• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Post a Ranch Photo!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Absolutely beautiful pictures............beautiful!

Since I've been unable to get around any fully-operating farms or ranches, the photos I've taken are of wildlife and scenery in Rocky Mountain N.P, Yellowstone National Park, PRCA rodeo action, parades and Fairs.

Have numerous shots of 4-H and FFA members showing livestock at the Colorado State Fair, Great Western Stock Show & Rodeo in Denver, CO and the Larimer County Fair. Got photos of the Cheyenne Frontier Days Parade and the Greeley 4th of July Parade. Two big parades.

We've been in Rocky Mountain N.P. for the Elk "rut" in September, visited the upper and lower parts of Yellowstone and drove thru Custer State Park in South Dakota.

Actually, when we lived here before, we took Trail Ridge Road all the way to the top (Summitt) at 12,183 feet. The highest paved road in North America. Went up by way of Estes Park, over the Continental Divide and down thru Grand Lake. Very interesting and very high.

I took a picture of a full-size Bull Elk, in Yellowstone N.P. that we have hanging on our living room wall.

Have some photos taken at Centennial Livestock Auction in Ft. Collins.
That's so cool when I was showing my show goat at the McLennan county show in Texas I saw so many photographers taking photos of us!

Here's some more of the cattle and chula or black lab also our new jack (male donkey) with our jenny(female donkey) and her baby is growing so fast! As said before these are not all the cattle but the rest should be here around 5 o'clock

ps:(couldn't add all photos so I will upload some more now
6672D7D3-1607-469A-A987-1680C2D205A1.jpeg
4686D8F0-F7BC-4227-8DF1-6A1505E4286F.jpeg
E00E59C4-19D2-44B8-95D1-7CAC401A5EA7.jpeg
3C00D24B-C60B-4CEB-85FF-22D26CC7E1D4.jpeg
81629492-9B8B-42DC-81C4-F3EE3908F183.jpeg
D347A510-51B5-4706-9313-C526EF943A88.jpeg
19653A61-68EC-4A0E-91B1-38065CB5BA31.jpeg
90865A38-2B74-47EC-9F3F-B64B70A7B19E.jpeg
38B8CE4F-36ED-41F0-BBDE-40386F7AFFF1.jpeg
2C1B89B1-435C-4A4E-98FD-0D6C03D15043.jpeg

Awesome photo! Just edited to say all your photos are great and bring back good memories of your area.

Last edited:
Absolutely a beautiful Easter Morning. It was the kind of morning that makes a person want to take pictures. A couple of pictures of cows on the feed row. And a little guy holding the hay down while he eats on it.

Attachments

• P4032442.JPG
    P4032442.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P4032444.JPG
    P4032444.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P4032456.JPG
    P4032456.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 55
Awesome photo! Just edited to say all your photos are great and bring back good memories of your area.
Here I finally have time to reply to your comments about the location. That snow covered mountain is Little Lookout. Lookout Mountain is on the far right in the picture. Those trees down in the valley are along the Burnt River. If that ridge wasn't sticking out into the field over Bear's nose wasn't there you would be looking at beautiful down town Durkee. So over her back before the ground starts to rise up you would find old Highway 30, the railroad tracks, and I-84. That direction it is about 30 miles to Richland. And beyond that ....... it is a mighty long ways to anything.

Some more of the calves and their mommas I love being able to be with these cattle everyday not so fun when we have to sell the bulls.
DB60FD6F-69FF-4D17-899C-8182515B5A4F.jpeg
3163FF63-5392-4CF1-BE3D-2A6A3B52BDE5.jpeg
83E415F7-96BE-497D-BC48-AF38793C0D44.jpeg
7480791D-40DF-4AD2-B986-F674D0666A87.jpeg
B48B9C85-DFE1-4BBB-A322-D4A87854F746.jpeg

Here I finally have time to reply to your comments about the location. That snow covered mountain is Little Lookout. Lookout Mountain is on the far right in the picture. Those trees down in the valley are along the Burnt River. If that ridge wasn't sticking out into the field over Bear's nose wasn't there you would be looking at beautiful down town Durkee. So over her back before the ground starts to rise up you would find old Highway 30, the railroad tracks, and I-84. That direction it is about 30 miles to Richland. And beyond that ....... it is a mighty long ways to anything.
Beautiful downtown Durkee hahaha! The ma and pa cafe there 40 years ago made a great breakfast or it was on one special occasion.

I was coming back from being up 24 hours helping with calving way south of nowhere and Mormon Basin. I decided to take a shortcut through Rye Valley over to Hwy 30. I had to drive as my friend was overtired and fell asleep before I was in the driver's seat. Her pickup was fairly new, comfortable, and automatic, unlike my old International 4WD to which I was accustomed. Coming through Rye Valley as daylight was breaking, I was awakened by her screaming, and the sound of giant sage brush beating her extended side mirrors something fierce. All we could see was giant sagebrush all around us. I reversed it and was able to follow the path of disturbed sagebrush until we hit the dirt road. I was about a half-mile off the road. I had failed to navigate a curve in the road. We sat there awhile drinking the last of the cold coffee from the thermos.

A pickup arrived and the guy asked, "Are you little ladies OK? He had seen us leave the road as he was doing his daybreak cattle check from his hill viewpoint. He poured us both hot cups of coffee and that kept us alert until we hit the Durkee cafe where we had breakfast. This was in the early 1980's way before Carrie Underwood sang, "Jesus take the wheel."

Last edited:
One of my cousins 1920 or so on his ranch all gussied up before he was loaded with his horse on the train going from Arizona to New York where he won all-around cowboy in Madison Square Garden. He was a full-time cattle rancher with rodeo as an easy way to pick up some extra cash.

He was the first known to crease his hat as in the photo and it is still copied today and some think it was made famous by Gus in the movie Lonesome Dove. I disagree.
352 l.jpg

Went out on the desert yesterday for an Easter Jaunt. Ran into a band of mustangs and took some pictures. Pretty dayView attachment 626View attachment 627View attachment 628View attachment 629View attachment 630
I just love seeing these wild horse photos I'm thinking of being a farrier when I'm older and my dads wife a very city girl doesn't like that my dad and me love living out in the country and have all theses farm animals and she told me one day that I'm a girl and I could never work with all those animals but I get kicked by cows , horses and bit I'm pretty sure I can handle clipping , shoeing , and taking care of some other persons animals hooves and they get paid a lot! From what I hear but I just love the wild horse photos maybe I can do wild horse hooves at auctions who knows 🤷‍♀️

When I was a little bitty baby
my grampsy would carry me sometimes maybe
among the old mesquites on his ranch home
and when my diapers became full and ripe
he would hand me back to granny, she didn't gripe
then with my folks headed back to our Rocky Mountain ranch home

GP baby rs.jpg

Circa 1960 a few of our brood cows grazing the lower pasture with a new young polled bull
Cattle ranch 60's rs.jpg

My father believed in investing in land, not the house. He had just finished remodeling one ranch
house and the value was such he could buy topwater rights alfalfa field and clover Timothy grass pasture
for cash and get more land by selling the current place that was poor soil with little water, but nice house.
So I lived in this beauty until I left home. Beautiful view! As you can see I was raised in royal privilege. I do consider myself privileged because I was raised on a ranch with ranch roots on both sides of my family.
ranch house 1aa.jpg

A view across one of my West Texas family's ranch.
w Tex ranch.jpg

The alfalfa 1st cutting looks promising. The rain this spring has been wonderful and so far they haven't even started getting the irrigation going. This is above my house and there once was about 200 acres of pasture with about 100 of it irrigated and then this hayfield. They would run about 50-60 head and it always looked well managed. Now that pasture is all expensive residential housing. I miss seeing the cows as I walked by and the new calves that frolicked around this time of year. That was 20 years ago. All that is left is this alfalfa field before the country becomes sagebrush and native grass and small acreages. So far the owner is holding out selling this field. The photos are from this morning's walk. I may not stop to smell the roses, but I do alfalfa.
alaf 500.jpg

Some old faded photos from my Colorado Ranch upbringing.
I found a few that are color. Most are black and white.

My father would seldom leave the ranch to take time off.
My mom and I would sometimes go on short trips.
Here I am age 10 at Mesa Verde striking a pose.

New Image.jpg

Scenes at the ranch.

817218N46Dxv9P.jpg
817045MI8OtDRw.jpg

Latest posts