• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Phylosophical Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
One of NCBA's major concerns is that if we don't open the Canadian border to live cattle our packing industry is going to up and move to Canada and we'll loose control of the packing industry and have to compete with them. I have heard this line many times. I thought the idea behind NAFTA was that we were going to have free trade with all our trading partners. Then this would be good for the industries of all the free trading countries. The idea being that competition was a good thing for all concerned. This is kind of the way it worked in the auto industry. Now we are swamped with foreign cars and trucks etc. and all we can do is compete with them. So why in the great scheme of things isn't competition good in the meat business? What's wrong with competing with the Canadian packers? It is what NAFTA was supposed to be. In my opinion for US corporations to run all over the world buying up the cheaper production plants, sending cheaper product to the US, and pocketing the profits, is not what NAFTA was supposed to be. I thought NAFTA was supposed to help underdeveloped countries by enableing
them to compete in world markets. I don't think the idea of US corporations buying up all the low cost production units, shipping cheaper product to US and pocketing profits is what the objective was. So is competition with Canada a bad thing? It might be the first bit of competitiveness we've seen in our industry in a long time.

cedardell your Phylosophical Question,is right on target .It would be nice to see NAFTA work at least once ................good luck

It would be nice to see NAFTA work at least once ................good luck

i think it's working pretty good for large american corporations so what's your complaint??? Oh you want it to stop all imports while you have unlimited access to export markets. I forgot for a minute.

don said:

i think it's working pretty good for large american corporations so what's your complaint??? Oh you want it to stop all imports while you have unlimited access to export markets. I forgot for a minute.

I think it worked Damn good for the Canadian cattle man ,and still would be if you would have complied with the feed ban...............good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
Cedardell, I just saw a Ad on TV for Toyota and they have 4 plants building cars in the US. Did you only want the Big 3 to build in the US?

I hate to be the one that tells you this BMR, but I dont think your bull is a bull...............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Cedardell, I just saw a Ad on TV for Toyota and they have 4 plants building cars in the US. Did you only want the Big 3 to build in the US?

I hate to be the one that tells you this BMR, but I dont think your bull is a bull...............good luck

Oh well Haymaker I don't mind telling you that your Bull is always Bull. :cowboy: :lol:

HAY MAKER said:
don said:

I think it worked Damn good for the Canadian cattle man ,and still would be if you would have complied with the feed ban...............good luck

That dog won,t hunt Haymaker ..good luck you need it. :lol: :lol:

cedardell said:
The idea being that competition was a good thing for all concerned. This is kind of the way it worked in the auto industry. Now we are swamped with foreign cars and trucks etc. and all we can do is compete with them.

cedardell, if the US wasn't "swamped" with foreign cars and trucks, we would still be buying 79 Chevy, Ford, and Dodge pickups that get 9mph on the hiway and 4mph in the pasture, needed a valve job at 40K and needed new fenders, floorboards, & boxsides. You're right, we're darn lucky to have competition.

Now that I have heard all your replies, I would like to say this. Canada is doing very well under the present conditions. They have doubled exports to US even though they had to put it in boxes. The real reason packers want live cattle is so they can fill their feedlots with cheaper feeder cattle. I think the real question is if ranchers can survive competing with cheaper feeders coming in from around the world. Will our govt. protect us from a colapse in that market? Or will they rejoice. Also if we are in a down cycle in the cattle cycle where are the incentives to increase production if we are importing feeder needs from all over the world. It seems to me like there is no real cattle cycle under this system unless it's a cycle that emcompasses the whole world.

Latest posts