• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond said:
loomixguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies.

That is correct. Most flies out in pastures will never travel over 1/8 to 1/4 mile in their lives.

Simply put, even if the neighbor didn't use it (fly control)...I WOULD.

Salesman pitch or being honest? Only reason I ask is my mineral reps said it could very well be a waste of money...

I would bet that the expense of the fly control would be less than the extra dollars the calves will bring with the added weight gain. You suit yourself, but if I had cattle, they would have fly control of some sort available to them. Honest Injun.

I always kinda figured cows came equiped from the factory with fly control. It's called hair, ears and a tail. :? Throw in some cover in the form of juniper trees or scrub oak and cows are content.

leanin' H said:
I always kinda figured cows came equiped from the factory with fly control. It's called hair, ears and a tail. :? Throw in some cover in the form of juniper trees or scrub oak and cows are content.

That depends on where you are...I know of areas where there aren't
many flies and I know areas where the flies are terrible. If you don't
have many flies, good for you and your cattle! :D

When cows are bunched, they aren't content...

4Diamond said:
loomixguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies.

That is correct. Most flies out in pastures will never travel over 1/8 to 1/4 mile in their lives.

Salesman pitch or being honest? Only reason I ask is my mineral reps said it could very well be a waste of money...

4Diamond, I will tell you this little story. My area sales manager has
a little place where he runs a few roping steers. There are cattle around
him and he feeds the IGR. He said when the neighboring cattle come
in close, he does notice a fly load on his roping steers. But in two weeks
they are gone again. It takes two weeks to complete the life cycle of
the fly.

loomixguy, I hear you about the new products. We have ICE to keep
cattle temperatures down, we have Cinnagar which has cinnamon
and garlic, which I'm told keeps flys down; we have Digest-A-Max
4, which helps feeder cattle get on feed faster and with less illness.
Yep, there is a lot of new things out there. Are they feasible? I guess
I'm not sure except for the Digest-A-Max 4 and that works really well.
The Cinnagar stinks to high heaven. I can't imagine anything eating
it, but they do. We just personally have not used Cinnagar or ICE,
so I can't give anyone a personal testimonial.

Faster horses said:
4Diamond said:
loomixguy said:

4Diamond, I will tell you this little story. My area sales manager has
a little place where he runs a few roping steers. There are cattle around
him and he feeds the IGR. He said when the neighboring cattle come
in close, he does notice a fly load on his roping steers. But in two weeks
they are gone again. It takes two weeks to complete the life cycle of
the fly.

loomixguy, I hear you about the new products. We have ICE to keep
cattle temperatures down, we have Cinnagar which has cinnamon
and garlic, which I'm told keeps flys down; we have Digest-A-Max
4, which helps feeder cattle get on feed faster and with less illness.
Yep, there is a lot of new things out there. Are they feasible? I guess
I'm not sure except for the Digest-A-Max 4 and that works really well.
The Cinnagar stinks to high heaven. I can't imagine anything eating
it, but they do. We just personally have not used Cinnagar or ICE,
so I can't give anyone a personal testimonial.

Has Jack tried that Cinnagar on his steak yet? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Faster horses said:
leanin' H said:

Who asked them? :lol: Not to argue for fun, but cows gott'a lay around sometime to chew thier cud. Out here, it's usually after they fill up, hit water and then lay around in a bunch reguritating breakfast. I follow the same schedule! :shock: :lol: I know your talking about cows bunched up to escape flys, but i had to razz ya a tad. :wink:

leanin' H said:
Faster horses said:
leanin' H said:

Who asked them? :lol: Not to argue for fun, but cows gott'a lay around sometime to chew thier cud. Out here, it's usually after they fill up, hit water and then lay around in a bunch reguritating breakfast. I follow the same schedule! :shock: :lol: I know your talking about cows bunched up to escape flys, but i had to razz ya a tad. :wink:

You are right, and that's not the kind of bunching I mean. I mean where
they all crowd into a fence corner, etc. are standing up fighting flies.
What you describe is the normal grazing pattern of cattle. If, on a nice
day, cattle aren't laying down from say, 11 am to 2 pm or so, they
aren't happy...

How'd I do? :D

Great pictures, R A. My favorites are the top one, with the Ranchers.net logo, and the one with the Hereford bull next to the tree. It is nifty the way you set up the horse and cattle pictures, and even managed to include a goat. :wink: :)

The photo of the Hereford bull turned out great, with the reddish tint on the tree and red steel posts. Good job.

I tend to agree with Leanin' H when it comes to fly control. Cattle come equipped with tossing heads and switching tails for a reason. :wink: Besides, since DDT was outlawed years ago, nothing seems to work any way. We have not used any form of fly control for at least the past fifteen years, and have seen no adverse affects because of it.

R A, you have a wonderful way with your photography. Keep those fine pictures coming.

Soapweed said:
Great pictures, R A. My favorites are the top one, with the Ranchers.net logo, and the one with the Hereford bull next to the tree. It is nifty the way you set up the horse and cattle pictures, and even managed to include a goat. :wink: :)

The photo of the Hereford bull turned out great, with the reddish tint on the tree and red steel posts. Good job.

I tend to agree with Leanin' H when it comes to fly control. Cattle come equipped with tossing heads and switching tails for a reason. :wink: Besides, since DDT was outlawed years ago, nothing seems to work any way. We have not used any form of fly control for at least the past fifteen years, and have seen no adverse affects because of it.

R A, you have a wonderful way with your photography. Keep those fine pictures coming.

Soap, I generally agree with you on most everything. BUT...I've seen
pictures you post and your cows are bunched up badly in the summer
fighting flies. They are costing you money when they do that.
Honestly, if you did something to help the fly load, it would make
a difference in the weight of the calves. FWIW... :D
And there are products that WORK, Cylence being one...and it's relatively
cheap and easy to use. Not that I'm trying to convince you of anything...
:D :D :D :D :p :wink:

Faster horses said:
Soapweed said:

Soap, I generally agree with you on most everything. BUT...I've seen
pictures you post and your cows are bunched up badly in the summer
fighting flies. They are costing you money when they do that.
Honestly, if you did something to help the fly load, it would make
a difference in the weight of the calves. FWIW... :D
And there are products that WORK, Cylence being one...and it's relatively
cheap and easy to use. Not that I'm trying to convince you of anything...
:D :D :D :D :p :wink:

This kind of reminds me of all the new modern conveniences that came out when electricity became available. Each new electric appliance would save a given amount of time per day for the average housewife. It turned out that more "time" was saved then there was real time in each day. :wink: How in the world did housewives manage to get everything done and put food on the table when there was no electricity?

I've seen ranchers go broke when they gave too much "stuff" in the production of cattle. If I really wanted more weight on my calves, I'd calve in January instead of March. :)

Besides, it seems like the beauty of all the nice pictures R A put up got overlooked because of a handful of flies. :wink:

Soapweed said:

Thanks, Soapweed! I appreciate you looking at them and for the input! I love the way you shoot your pictures and document the happenings on your ranch....I suppose I am trying to copy that as well as taking branding ideas :D ....and how you load cattle out of a pasture :D ....and run things in general :D, etc, etc.... I dream of a team like you just got! Thanks!

Faster horses said:
Then maybe I need to apologize. His pictures were terrific. I just
asked a question and I guess that hijacked the thread.

So, R A, I sincerly apologize. Your pictures are worth looking
at many times over. Thanks for posting them.

No worries, Fh! :D I posted some pictures and a nice little discussion happened....I learned, maybe some one else did....it's all good.

Sorry to Hi jack this thread...

Our cattle bunch up in the summer period whether they have flies or not. We have fescue which is hot and the temps and humidity make in unbearable at times. They head for the shade and ponds @ 9:00 am and stay there most of the day. Thanks for the IGR info, I will consider it for next year as I think it's too late this year.

Latest posts