrong, and what I am addressing.

Edited to add: You bring up points about Jesus and His attributes, mentioning the faults you find in Kit Pharo and explaining away the actions of some on this board while informing me most here would consider themselves Christians.

If most do consider themselves Christians, then why didn't they act as Jesus showed us to act, stepping in to stop those making the accusations, however true or not, from throwing stones at the person they were accusing?

John 8:3 The whole sinners throwing stones at sinners bit. A good lesson for us all perhaps?

Good day.

Not having read all posts, probably shouldn't jump in here.....but here goes anyway. Doesn't it make sense to learn what experiences others have had with a person when trying to decide whether or not one wants to do business with that person? Is it wrong to honestly state what one has experienced with behaviors and statements of another person, so as to better understand that person before considering doing business? That simply does not rank with attacks, on either that person, or his interpretation of Christianity, imo.

mrj

bverellen said:
Perhaps Rancherfred, you missed the word "SOME" in my post regarding those that reject Christ. I didn't paint everybody with a broad brush, so please don't do the same with me.

The originating question on this thread was about Pharo Bulls, not about whether or not to do business with any one particular person. There are plenty of cooperatively produced and privately held Pharo bulls to be purchased.

I don't find anything wrong with discourse, in fact I think it is healthy. Personal attacks and what has the appearances of schoolyard dogpiling one person is what I believe is wrong, and what I am addressing.

Edited to add: You bring up points about Jesus and His attributes, mentioning the faults you find in Kit Pharo and explaining away the actions of some on this board while informing me most here would consider themselves Christians.

If most do consider themselves Christians, then why didn't they act as Jesus showed us to act, stepping in to stop those making the accusations, however true or not, from throwing stones at the person they were accusing?

John 8:3 The whole sinners throwing stones at sinners bit. A good lesson for us all perhaps?

Good day.

That nearly sounds like the reasoning of Oldtimer. He thought if someone didn't say something about a supposed offender, they were "back-slapping" and condoning the offender's actions. Not so. Many of us are too busy to respond to everything, unless it really rattles our cage.

Latest posts