• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
This band of mustangs are a lot more spooky than the Onaqui band. If we can get within a half mile of them we feel lucky.

15thJune2011BrownSpring027.jpg

15thJune2011BrownSpring033.jpg

15thJune2011BrownSpring013.jpg

Even though some get a free ride, they still crap on their benefactor.

August162011GovCreek_DavisMtn013.jpg

August162011GovCreek_DavisMtn018.jpg

GovernmentCr3rdJune09_Earl161copy.jpg

Not too worried about our presence. (I do notice other things other than mustangs)
GovCr8thJuly2009158.jpg

GovCreek12thJuly2011047.jpg

GovernmentCr3rdJune09_Earl096copy.jpg

A difference of opinion.
GovernmentCr3rdJune09_Earl049copy.jpg

Five point penalty. My double bred Hancock, I gave up a few years ago.
FortRanchMay2001HeelingCalves.jpg

Nice photo's, and I agree the grey horses would make a great picture to print out. I'm guessing you have a great zoom on your camera to get those great shots..thanks for posting.

Great pictures, and great subjects. The background sure puts iceing on the cake Even though the subject in the sage brush picture is small, I like it.

That bunch of horses are nervous for a good reason! :wink: And it has absolutely nothing to do with a fast horse and a long rope. :D If ya keep working around the mountain looking for more brambie bands, sooner or later we will meet. :D Great pictures of the desert.

Jinglebob said:
Very good pictures. If you can't get any closer than a half a mile, how did you get such good close up's?

I didn't make it very clear. The first three pictures are of the Cedar Mtn. Band. They are much more spooky than the Oniqui band. If I get down on my knees, some of those Oniqui yearlings will come as close as six or eight feet. That's too close to be on your knees in front of a wild animal.

The story goes, that a lady from Dugway use to feed the Oniqui band in the winter, therefore, they became more tame. We can walk through the herd if we don't make any sudden moves. However, the Cedar Mtn. band will head out of the country if they smell you or see you coming from a distance.

Jassy said:
Nice photo's, and I agree the grey horses would make a great picture to print out. I'm guessing you have a great zoom on your camera to get those great shots..thanks for posting.

I have a 18x200 Nikkor zoom. I wish I could justify a 500mm. But then I would have to carry it around. For the action shots those big lenses are just too hard to work with,,, in my humble opinion. lol

Hereford76 said:
wow - those are nice. would you care if i saved a few of those?

Anyone is welcome to any of my pictures,,,, If they send me half the money they make off selling them!!!!! lol

Big Muddy rancher said:
Nice pictures :D

That looks to be quite the corral set up your heeling calves in. :D

That fun day was at The Fort Ranch. It is located at Promontory UT. on the north end of the Great Salt Lake,,just south of the Golden Spike Monument where the two railroads meet. The ranch is owned by a "well to do" guy from Idaho Falls, Idaho,, whom I can't remember his name.

(Just because heeling calves was the most fun I ever had,,, doesn't mean I was good at it.")

leanin' H said:
That bunch of horses are nervous for a good reason! :wink: And it has absolutely nothing to do with a fast horse and a long rope. :D If ya keep working around the mountain looking for more brambie bands, sooner or later we will meet. :D Great pictures of the desert.

I gotta fast horse and long rope, I'll just come pick up those chillies, and bring my horse, maybe come home with an extra. :wink:

LazyWP said:
leanin' H said:

I gotta fast horse and long rope, I'll just come pick up those chillies, and bring my horse, maybe come home with an extra. :wink:

That's frowned upon! :shock: Not coming to get the chillies or bringing a horse, just the last part. :wink: I thought i was delivering the chillies in exchange for some new chinks and a .50 tour of the LazyWP estate? :D

leanin' H said:
LazyWP said:
leanin' H said:

That's frowned upon! :shock: Not coming to get the chillies or bringing a horse, just the last part. :wink: I thought i was delivering the chillies in exchange for some new chinks and a .50 tour of the LazyWP estate? :D

That works too, and probably cheaper then dealing with the BLM!!

VB RANCH said:
Nice pictures, how did those horses get there, does anybody do any thing with them. Did them spanards leave them there

My first experience with mustangs was in 2004. I have lived within 100 miles of them for most of my life and didn't know the existed. A friend of mine, Ray Park from Rush Valley said he had been chasing them sense 1955. Ray "rode off into the sunset" a couple of years ago. We spent two years "riding among em" ,,, Ray said when he first started chasing them, that there were less than twenty head, and they were all bays and blacks. The books I read say there is some Spanish Barb blood mixed in with mostly domestic breeding. I've read that after the first world war, when the market for horses dried up, that a lot of horses were turned loose to run wild.

Mustangs are considered wards of the Government and managed or mismanaged,,, depending on your version of the facts, by the Bureau of Land Management. The BLM brought in some paints later on, and I'm sure glad they did. Paints sure do liven up the pictures.

When the BLM rounded-up about four years ago, they claimed they gathered 600 head, of which they took back out, about 250 head. We counted 140 head in one bunch in the spring of 2004. Sense then, the most in one band was about 100 head. They break up into smaller bands by mid summer.

Latest posts