• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Picking bulls.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Here is a link to the story in the New York Times about it

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/29/business/29fda.html?ex=1325048400en=bc6acddae271bd15ei=5088partner=rssnytemc=rss

And here is an article today from Fox News about a cloned cow that was almost slaughtered. Mentions the U.S. food industry's voluntary ban on products from cloned livestock...

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Feb09/0,4670,ClonedCows,00.html

johnt07 said:
i am thinking of purchasing a hereford bull i live in south louisiana, do you thing this type of bull can handle our summers and still be productive.
Yes. There's plenty of Hereford breeders along the Gulf Coast that have bulls that will work for you. Don't overlook eye-set and pigment, though.

Welcome to Ranchers.

Mike said:
Jason said:
Throw in the choice grade premium and feed conversion numbers, Angus have some very solid numbers to back up the popularity.

If someone is having trouble meeting the choice grade why would they 'select' any other breed but Angus?

Because only 10-15% of angus calves meet their own brands' quality specifications.................

plus the fact that they had to throw the 3.9 or better yield grade specs out the window just to get enough product for the brand :lol: :lol:

Try that 17% of all black hided animals that are considered for CAB qualify. Lots of the black exotics look Angus but don't grade.

This is where we get into the black or Angus debate. I had a buyer for a packer say blacks don't marble based on 1 load of blacks he remembered that only had 5% that went AAA (Choice). I asked if they were black limo, black simm and he went ...umm umm I don't know. Pretty bad when a buyer that sees thousands of cattle doesn't know his breeds.

Source verified Angus calves qualify for CAB as high as 80%.

The Angus Journal publishes lists of cattle from licenced feedlots that make the 30-30 (at least 30 head with 30% CAB or prime) target with NO outliers.

Jason, Would you care to explain the phenomena that the mix of Angus cattle is at an all time high by a very large margin, yet quality grades and yield grades continue to decline?

I've read all the CAB propaganda that blames everything but genetics. Give me some real reasons...........................

HUNTIN' DAYLIGHT -- WEIGHT STILL WINS...FOR A WHILE

by: Wes Ishmael

It's true that an eight-weight USDA Choice Carcass would have been worth $109.12 more than a Select one the second week of January based on boxed beef cutout values and a USDA Choice-Select spread of $13.64 that week.
But it's just as true that a Select carcass weighing 900 lb. that week would have been worth $96.70 more than the Choice 800-pounder.

In other words, even as the Choice-Select spread has reached historic highs—it was $23/cwt. for a time in 2006—there often continues to be more economic incentive to increase carcass weight than carcass quality.

Viewed through these spectacles, it's not much wonder that quality grade has continued to decline in the industry, despite a cowherd mostly increasingly Angus-influenced.

In fact, according to the 2005 National Beef Quality Audit (NBQA) released last summer fewer cattle graded Choice or higher in 2004 (58.5 percent) than in 1975 (84 percent). In the eyes of purveyors, retailers, restaurateurs and packers insufficient marbling is the single greatest challenge for beef. Insufficient marbling was also cited as the biggest challenge when responses were aggregated from seedstock operators, cow-calf producers, stockers/backgrounders and feedlot operators. Quality Grade represents the single greatest lost opportunity in each periodic NBQA ($26.81 in 2005).

Even the vaunted Certified Angus Beef program (CAB), which ultimately created a new premium category for all beef (upper two-thirds of Choice and higher) is coming up short finding enough cattle to fill demand. According to CAB officials, a record number of cattle were identified for the program last year — 13.1 million head — yet a record low percentage — 14 percent -- were accepted for CAB certification. Despite that, increased product utilization meant that CAB still marketed more than 500 million lbs. of product.

This at a time when, arguably, there are more Angus-influenced cattle running around the country that at any time in history. Though the American Angus Association actually registered more cattle in the late 1960s, the 347,572 head registered last year dwarfs every other breed association.

Combine it with cattle registered through the American Red Angus Association (43,201) as reported by the National Pedigreed Livestock Council and 80 percent of all registrations from the major English breeds are from these two breeds; 48 percent of all cattle registered with the primary English, Continental and American breeds.

Moreover, as reported in last month's Western Cowman (Black Tide-Part 1) various industry surveys indicate Angus and Angus crossbred cattle comprise at least two-thirds of the commercial cowherd.

One example is a survey commissioned by Certified Angus Beef, LLC a couple of years ago. In that survey 65 percent of respondents—commercial producers with at least 100 cows—said there herd was Angus-based. Another five percent named Red Angus as the primary component.

In another survey conducted by the American Angus Association a couple of years earlier, 33 percent of producers surveyed said their cowherd was primarily composed of Angus. Another 30 percent said it was Angus crossbred and 22 percent answered crossbred. Of the 22 percent who answered crossbred, 78 percent indicated Angus was represented in those genetics. According to AAA, "When analyzing all responses, 68% of total producers surveyed indicated Angus was a major influence on the genetics of their cowherd. All other breeds were mentioned specifically by less than 10 percent of producers surveyed."

Given the inherent genetic advantage of Angus and Red Angus in marbling, and the sheer numbers of them in the industry, plenty of folks have been wondering how in the world USDA quality grades could be running backwards.

I use solid red, polled but horn is okay to, medium frame shorthorn bulls. I have black calves out of my angus cows and yellow or oarnge calves out of my char. cows. They outgrow my neighbors calves but thats also not a good comparisson. Anyway my char shorty crosses sold top of the market and were .10 cents higher than same weight black angus calves. The reason was as a buyer told me the frame. My shortys throw some mean butt on their calves! LOL

Keep up the good work Mike. :clap:

Being profitable comes down to the most lbs.of tender good flavored beef for the least amount of feed and the least care!Nothing can beat the good old HEREFORD"The Cow That Won The West" -------when it comes right to it! :D :D :D :D :D

Juan said:
Keep up the good work Mike. :clap:

Being profitable comes down to the most lbs.of tender good flavored beef for the least amount of feed and the least care!Nothing can beat the good old HEREFORD"The Cow That Won The West" -------when it comes right to it! :D :D :D :D :D

Didn't Jimmy Stewart make a movie about a High Priced "Hereford" bull coming to the west? Remember the name of the movie?

IL Rancher said:
Was it the Rare Breed? Vindicator was the name of the bull..

That's it. You're as sharp as a tack today IL Rancher. :lol:

Remember watching that movie when I was a kid.....3-4 years ago. :wink:

I'm guessing that the bull they used would have been during the belt buckle days because, remembering from the movie at least, it was a tiny little horned hereford, not more than waste high.. I saw it a couple years ago and have seen it a couple of times.. I know it is not suppossed to be a comedy but something about it cracks me up :lol: :lol:

IL Rancher said:
Was it the Rare Breed? Vindicator was the name of the bull..
The only vindicator I know came from Penn. Faulkland farms or something like that. He was sired by U81 I think. Victor bred bull . According to the report I got they were little milk cows but would prolapse. All that would have been after the movie though. I know a man that owned him.

Just looked it up on line. The bulls name in the movie was Vindicator... have no idea what the "actor" bull was named but this is what they named in the movie..

Vindicator:

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=232B21&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5B5B5C225821272E2D

Hmmm Greystone bred him it seems . I wonder where my buddie got the other name. I'm sure that's what he told me. Any of you herf breeders know greystone? Where are they from?

Latest posts