• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Photos of Arizona Desert Ranch Cattle and Pasture

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I do agree with the real jake that those are very neat pictures.

I don't even have a problem with someone posting under that handle, as long as everyone realizes that it is not me, and they are tactful. I want my own reputation. Good or bad. :wink:

I figured you changed your name when you came back because of the mix-up with "Jake" and "the real Jake" which I thought was a good and thoughtful idea. I hope we don't have two "Jakes" to keep track of again.

I think the pictures are neat, but I wonder what the cows eat, too.
Those heifers are in good shape, no denying that.

Tap said:
How in the world can someone post under the handle "the real jake"?

I had Macon retire that months ago, and it only shows up as a guest.

Anyone posting under that handle is someone other than me.

Do you know what the story is with that Macon?

Look at the post date- It was 6 months ago :wink:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Damnit, OT. You mean this thread was brought back from way back then.

Shows my memory I guess.

Shame on you for laughing at me FH. :evil: :eek: :roll: :lol: :lol:

O.K. well I've been asleep at the wheel here but to answer these questions. In a normal year we do not supplemental feed at all our winter rains (if we get some) bring filliree and 6 week grass. The filliree is a really good feed but it does not stay around once the temperature gets to high. Our cattle browse most of the year on mesquite,palo verde, cactus and a handfull of other shrubs and trees. We have had a couple of inches of rain this month the first in 140+ days and the 6 week grass is starting to make. As far as exotics I could not say any cow would live here once they figure out what to eat. Everything we run except a few old red angus cows has hereford in it. Not counting the 30 angus bulls. Them old 800-1000 pound herefords will make a living where the antelope jacks have a hard time.We have one Limousin bull that i keep trying to get rid of but everytime I see him he is fat and has quite the following. Makes me wonder what them black bulls are up to half the time.

We took some Charolais bulls to a guy in Newcastle,Wyoming not as dry a country as yours but pretty tough still. He ran 2,000 white cows I said isn't this Angus country. He told me that those Char cows could travel farther to water-they'd used to run black cows but switched. I found that pretty interesting-also they rode Arab/TB horses because they were smoother on those 50 mile days-he had a nice remuda.

I like your pictures, real interesting country. Now some of you people on this board may better understand why there are some who are hesitant to accept a MID.

Good that you pointed out that a section is not always an exact 640 acres. The survey was intended to work with squares but our land is not all level so the survey won't always come out right. It always facinates me to think of how some of our land was first surveyed, and markers put in. I have read about Chauncy Wiltse who surveyed the South Dakota -Nebraska border. He mentioned black bear, said they ate sand cherries.

I really don't mind you laughing at my expense FH. It fooled you too. Or maybe I fooled you. :wink: :lol:

The "guest" over real jake threw me. And of course there were the dates.

And I was right out them being good pictures both times. :)

Latest posts