• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Please Clarify something for me

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
R-CALF-USA had asked Cebull to block USDA's plans to implement its final rule opening the border to feeder and fed cattle. R-CALF disputes USDA's claims that the threat of introduction of BSE to U.S. cattle and beef supplies from the Canadian cattle exports should be considered "minimal risk."

I have asked this before and I will ask it again

Can any of you R-CALF supporters tell me how importing Canadian UTM cattle will put you US cattle in any kind of risk? They are free of BSE according to the science, you are trying to sell Japan.

And if the rules about SRM removal and feed ban rules are followed in the US how can our OTM cattle put your herd at risk? it is not contagious the only known way it spreads is by one animal eating the tissue of an infected animal. Isn't that why you have a FEED BAN in the US?

If you are taking the meat and not taking the cattle doesn't that make it look like you don't trust the place that slaughters it? Our meat is comingleing in the store selves as their are millions of canadian cattle still living in the US herd and the US can't find them not to mention the of lbs of boneless entering the US everyday in boxes.

Sorry R-CALF and Judge Cebull did you forget about the elusive canadian cattle that comingle with the US herd and have for years? What added risk are they if your feed bans have holes that would allow any imported cattle to add risk. Or are their different rules for cattle living in the US already to those imported, when it comes to feed bans and SRM removal?

So we have to wait until you get your s*** together on plate waste chicken litter and pet food . These are not our problem they are yours.

You seem to like using the OIE rules against Canada well did you forget that one of the things that the OIE code says is

The code also draws attention to the obligations under the provisions of the WTO-SPS, whereby the importing country cannot be more trade restrictive than necessary to achieve the desired national level of protection, and the its measures must not be different from those applied to products within the domestic market"

Again the plate waste, chicken litter and pet food are not our problem they are YOURS

say Miss Tam you been a lil terror today,you better quit while your a head before hubby catches your big but playing on the computer all day instead of cleaning house ,LOL................good luck

good one hay maker. you never duck a question or avoid the big issues. if you find an answer you can copy and paste i'm sure you'll serve it up to us.

Tam said:
R-CALF-USA had asked Cebull to block USDA's plans to implement its final rule opening the border to feeder and fed cattle. R-CALF disputes USDA's claims that the threat of introduction of BSE to U.S. cattle and beef supplies from the Canadian cattle exports should be considered "minimal risk."

I have asked this before and I will ask it again

Can any of you R-CALF supporters tell me how importing Canadian UTM cattle will put you US cattle in any kind of risk? They are free of BSE according to the science, you are trying to sell Japan.

Response; Tam, how could you of missed R-CALF questioning USDA's science? The "science" being pushed on Japan is the USDA's, not R-CALF's.

And if the rules about SRM removal and feed ban rules are followed in the US how can our OTM cattle put your herd at risk? it is not contagious the only known way it spreads is by one animal eating the tissue of an infected animal. Isn't that why you have a FEED BAN in the US?

Response; A feed ban is part of OIE recommendations. They recommend it because eating infected feed is the majority view on BSE transmission, but NOTHING has been proven. The USDA implemented the feed ban, not R-CALF.

If you are taking the meat and not taking the cattle doesn't that make it look like you don't trust the place that slaughters it? Our meat is comingleing in the store selves as their are millions of canadian cattle still living in the US herd and the US can't find them not to mention the of lbs of boneless entering the US everyday in boxes.

Response; R-CALF doesn't think the US should be taking boxed beef or live cattle. Once again, you're barking at R-CALF when it is the USDA's policy.

Sorry R-CALF and Judge Cebull did you forget about the elusive canadian cattle that comingle with the US herd and have for years? What added risk are they if your feed bans have holes that would allow any imported cattle to add risk. Or are their different rules for cattle living in the US already to those imported, when it comes to feed bans and SRM removal?

Response; R-CALF hasn't forgotten about all the Canadian cattle that are down here. In fact they addressed that by called for tracking down all Canadian cattle in the US. Tam, I really think that each one of your complaints here is a complaint against the USDA, not R-CALF.

don said:
good one hay maker. you never duck a question or avoid the big issues. if you find an answer you can copy and paste i'm sure you'll serve it up to us.

The big issuses as you call them have lots of shades of grey built in them,and we could go back and forth for ever and not accomplish a Damn thing DON ,dont be so bitter border will open soon enough I dont know why you are whinning any way you have the government subsidizing you truth be known you are making more off subsidies than you ever made off cattle.......good luck

keep up the good sleuthing there hay maker. above all keep supporting r-calf's trips to judge cebull so that you can discredit the american beef industry. you'll have canada begging for mcool in the states. thanks for the good wishes.

don said:
keep up the good sleuthing there hay maker. above all keep supporting r-calf's trips to judge cebull so that you can discredit the american beef industry. you'll have canada begging for mcool in the states. thanks for the good wishes.

whats your problem with M COOL?I think the consumer has a right to know where their food originates,and I personally believe it will be good for the canadian cattle man as it will for the USA cattle man...........good luck PS dont be so bitter,border will open soon and you will be glad we have M COOL ,because our real threat is south.

HAYMAKER said:
I think the consumer has a right to know where their food originates,and I personally believe it will be good for the canadian cattle man as it will for the USA cattle man......

I think the consumer has a right to know where their food originates even if it forced upon them kicking & screaming. Thats purdy much what you are saying, HAYMAKER. To hell with what the consumer asks for, let's force COOL on 'em.

Perhaps someone can clarify this further but I was under the impression that all our boxed beef that goes south is moved as no-roll or ungraded product. The boxes obviously carry the Canadian label...but any sales or representation as US product happen on YOUR side of the line!

cowsense said:
Perhaps someone can clarify this further but I was under the impression that all our boxed beef that goes south is moved as no-roll or ungraded product. The boxes obviously carry the Canadian label...but any sales or representation as US product happen on YOUR side of the line!

You're right, Cowsense. The labels are on the box when they cross the border. For some reason, we take them off.

Sandhusker said:
cowsense said:

You're right, Cowsense. The labels are on the box when they cross the border. For some reason, we take them off.

Because they mean nothing to the consumers. Consumers want a quality prioduct for a certain price. At our little cowtown steakhouse, they won't take Canadian boxes because of the outcry of the local whiners(5 years ago I was a whiner also) even though it is a quality product. In the larger metro areas, origin means nothing, the reason MCOOL is worthless.

Bull Burger said:
Sandhusker said:
R-CALF hasn't forgotten about all the Canadian cattle that are down here. In fact they addressed that by called for tracking down all Canadian cattle in the US.

Hmmmmmmm, can you show us proof they called for that?

Yep. Here's part of a R-CALF release from July. And SH says I never back anything with facts..... :wink:

R-CALF USA called on USDA to: 1) immediately begin to identify and test all Canadian cattle currently in the United States; 2) avoid causing shocks to the U.S. cattle markets by discontinuing the release of "inconclusive" BSE test results unless additional information is provided regarding the animals tested; 3) allow packers to voluntarily test 100 percent of the animals they process; and, 4) allow open dialogue on BSE testing from the public, animal health experts and human health experts.

R-CALF disputes USDA's claims that the threat of introduction of BSE to U.S. cattle and beef supplies from the Canadian cattle exports should be considered "minimal risk." [/quote]

So is R-CALF also disputing the USDA claims that the US beef is safe? the US uses the same science and rules to protect you as Canada has used to protect Canada. Do you believe those measures have protected you or do believe they failed you too. Do you have BSE in the US, Sandhusker?

I really think that each one of your complaints here is a complaint against the USDA, not R-CALF.

Is the USDA going around telling consumers not to eat Canadian beef because it is not safe and they could contract a fatal disease if they eat it? No they are saying that our beef is safe and their is no food safety issue in importing Canadian beef. It is R-CALF that is in court telling the US consumers that the science the rest of the world believes is a lie. That is my complaint.

Sorry, can't take this anymore. I spent 6 months of hell in a jerky plant. We got beef from US, Mexico, and Australia. There is no way that you could label anything as to origin at the end of the day. My job was to supply meat to the meat cutters that was thawed, as they needed it. If half way through the shift, I had to pull meat from the last load of Mexican to go with US or Australian, so be it, the meat is comingled just to get the job done. There is no reason to segregate and no way to do it, then you would have to season it by country, package it by country and label as such. As far as I know, some of the US beef was from Canada and killed in the US plant and put in the US box. This current law would then put all of this beef jerky as "Origin UNKNOWN".
As to the quality of the beef, the Australian product was by far the best. The US had alot of bruises in it, probably way fresher, but way to many bruises to cut out and waste. Not sure why. As the Mexican, we always joked that it was fighting bulls. We got this meat in rounds, in fifty pound boxes. I had to use a slicer to put the rounds into steaks that the meat cutters put into strips, I then picked them up and seasoned them in 250 pound batches. One day while slicing rounds, my slicer hit something vry hard, very carefully backed it up, retrieved a 12 inch piece of a picadore!!!!! We were right the Mexican stuff was fighting bulls. Now how sanitary is that? The real reason to worry lies to the south, not to the north. I would also like to ask, how many eared cattle are in the north? how many roping steers that have had injections of Ace every week so that wannabes can rope them? :???:

HAY MAKER said:
say Miss Tam you been a lil terror today,you better quit while your a head before hubby catches your big but playing on the computer all day instead of cleaning house ,LOL................good luck

So I'm ahead am I. Gee you seem to worry about my butt alot Haymaker but don't OK and don't worry about my house either as I haven't had any complaints about it either. :p :p :p

sw,

Your story is another example of why MCOOL will turn out to be a joke. With all of the exemptions for food service, H & R, etc. I think they will label everything else Origin Unknown and that will provide for us as producers all expense with no added profit.

BB

Bull Burger said:
sw,

Your story is another example of why MCOOL will turn out to be a joke. With all of the exemptions for food service, H & R, etc. I think they will label everything else Origin Unknown and that will provide for us as producers all expense with no added profit.

BB

BullBurger- Lets take out the food service exemptions- work to improve the law not kill it- Why is anyone afraid of telling consumers the truth- let the people that want to buy "mixed origin" do that- but also give them the chance to buy US origin without having to be the "well to do" that can afford to buy branded product .... Altho personally I'm not sure you would have to-- after a few places start advertising US origin beef only and get much of the business, others will follow-- At least the consumer will have the choice of which place he wants to go to....

Latest posts