• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poll for horse owners

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Are you for or against the slaughter of unusable horses?

• For

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Against

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
One of the against doesn't count-- I voted this morning before my coffee and my eyes weren't focusing- and thought I was voting against the slaughter ending bill- which I am against....

So there should be 1 more FOR and 1 less AGAINST....

Well as much of a horse lover as I am I would rather see them go for slaughter than be sent to "rescues" to be slowly starved to death!

I hate going to auction and watching meat buyers buying nice horses...sorry it happens its not just the outlaws that are bought :( Unfortunatly though you have to take the bad with the good,slaughter houses are a nessasary evil.Roper my friend trust me not all horses can be saved,gregs brother was almost killed by a crazy horse. Theres too many horses and not enough good horse people out there anymore. Its funny how cattle can go to slaughter but a fight against horses going...its because of the bond we have to them.

I've had some I wanted to kill myself!!! Seriously, slaughter is a very important part of the equine industry.I'd much rather see a fleshy, unwanted horse go to slaughter than starve to death in someones back yard.

The natural selection and removal of injured or otherwise unusable horses no longer exists as horses have become domesticated by humans. Horse slaughter is not pretty but it is necessary.

Mrs.Greg said:
Theres too many horses and not enough good horse people out there anymore. quote]
I predict that horse slaughter is coming to an end.
The people who breed unwanted horses and the people who have a lack of horsemanship will be hurt by this.
My intentions on the horse threads was to try to offer anybody help or ideas if they wanted them.
When I got into horses I had nobody helping me. Even today the help I get I have to pay for. I sure know that I would have appreciated some help. Anyway since nobody wants my help or even wants to talk about horses in a posative way there is nothing for me to say except that I sincerly hope the best for everyone and your horses.
Happy Trails :wink:

RoperAB said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Theres too many horses and not enough good horse people out there anymore. quote]
I predict that horse slaughter is coming to an end.
The people who breed unwanted horses and the people who have a lack of horsemanship will be hurt by this.
My intentions on the horse threads was to try to offer anybody help or ideas if they wanted them.
When I got into horses I had nobody helping me. Even today the help I get I have to pay for. I sure know that I would have appreciated some help. Anyway since nobody wants my help or even wants to talk about horses in a posative way there is nothing for me to say except that I sincerly hope the best for everyone and your horses.
Happy Trails :wink:
Roper I defy anybody to say you know nothing about horses...your dedication to them is more then admirable.I truly hope your right about people breeding unwanted horses because that is a bone of contention to me also.I hope your right and I also hope you don't change your feelings on the slaughter issue,you have the right to think and say what you feel....thats democracy :D

Thank you folks, for participating in this poll. With Oldtimer's vote switched around, it comes out 40 for the slaughter of horses, and 3 against. This reinforces the fact that the real owners of horses realize that horse processing plants are necessary to dispose of unwanted horses. If the horse slaughter ban goes into effect, it is because the people who don't actually have anything to do with horses are making the rules that the rest of us have to follow. They "don't have a dog in the fight," so to speak, but they are calling the shots that the real horse lovers and horse owners have to abide by. This is just not right.

So theres three against,we all know Roper was one...wheres the other two "brave" people,why not say why they don't agree with it,the way its worded only horse owners were to vote,so step up and say why you don't agree.

I dont agree with it, because if the horse is a pet and has been with you forever and it couldnt be used but it wasnt in pain or anything than why not let it live its life out peacefully? If it was just a "horse" that didnt really mean anything to you, its still mean to just ship them off. But if it was a nasty tempered horse that could seriously injure you, i would probaly ship it off. I wouldnt how ever ship off an old freind just becasue he was old and wasnt worth anything any more. Dad shipped off my old friend a few years ago. I had gotten him when I first moved up her and confided in him, to come home one day and see that he was gone. I was heart broken and all dad said was hes not earning his keep hes just eating all the cows hay. He hasnt ever like horses so it wasnt a big deal to ship off this horse like it was a cow. he didnt know how i felt about this horse, or he did and thats why he got rid of him while i wasnt home! Thats just my oppinion tho.
I guess it just really depends on what horse it is and how much it means to you. I know where all you(the people who voted for) are comming from im against it but i guess if worse came to worse it would be better to send the horse to a slaughter plant then have to kill it myself. so can I vote for it and vote against it? I guess it just really depends what animal it is! Theres both negitives and positives for horse slaughter plants.

Katy

OldDog/NewTricks said:
I Vote YES! BUT-

Not for human consumption –

Not that I'm against eating horse meat but some of the drugs we can legally use on horses are not fit for the food chain

Is there a withdrawl period for slaughter?

Work Hard and Study Hard said:
OldDog/NewTricks said:
I Vote YES! BUT-

Not for human consumption –

Not that I'm against eating horse meat but some of the drugs we can legally use on horses are not fit for the food chain

Is there a withdrawl period for slaughter?

Some drugs used on horses say not for use in animals to be used for food.

Hello folks, its been awhile. Now this is a tough call for me! But I'd have to say that I would be for slaughter. I've only had horses for about 8 years and had to put a few down. Here I thought it was the "nice" thing to do rather than ship them. Be it because of old age or nasty disposition - I opted to put them down and bury them. With all the time and effort it took to do this - only to have some coyotes dig 5 feet deep into the ground for a late night feast. If someone going to enjoy the meal, and the meat is safe - I'd rather it be the two legged animal. I personally would not eat horse meat - but to each his or her own!
:roll:

I do not understand what these people think we should be doing with the number of unwanted horses each year....while I'm not a fan of the idea and I would never send one of my horses to that fate it is a needed means to an end. As far as the eating things goes it's a personal choice and maybe a religious one too. ( the bible does say not to eat single hooved critters. cloven hooved only) I can say I would have to be starving and not have any other choices for food before I could eat one. As many others have said I would rather a horse take a trip to the plant than wither away to nothing and/or die from lack of food/care.

woops my mouse is acting up i hit against and i ment for horse slaughter for unusable horses. I love horses, but if you think of it like cattle their raised for meat, and an old horse that can't be used might as well be the same way, unless of course your extremely attached to it. In that case the horse'll die on the farm and be buried where he lays. Like my appy

I don't think horse slaughter should be ban, it would not be humane of us. What would happen to all of the unusable horses when the rescues and therapeutic riding camps can't take them. If they are even safe enough to be used in that aspect. They will be turned loose, and revert back to wild horses. I thought there was to many of those already. As far as I know most of the horse meat is sent over seas and is a delicacy. What would you rather have horses running free, fending for themsevles, or selling them to the meat buyers. If you choose the meat buyer, remember that you still have your memories of that special friend and you don't have to worry that it is starving or being eaten by predators.

Latest posts