• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poll: Have you registered your ranch premises yet?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Have you registered your ranch premises yet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Soapweed

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have registered your ranch premises at this time? I keep getting letters in the mail, recommending that we accomplish this task. The last one went so far as to insult a person's intelligence and offer a flashlight for a gift as an added incentive. My guess is that "batteries aren't included." :roll: So far, I am dragging my feet. My goal is to be the last rancher in Cherry County to register.

For the record, I am against mandatory country of origin labeling, and I am against mandatory livestock identification. I also realize that either one is completely worthless without the other.

I to have registered the home place but not the pastures I rent for the summer. They don't need to know everything. I too am against the cool and manditory ID as mine are already IDed with their tag and brand and the brand is hard to lose, tag now a different story, but havn't lost one in several years

I registered, but now feel cheated....I could really use a flashlight!

jigs said:

Probably not missing out on much-- probably a government one that only works during daylight hours and weekdays...... :wink: :lol:

Initially Texas was going to get everyone registered by July 2006. They handed out the forms at all meetings, sale barns etc. If you registered before July 1 no charge. After July 1 it would be manditory and a fee. Well, the more we learned about it the more resistance there was. Anytime you move cattle you had to report it. ie.... if you carried bulls to get them fertility checked, or moved cows from one premisis to another you must report it. Well, there was enough opposition they finally withdrew that plan. Don't know where we are now. I have not registered and don't plan to until forced. It was bad enough that I was, " randomly computer picked " to TB test all our cows two years ago.

We haven't registered our premises and don't plan to either. Seems like they want everything registered these days---your guns, your wells, your premises, the list goes on and on.

I just asked hubby and he said we have registered..not sure what this all means..but oh well. and no we didn't get a flashlight or even a bulb!

I registered mine 2 years ago now I have been randomly chosen to have the whole herd TB tested 3 times thru the chute in a little over a week should be a fun time.They say if I cant find any help they will send out their own crew.I may take them up on it as some of my cows are a bit waspy should make for some good stories.I was suppose to have it done by june but I told them no way was I running heavy cows or pairs thru the chute in the spring with our spring work and this it would have been a total of 5 times they would have to be ran thru then another 3 times on all the AI cows.

We were some of the first to register,trying to do the right thing,the registering was going good in Texas before the NCBA got involved,trying to use it as a means to increase membership.
I disagree about M COOL and M ID going together,I say its about time the US cattle man can identify and promote his product,and give the consumer valid information on the product they feed their families,M COOL does that, M ID still has a ways to go before it will be acceptable to the cattle man.
I dont ever remember an ear tag stopping a disease.
good luck

Oldtimer said:
jigs said:

Probably not missing out on much-- probably a government one that only works during daylight hours and weekdays...... :wink: :lol:

Maybe that is why I like the Holidays and weekends :)

Registered two years ago. When we were still in Dairy we had a milk producers licence. Don't really want to be a judge on this, but good, bad, or indifferent, it may help expedite solving a disease outbreak.

Been registered awhile.

Get over it....the Fed's know all your secrets anyway.

You're the only who thinks you've got a secret! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jigs said:

Oh yeah...the old " both hands and a flashlight" deal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kolanuraven said:
Been registered awhile.

Get over it....the Fed's know all your secrets anyway.

You're the only who thinks you've got a secret! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck, I don't have any secrets. Anybody that reads my junk on Ranchers.Net knows everything I know. :)

My niece works for the USDA. She has all but threatened us to register. The more she yaps...the longer it will take.

I was almost on the fence about it, till she came home with her lecture. :mad:

We registered early on, believing that ID is going to be required by CONSUMERS worldwide. It just makes good business sense to do so. No one has required any reporting by us when moving cattle from our land to rented pastures, which we do LOTS of, nor any other transport situations we have had, between counties in SD, or SD to other states. Besides, it's almost funny to note how the very idea of registering premises drives wild eyed political conspiracy buffs over the edge!!!!

We believe it should be CONSUMER DRIVEN, not mandatory for marketing reasons (COOL), and probably needs to be M for health reasons until and unless some other form of unifying and tracking health probems between states is worked out. Tracking (TB or Brucellosis, for instance, or even cattle from CA. in some northern states) has been pretty slow in some instances, which could result in real problems for cattle getting exposed to something dangerous and/or costly to the producer, in one way or another.

mrj

We registered a long time ago. Since we get carcass data back on our cattle on feed, and we are a part of Montana Branded Beef, it has helped to prove the cattle were born in Montana. We don't have a problem with it.

I have not registered and don't plan to. It's not that I have any secrets either. I just don't like being led by the nose into M ID or anything else for that matter.

I hate to inform you Soapy, but the boss of the Broken Box Ranch and I have argued that we, each would be the last in Cherry County to sign up. I guess that makes three of us now! How are we going to sort this one out?

We've registered a couple of years ago and have been selling calves as source verified. I do it for marked driven reasons: the feeder that buys my calves wants them source verified to give him more opportunity to sell them and I get a premium price for doing it.

Latest posts