• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Possible spring storm coming?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Usually I don't like spring storms but if we don't get some moisture
at Eastertime, it could be a long time coming.
Too bad it won't come in the form of a gentle warm rain. :p
but we'll take it any way we can get it.

This is the new weather forcast for most of Montana:
DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

A STRONG AND COLD PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL PUSH INTO THE AREA
THURSDAY NIGHT AND WILL AFFECT SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST
MONTANA THROUGH SATURDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING RAIN AND SNOW TO
THE PLAINS FROM BILLINGS WEST AND SNOW TO THE MOUNTAINS AND
NEARBY FOOTHILLS THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY. THIS STORM SYSTEM
WILL MOVE SLOWLY EASTWARD ON FRIDAY AND PRECIPITATION WILL SPREAD
INTO SOUTHEAST MONTANA.

THE EXACT PATH OF THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION IS STILL UNCERTAIN
AT THIS TIME BUT FARMERS AND RANCHERS MAY WANT TO BEGIN TO TAKE
STEPS TO PROTECT YOUNG LIVESTOCK FROM COLD RAIN AND WET SNOW

We've had a Montana wind blowing from the southeast since 10 this morning. Sky is getting blacker and blacker to the west.

Hopefully the wind will blow it over without any moisture. we have enough for now.

A storm would be tough on the young calves but we could use some moisture.

I remember when Noah built the ark and eastern Montana and southern Saskatchewan got scattered showers. :?

6 inches of white &h!+ and still coming down. :roll:

Would have been nice for someone that needed it but I guess the Lord has His reasons.

I've been calving for a week but I'd take some moisture any way it comes. Fire season started the middle of February and hasn't let up. Watched about 400 ton of hay burn Friday.

Well if Murphy's Law prevails we will probably get the worst blizzard of the winter-- since I have trailers and help lined up to haul the pairs that have calved to the north summer pasture.... :roll: :wink:

Got a good .50" of rain today with about 2" of snow and still rain/snow mix tonight. First real moisture since early February will take any kind of moisture. Had a really bad fire about 3 weeks ago about 45 miles north of me. Burnt 25,000 acres lost some homes and about 60 head of cows, with some dying off now from all the smoke the breathed in. That day we had 65 mph winds with it.

tenbach79 said:
Got a good .50" of rain today with about 2" of snow and still rain/snow mix tonight. First real moisture since early February will take any kind of moisture. Had a really bad fire about 3 weeks ago about 45 miles north of me. Burnt 25,000 acres lost some homes and about 60 head of cows, with some dying off now from all the smoke the breathed in. That day we had 65 mph winds with it.

That is so tough. I'm very sorry to hear. Tragic.
Is that the fire that the woman on tv in the suv told the reporter
that was NOT an accident but set on fire intentionally by (I think)
Bennett county?

No this was in Yuma County started by a fallen power line or lines crossing from the wind. First you deal with the fire but now the ground is blowing.

Today: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 52. North northwest wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 32. North wind between 13 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after noon. Widespread blowing snow after noon. High near 36. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 26 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow and widespread blowing snow. Low around 26. Windy, with a north northwest wind between 23 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Saturday: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. Blustery, with a west northwest wind between 22 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. West northwest wind between 11 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

MTZ016-017-022-059>061-052200-
/O.NEW.KGGW.BZ.A.0001.120406T1200Z-120408T0000Z/
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST PHILLIPS-CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VALLEY-
GARFIELD-NORTHERN PHILLIPS-SOUTHWEST PHILLIPS-NORTHERN VALLEY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MALTA...SACO...GLASGOW...FORT PECK...
HINSDALE...FRAZER...JORDAN...WHITEWATER...ZORTMAN...OPHEIM
418 AM MDT THU APR 5 2012

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY
AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GLASGOW HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY
AFTERNOON.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW ACROSS PHILLIPS AND NORTHERN
VALLEY COUNTIES FRIDAY MORNING. THE CHANGE FROM RAIN TO SNOW
WILL SPREAD INTO GARFIELD AND CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VALLEY
COUNTIES FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS
WILL DEVELOP FRIDAY MORNING WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE
THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 40 MPH ARE LIKELY WITH
NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY POSSIBLE IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...HIGHER TERRAIN AREAS LIKE THE LITTLE ROCKY
MOUNTAINS AND THE OPHEIM AREA COULD RECEIVE 9 TO 12 INCHES OF
SNOW
WHILE RIVER VALLEYS HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR 3 TO 6 INCHES
OF SNOW.

* OTHER IMPACTS...SNOW WILL START AS A WET SLUSHY DURING THE DAY
FRIDAY. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO FREEZE ON AREA ROADS FRIDAY
NIGHT MAKING FOR VERY SLIPPERY CONDITIONS. LIVESTOCK COULD
BECOME STRANDED FOR SEVERAL DAYS. STRONG WINDS COULD CAUSE TREE
LIMBS AND POWER LINES TO SNAP...LEADING TO POWER OUTAGES.

Looks like my moving cows to pasture may have to go on hold til Monday as the Opheim area is the direction I was heading with them...Just won't have as much free labor available...

It will be nice to get the moisture....Every wheat farmer in the area was working all night long seeding trying to beat the moisture...But as unaccurate as the weather folks have been with their storm and moisture predictions this spring, some may be disappointed...

37 degrees here now- with a 35 mph north wind that feels like it is blowing right off a Canadian igloo.....Fed the cows in behind the wind breaks- and just as I was finishing it began to snain...
Sounds like west of us is getting enough snow/snain to slush up the highways...

still dry here. had a pretty good sized rain cloud headed towards us last night but it decided to head straight up the SD/MT border. hopefully the next 24 hours brings us some sort of moisture, i'd take it in just about any form.

We had a little shower last night; just enough for the cat to track
mud in when he came back into the house. :x

Last I looked, they are saying this should be over by Saturday
morning. Golly, we do need some moisture and like you, Justin,
we'd take it in any form!

Snowed here last night. Less than an inch, but moisture is always welcome! :D And the pressure drop was enough to talk an old sister into calving as we speak. 2 more to go! :D

leanin' H said:
Snowed here last night. Less than an inch, but moisture is always welcome! :D And the pressure drop was enough to talk an old sister into calving as we speak. 2 more to go! :D

You'll be done in time to go help Gcreek finish up. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

I better swing by and pick you up on my way. That way i might have a chance of finding Canada! :shock: I think it's left of here a ways. :wink:

leanin' H said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

I better swing by and pick you up on my way. That way i might have a chance of finding Canada! :shock: I think it's left of here a ways. :wink:

If you come this way you might not get away as I will just be starting to calve. I'll put you on a horse and send you out checking Hfrs. :D

leanin' H said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:

You guys better hurry up, 15% are on the ground and due date is Monday.

It's been colder mornings the last week than most of the winter. :roll:

gcreekrch said:
leanin' H said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

You guys better hurry up, 15% are on the ground and due date is Monday.

It's been colder mornings the last week than most of the winter. :roll:

Oh Darn, You might be done before I can get there. :( :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts