• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Picking cotton here boss lots of pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H said:
You really need help. And so do i now that my monitor has snot and water blasted all over it!!!!!! I almost lost it laughing at you! Pop-Tarts! Don't you need to herd some cows or chop a little wood or poach a uni-corn? :D :D
Thanks for make'n my day!

Glad I could help out. Have a good one.

Dave

gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:
gcreekrch said:
I wonder where the hunters ride on those machines. :???: :lol: :roll:

They wear "snow-flauge" and just pop up out of the cotton and start shootin! Use your imagination smart-alec! You Canadians can't shoot good unless somebody holds a spot light! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If those were female hunters would we be so bold as to call them "pop-tarts"? :D
:roll: :lol2: :lol2:

been there done that 2 seasons. 4500 acres each time. i run one of them muleboy boll buggies. what a hoot. a bunch of 20 hour days. one year made nearly 3 bale cotton and next barley made a bale. built 24 modules one day. 3 builders ,2 jd 9986 pickers,and 2 boll buggies. needless to say nobody ever had to be rocked to sleep. we were in madison county alabama. did pick one time 28 hours straight. and we worked a 21 day stint one time. a few tempers got short but we made it.

kevin said:
been there done that 2 seasons. 4500 acres each time. i run one of them muleboy boll buggies. what a hoot. a bunch of 20 hour days. one year made nearly 3 bale cotton and next barley made a bale. built 24 modules one day. 3 builders ,2 jd 9986 pickers,and 2 boll buggies. needless to say nobody ever had to be rocked to sleep. we were in madison county alabama. did pick one time 28 hours straight. and we worked a 21 day stint one time. a few tempers got short but we made it.

Wow, 24 Modules in one day is a huge day. We start picking around 10:00 AM after the dew dries off and pick untill an hour or so after dark when the dew sets in. We are only getting 7 Modules a day with two four row and one two row pickers but it seems like at least one is broken down most of the time. But then we only have two modules builders. And they tell me we are making about 2 bales to the acre. However when it does not rain it makes for very ong days from well before daylight to well after dark. If we ain't picking we are working on equipment.

yeah i understand what you are saying about broke down and doing repair work. these were some friends of mine who needed help and i needed a part time job. so 2 years of running a boll buggy done what we both needed. we were running 2- 6 row pickers. it was a slick and sticky situation sometimes. had to build a push bar on one of the 7140 caseih tractors to push the module trucks under the modules then a big cable to pull them out of the field with. got fun sometimes. what county are you in in alabama?

Thanks for the pictures, Alabama. It's always interesting to see the various methods of farming in other parts of the country.

IIRC, the John Deere plant here in Ankeny makes those cotton pickers.

Hanta Yo said:
Hey, now that was very interesting! Thanks for sharing the pics, the "cotton pickers" sure look like they do a good job :D

I can tell you from experience they just can't match "human cotton pickers" . A patch picked by people would be solid brown almost. A friend of mine just recently competed in a cotton pickin contest. He regularly picked 400 lbs a day. I haven't heard how the contesst came out.

Latest posts