• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poll on importing beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

do you agree with the restrictions on importing Canadian beef to the US for Personal consumption

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tam

Reaction score
I would like to poll all of you on ranchers about the topic of importing beef to the US for personal consumption. I asked the USDA a while back via email about why beef for personal consumption is restricted coming into the US from Canada. I got a reply back today but what a run around. They sent me to a web site for food safety, preparation and storage of meat to reduce the risk of foodborne illness, alot of good that will do. They also gave me a number to contact and the operator gave me two other numbers and they didn't work if you call from Canada, because she didn't have any reason for it. I called the Port near me to ask if they had a number I could call and Was told the reason we couldn't take personal consumption beef into the US is because we can't prove it is from UTM cattle. Then the next guy said it was because of the way Canada processes their beef. In light of the fact the USDA takes our beef in record amounts and claims it is safe I doubt that is the reason for the restrictions. Besides the argument for M'COOL in the US is so the consumers knows where their beef comes from so they know the risk they face from eatting it, isn't that right Oldtimer.
Americans traveling in Canada can bring beef with them so they don't have to eat our beef if they don't want to. But Canadian travelers traveling in the US that don't want to take a chance on US beef have only one way to protect themselves and that is by not eating beef. Canadian citizen that want to take a chance on US beef can bring beef for personal consumption without age verification into Canada. If a US citizen comes to buy beef in Canada what increase in risk does he/she face if he/she takes that beef home and eats it in their US home over eating it in Canada. So my question to all of you is do you agree with the restrictions on importing Canadian beef to the US for Personal consumption?

Those that voted yes could your please tell us why personal consumption beef is putting you at risk to the point that you think is should be ban? Do people not have the right to eat the beef they want to in the US? You do in Canada. :?

Tam said:
Those that voted yes could your please tell us why personal consumption beef is putting you at risk to the point that you think is should be ban? Do people not have the right to eat the beef they want to in the US? You do in Canada. :?

So, are you asking those that disagree with your opinion why our opinion is not valid? :shock:
Actually, in the US, we don't know WHERE our store-bought beef is from. Our right to CHOOSE is not valid here. :cry:

Chief: "Actually, in the US, we don't know WHERE our store-bought beef is from. Our right to CHOOSE is not valid here."

Not true!

There is many source verified branded beef products out there that offer more than just Country of origin. They offer RANCH OF ORIGIN and value in their product.

Always looking to the goverment to solve your "PERCEIVED" problems aren't you?

~SH~

quote by sh, There is many source verified branded beef products out there that offer more than just Country of origin. They offer RANCH OF ORIGIN and value in their product.

Do they tell if it from a ranch in Canada?

There is many source verified branded beef products out there that offer more than just Country of origin. They offer RANCH OF ORIGIN and value in their product. SH Quote;
That's Right I sell SSI source verified BEEF.

Shorty
Do they tell if it from a ranch in Canada?

The battle cry of Rcalf protectionist patriots. Come now Shorty, when are you fellows going to give up on making Canada out as the evil cousin. You are not loosing your farms because of Canadian ranchers any more than we are loosing ours because of yours. Time to get out of the war paint and think about the big picture. Fighting among producers is just where the folks that truely control this industry want.

the chief said:
Tam said:

So, are you asking those that disagree with your opinion why our opinion is not valid? :shock:
Actually, in the US, we don't know WHERE our store-bought beef is from. Our right to CHOOSE is not valid here. :cry:

Chief I explained my opinion and I would just like you to do the same if that is not to hard for you to do. :? I'm asking you to explain why you think I'm putting you at risk with my picnic. You are not the one that will be eating my picnic I am. And I'm sure I won't be asking you to join me. :wink: If I'm willing to eat it all by myself in a car driving down the highway that shouldn't have any affect on you health what so ever should it? :???:

SH is right you have a right to eat U.S.A. beef, all you have to do is go out to the pasture and select the fattest tastiest animal out there and have it slaughtered and cooker up. If you don't have your own cattle then find a friend and see if you can buy an animal off of him or find one of the many source verified labeled brands and buy all you want. But what does my home grown cooked by me left over from supper the night before roast beef sandwich have to do with you? Again M'COOL is being forced through so you know what country all your beef comes from. I know where the beef in my roast beef sandwich comes from but I can't eat it in the US as I can't bring it into the US with me.

reader (the Second) said:
~SH~ said:
Chief: "Actually, in the US, we don't know WHERE our store-bought beef is from. Our right to CHOOSE is not valid here."

Not true!

There is many source verified branded beef products out there that offer more than just Country of origin. They offer RANCH OF ORIGIN and value in their product.

~SH~

Excuse me, I bought very pricey ORGANIC beef steaks on Sunday and looked high and low for anything about source. NADA. ZIP.

Maybe your pricey organic beef was NOT SOURCE VERIFIED BEEF. Could that be two completely different sales promotion gimicks.

reader (the Second) said:
During FMD, I brought back some PORK sausage from the duty free store in Milan, which Customs promptly confiscated. It was for MY enjoyment only Tam. And it wasn't even beef.

(1) Who guarantees that the banned product is really only for the person bringing it in, versus for sale?
(2) What guarantees that the banned product won't be disposed of in a way that endangers others?

Rules have reasons and although I agree with you this they often appear "dumb," relaxing a rule as you are proposing defeats the purpose of having a rule.

Reader when the US traveler comes into Canada they can bring 11 pounds of beef with them do we know that they are not going to sell that meat? Do we know that it came from utm cattle? Do we know if they are going to dispose of it in a way that will not endanger us? NO but you still have the right to bring it to Canada and enjoy your beef in our country. This is another law that is do as I say not as I do. You can eat US beef in Canada but we can't eat our beef in your country.

relaxing a rule as you are proposing defeats the purpose of having a rule

the USDA relaxing the rules to allow imports of beef and beef by products and then live UTM cattle into the US from Canada should have defeats the purpose of having this rule . Beef from Canada can be imported into the US by the truck load but not by a sandwich for personal consumption. :roll:

And Reader if you don't know the different between FMD and BSE and how it spreads then maybe you should do some reading on FMD :???:

~SH~ said:

Not true!

~SH~

If you live in the right areas and have the sources to afford it--Bourgeois government thinking- Let the rich know where their food comes from- let the rest scrounge off the streets :( ...........

Not one person has been able to tell me how my picnic will put them in danger, but I see 13 have agreed. :roll: If you have a good reason why you voted yes why not tell us. :? Maybe you and the other do have a valid opinion Chief but if you and the others don't tell us, how are we to know you didn't just vote yes to be miserable? :???:

Tam said:
Not one person has been able to tell me how my picnic will put them in danger, but I see 13 have agreed. :roll: If you have a good reason why you voted yes why not tell us. :? Maybe you and the other do have a valid opinion Chief but if you and the others don't tell us, how are we to know you didn't just vote yes to be miserable? :???:

Tam, you'd probably pawn that meat off to your US relatives or the poor Outlook folks as real US beef--Canada has a history for doing that, you know :wink:

I guess I can see why this law is in place. There are certain restrictions on the beef imported into the US. some believe this must be strictly inforced. There is such a small amount brought here that way that the law is really ridiculous and inconsequential. I think, Tam that you are just spoiling for an arguement, so I won't bother t vote.

Clarence said:
I guess I can see why this law is in place. There are certain restrictions on the beef imported into the US. some believe this must be strictly inforced. There is such a small amount brought here that way that the law is really ridiculous and inconsequential. I think, Tam that you are just spoiling for an arguement, so I won't bother t vote.

I heard the other day that if you get caught with unreported meat in your car you could face a $10,000 dollar fine, is that inconsequential too Clarence? I doubt it was inconsequential to the people that were at the port in front of me the other day that report their sandwichs and had them taken by the customs officer. Or to those people that go south in the winter in a motor home and want to take their own meat with them. Just because you don't live next to the border doesn't mean there aren't people that this bothers, Clarence. If it is such a small amount then why ban it. Let the people take their sandwich with them who are they harming? And why should Americans beable to bring your meat into Canada and Canadians not be able to bring our meat into the US for personal consumption? Maybe it is time you do something about this rule from your side if you think it doesn't matter that much.

And Oldtimer the US friends and relative I visit with admit this whole BSE issue is just political crap. It is only people like you that think there is any more danger to eating Canadian beef than there is in eating US beef especially since the US has BSE . :shock:

By the Way when Canadian beef leaves Canada it is clearly marked product of Canada. It doesn't loose that label until it hit the US so who is really pawning off Canadian meat as their own Oldtimer? :? :roll:

Latest posts