• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pics of horses and saddle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
2108.jpg

Say this in your best Lokota accent, Soapweed. "This is my war pony, Victor". :lol:
Bet I can sell this one to Soapweed when he grows up and has a nice handle on him. He's just two and has about 10 days and is real nice. He's got two glass eyes and I kind'a wonder about that.

2109.jpg

This is a picture of Kid and his son, Beaver. Beaver has the white on his face on Kid's right hand side. Kid is 10 and Beaver is 4 and a dirty good SOB! I just love riding him. He can spin and is really starting to watch a cow. Probably 90 days on him. Started roping a few yearlings on him this summer.

Kid is the most bomb proof horse I"ve ever ridden. Yes Faster Horse, this is the dun you were supposed to look at.

2112.jpg

My million and a half dollar horse, Woody. Best horse I've ever ridden! It would take a million and a half to buy him. Cowy and snorty and most people wouldn't lke him, but there ain't a cow we can't get or hold. He's 13 and sound as a dollar. I call him Woody cuz he's a Bartender! :lol:

2110.jpg

This is a yearling Belgiun draft colt I got last year down by Soapweed and Saddle Tramps. I'm going after his full sister in a week or so. I'll start this one this winter with my old draft mare. Couple of years I'm going to have another good young team to feed and fence with. Full brother and sister so they ought to match up well. his dad is the prettiest blue roan, you've ever seen. Should mature around 16 hands and weigh around 1700. Just a nice size.

2103.jpg

This is a picture of MY saddle. It's a Wade with a cable rigging. Thats why there is a slot in the seat piece. The leather of the seat goes over the cable and under the stirrup leather so as to make the stirrups swing smooth. I sure like it. I need to get more mule hide wrapped on the horn so as to get a better bite when I dally.

Hope you all enjoyed these! :)

Jinglebob, (gosh, I typed Jingleboob, by accident~but I fixed it, I fixed it! ):lol: :oops:

Anyway, here are my comments. Wonderful pictures.

The saddle: I really like the dish in the seat. I bet it is really comfortable. And the workmanship looks really good. I have heard of the cable riggin's, but have never seen one.

The blue-eyed horse: looks like he has a 'coon tail' so that will make up for the blue eyes.

Kid-yep. We shouldda looked. Now he is too expensive!!!!

Your Woody horse, good-lookin' skunk. We too, have a Bartender horse. Ours is 26 and retired. He never was the most gentle horse, but he was one of the best. His name? Flinch. 16-1 and weighed 1435# every day he walked. I would like to put a picture of him on here, but I need a scanner to do it. Maybe I can figure it out. Anyway, they are similarly bred and sounds like they have the same attitude. The best horses aren't always the most gentle. Don't you agree?

I guess I have never seen a draft horse yearling before. He is cute. Good luck with your team idea.

And again, I really think you did a good job on that saddle!

i like the ponies, i really like the saddle. question for ya tho: your yearling draft cross--how big is he really? he looks small in the picture, and doesn't look like any belgian i've ever seen as far as his color.... :???: every belgian i've ever seen has been light sorrel (?--i can't think of the right color name :oops: ), and i grew up in amish country watching them work ground in the spring with 8 and 10 horse hitches (now that's a sight you don't see around here).

anyway, enough nostalgia. but i do miss going to horse pulls.....a tractor pull just isn't the same somehow :(

Chuckie said:
i like the ponies, i really like the saddle. question for ya tho: your yearling draft cross--how big is he really? he looks small in the picture, and doesn't look like any belgian i've ever seen as far as his color.... :???: every belgian i've ever seen has been light sorrel (?--i can't think of the right color name :oops: ), and i grew up in amish country watching them work ground in the spring with 8 and 10 horse hitches (now that's a sight you don't see around here).

anyway, enough nostalgia. but i do miss going to horse pulls.....a tractor pull just isn't the same somehow :(

He isn't a cross, he's pure Belgiun. His dad is Blue and his mother is chesnut. Both have papers.
He's about 15 hands now.

The brown pony is half shetland, 1/4 quarter horse and a quarter Belgiun. His name is Squirt. The little dun is an indian pony. His name is Buck. They raised my boys. Both a little over 20 years old and still goin' strong. Squirt is going to go visit a young couple who have a small son. Squirt made the rounds of the neighborhood, helping to get youngsters going, riding, over the years. Neither are for sale!

Faster Horses, I fed with a team for quite a few years. I miss ther practicality and the fun. Don't need no fuel truck, to run them.

The saddle has quite a little dish, but not too much. It is comfortable. And practical. Seems whether it's horses saddles or cattle, I like practical. :lol: :wink:

by "ponies" i meant all of 'em, but your REAL ponies don't look 20 yrs old. must be excellent care!
that brings me back to horse pulls. where i grew up, they had big horses, and they had pony pulls-draft crosses under (i think, 14 or 15 hands). but, pound for pound, the ponies would always outpull the big horses. boy, those were fun to go to.....

and on your saddle: the stirrup set-up just makes sense when a person thinks about it-why don't we see that more? and, i'd never ridden a high-cantled saddle til i moved out here, but i really like them. they give you a sense of support and a brace for quick turns.

anyway, love the pics!!

Good pictures Cowboy. If any body cares to ask me I can tell them that I do like to ride your horses. I agree that some of the best ponys I have ridden usually weren't for the young.

Had a bald faced sorral once that was bad snakey but a real good mount. My boys always thought they'ed be full growed if they could ride "ol' Morg." My oldest son said" Dad, would never let us ride him... He wouldn't even let us in the barn with him."

Chuckie said:
by "ponies" i meant all of 'em, but your REAL ponies don't look 20 yrs old. must be excellent care!
that brings me back to horse pulls. where i grew up, they had big horses, and they had pony pulls-draft crosses under (i think, 14 or 15 hands). but, pound for pound, the ponies would always outpull the big horses. boy, those were fun to go to.....

and on your saddle: the stirrup set-up just makes sense when a person thinks about it-why don't we see that more? and, i'd never ridden a high-cantled saddle til i moved out here, but i really like them. they give you a sense of support and a brace for quick turns.

anyway, love the pics!!

The slots were used years ago by some different saddle makers. I don't know why they quit other than that they maybe went to a full rigging and then the latigo is more in front of the knee, so therefore it wouldn't be needed as much.

The cable rigging is another example of re-inventing the wheel. This was done very similar to this years ago. Maybe with the better types of material for the cable now, is why it is gaining in popularity. I sure like mine. Makes a good "pull" to set the saddle where it best fits a horse and is guarenteed for life, with this type of saddle tree.

"Bad snakey" is spooky and maybe apt to kick or buck. But these kinds of horse, if you are able to ride them, will go all day and then some.

I've got a neighbor whose grandfather was from Texas. He liked thourobred horses. He said that he always wanted a horse that he could ride farther in a day than the horse could be shipped back at night, on a train! Now thats a horse! But I doubt many would want to ride one like that now. Horses and people are softer and most horses never really get "hard" or even get many hard rides. Except in "cowboy" country! :lol: [/i]

The ranch Manager for Morrison Cattle Co. when I worked for them always said " We ride tough horses and the men should be able to take what ever the horses can stand."

I have a pretty good idea what them horses were probably like, so that is just scarey! :shock: :eek: :lol:

Doubt I would have lasted there very long! :lol: :lol:

zephyrus31 said:
It's so rustic and yup, that classic cowboy look never ceases to amaze!! :D I like the 'glass eyed horse' Jinglebob

Me too! He's a little snorty and spooky. What the new breed of trainers call "sensitive". Just my kind. It don't take much to get one to trurn around! :lol:

Bad snakey isn't any tougher it's just you don't care if you kill him.I might stop over for alook at that glass eye.Kind of reminds me of Spot.

smalltime said:
Bad snakey isn't any tougher it's just you don't care if you kill him.I might stop over for alook at that glass eye.Kind of reminds me of Spot.

Come on over and we'll drink some tea or something stronger, perhaps! :lol:

But the glass eyed horse is going back to the trainer for a few days. He's only two. He'll be down south of you for a while, smalltime.

Faster horses said:
Jinglebob, (gosh, I typed Jingleboob, by accident~but I fixed it, I fixed it! ):lol: :oops:

Anyway, here are my comments. Wonderful pictures.

The saddle: I really like the dish in the seat. I bet it is really comfortable. And the workmanship looks really good. I have heard of the cable riggin's, but have never seen one.

The blue-eyed horse: looks like he has a 'coon tail' so that will make up for the blue eyes.

Kid-yep. We shouldda looked. Now he is too expensive!!!!

Your Woody horse, good-lookin' skunk. We too, have a Bartender horse. Ours is 26 and retired. He never was the most gentle horse, but he was one of the best. His name? Flinch. 16-1 and weighed 1435# every day he walked. I would like to put a picture of him on here, but I need a scanner to do it. Maybe I can figure it out. Anyway, they are similarly bred and sounds like they have the same attitude. The best horses aren't always the most gentle. Don't you agree?

I guess I have never seen a draft horse yearling before. He is cute. Good luck with your team idea.

And again, I really think you did a good job on that saddle!

Jinglebob let us ride Kid bareback when we visited him after Deadwood.
Kid is not only gentle, he is so polite he doesn't even step on you when you fall off :D

Maybe i should ruin him myself jinglebob.I sent over some leftover chew from the store we had in the freezer to sofen you up abit.

Latest posts