• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Price of Corn Just Went Down

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I see that Cornell has completed a study that says ethanol production uses 29% more fossil fuel energy than is derived from the ethanol.

A person needs to remember that not only is ethanol produced but valuable byproducts are also produced.

Mike said:
I see that Cornell has completed a study that says ethanol production uses 29% more fossil fuel energy than is derived from the ethanol.

Maybe they need to burn ethanol in their stills?

Sandhusker said:
Mike said:

Maybe they need to burn ethanol in their stills?

Planting the corn burns fuel, harvesting the corn burns fuel, trucking the corn to the still burns fuel, trucking the ethanol burns fuel. (Because of corrosiveness of the ethanol, it is not piped)

Don't make sense to me either. But that's what they said.

We have a "coal burning generator" up the road a piece that buys bales of switchgrass to use for fuel. If it were not for the "Renewable Energy Tax Credits" from the guvment, the cost of the switchgrass would be double the coal for the generating comapany. :???:

Hell, Let's go back to horses and mules and run the country on what Washington DC runs on .........'Horse Sh*t!!! :lol:

Just read that the goal of this guy is to mandate vehicles get double the mileage they now get. Guess we will all be driving little tiny cars and not pulling our trailers filled with cattle down the road any longer if that happens.

I do believe mileage could be improved, but let the marketplace decide that, please.

It does seem a bit far-fetched to attribute even the costs of making the machinery it takes to raise corn, and delivery costs of farmers' tractors ALL to the cost of producing ethanol. And not figuring in any benefit to the cleaner burn from ethanol.

Wonder who is paying his salary?

MRJ

CattleCo said:
Hell, Let's go back to horses and mules and run the country on what Washington DC runs on .........'Horse Sh*t!!! :lol:

There are a few things we've disagreed on, CattleCo, but I have to side with you on this one! :lol:

Lots of energy goes into growing corn, one of the biggest being the fertilizer costs. I've read studies on the inefficiencies of ethanol production from corn and grain in general years ago, but once politicians get going on something.... watch out!! Apparently even if the energy balance does not work out, if it is politically popular, it will be done. You know something is wrong when the ethanol plants are subsidized and brazil can still produce it and deliver it to the shores of the USA cheaper than the States can produce it themselves.

beentheredonethat said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I takes 9 gallons of water to produce a gallon of ethanol. Where will the US get their water, Canada?

Do you do anything but sit by your computer blasting the US all the while envying our cattle market so much it makes you hurt? Send the son out on a harvest crew cause dad has no work at home cause he lost the ranch after becoming an internet troll. WTG Buddy. Your pathetic.

For your info we were moveing cattle this morning and heading out to cut hay this afternoon. Just haveing lunch and a cup of tea. You seem to have time to worry about me . What are you up to?

By the way my daughter was looking in to ethanol production for the out fit see worked for and came to the conclusion that the more you studied about it the less desireable ethanol production looks. It can't compete with $60 dollar oil with out subsidy.

Big Muddy rancher said:
By the way my daughter was looking in to ethanol production for the out fit see worked for and came to the conclusion that the more you studied about it the less desireable ethanol production looks. It can't compete with $60 dollar oil with out subsidy.

so at what price per barrel does it become competive.

frenchie said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Or, could it be competitive at any price?

CattleCo wrote:
Hell, Let's go back to horses and mules and run the country on what Washington DC runs on .........'Horse Sh*t!!!

There are a few things we've disagreed on, CattleCo, but I have to side with you on this one!

Sandhusker,
I cannot believe the BS that is coming from what we thought were intelligent folks.
I did go to a horse sale last weekend and the market was good. As for this cattle market......If you cannot make it on selling a 500-550 # feeder calf for a buck a pound, you're a damm poor manager or your calf is junk! We are in this business because we like the life style, the independence, the c-sections at 10 below, the prolapse, the pinkeye, the foot rot, the broken penis on that 4000 dollar bull, the transmission that fell out of the pickup 2 miles from the house, the crop failures, ..................anything I missed?
As for ethanol, Sandhusker, I think it is a waste of good corn that Ezra Brooks or Jack Daniels could make better use of.....what do you think? :)

Mike said:
frenchie said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

It must be because of the subsidies, but 10% ethanol sells for about a nickel a gallon less around here....

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
frenchie said:

It must be because of the subsidies, but 10% ethanol sells for about a nickel a gallon less around here....

At current blending rates there is a surplus production of Ethanol. Without large subsidies these plants would be shut down. The worst part of Ethanol, besides manufacturing cost, is that fuel mileage goes down. The only reasonable reason, if there is one, to support this industry is for National Security.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I takes 9 gallons of water to produce a gallon of ethanol. Where will the US get their water, Canada?

Contrary to what you think we have some of our own recources were just saving them while we deplete yours....

Denny said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Contrary to what you think we have some of our own recources were just saving them while we deplete yours....

Glad you clear that up for me Denny. :wink: :roll:

Denny said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Actually, the US has no water resources to save, so your post is obviously some kind of dumb joke. The only way that the US won't come after Canada's water is for the american people to conserve, and we all know that will never happen. They can't conserve energy because they're all so self-centered, so how are they going to conserve water?

New technology always costs a bit, but hopefully the science will evolve to a level where we can all see added value in it! I forsee a day when a Rancher would have his own ethanol generator and he can dump in his own raw materials, providing a cheap source of power.

I don't see a problem with Government subsidizing new technology to get it started to a point where demand and economies of scale come into play!

Side note: I know a dairy producer that burns anything he can find in his outdoor furnace to heat both the house and hot water heater in the barn.

Murgen said:
New technology always costs a bit, but hopefully the science will evolve to a level where we can all see added value in it! I forsee a day when a Rancher would have his own ethanol generator and he can dump in his own raw materials, providing a cheap source of power.

Side note: I know a dairy producer that burns anything he can find in his outdoor furnace to heat both the house and hot water heater in the barn.

Where you been, Murgen? Missed arguing with you. :wink:

Latest posts