• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prices on Superior

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
I went to the Big Horn Classic Superior Calf Sale this week. It is always fun to watch and learn what sells the best. Quality and reputation is #1 and then the added value programs come second. Those programs that have developed a name for quality will really ring the bell. You can just feel it in the room when these well respected programs sell. Then the Source and Aged calves will usually add $3 to $5 a hundred. If the calves have everything done to them, Source and Aged, Certified Natural, Vaccinated, NHTC, ect they will bring alot more. I saw some that were $10 to $15 dollars higher than calves that were generic.

Then the replacement heifers were high as well. Most heifers were about $15 back from their steer mates, but the replacement heifers were from $5 back to $15 higher than steers. Most steers in the 550 lbs area were $150/cwt area or less.

Quality and reputation sells, and most of the reputation herds were Source and Aged.

Talked to a guy today that sold his steer calves on Thursday his were 640# and I think he said January delivery sold for $1.45. Pretty good ticket.

I sold two loads of black steer calves private treaty for mid October delivery. They brought $150 per cwt, base weight 600 pounds, weighed on the trucks with a two percent pencil shrink, and an eight cent per pound slide in the buyers favor if they weigh more than 600 pounds. At least I don't have to pay any commission or trucking, but will pay the brand inspection and beef check-off. A forty dollar per head deposit sealed the deal. Guess a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Soapweed said:
I sold two loads of black steer calves private treaty for mid October delivery. They brought $150 per cwt, base weight 600 pounds, weighed on the trucks with a two percent pencil shrink, and an eight cent per pound slide in the buyers favor if they weigh more than 600 pounds. At least I don't have to pay any commission or trucking, but will pay the brand inspection and beef check-off. A forty dollar per head deposit sealed the deal. Guess a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Great Sale Soap!

Had a few bull customers sell on Superior who did quite well too.

1 load of 540 lbs steers in Nebraska- $155
1 load of 525 lbs steers in Wisconsin - $160
2 loads of 540 lbs replacement heifers in Montana - $160

Soapweed said:

Do you think Peach could get a new pair of boots. Photos posted she had her boots resold 6 times. FYI boots are on sale at Youngs.
I watched the Buffalo Wy section of Superior extream top black heifer sold with buyer announed at 163 for 570 pounds
Red whiteface heifers calves also from Buffalo
at 50O same delviery were a no sale at 125 or 130
HF

Hay Feeder said:
Soapweed said:

Do you think Peach could get a new pair of boots. Photos posted she had her boots resold 6 times. FYI boots are on sale at Youngs.
I watched the Buffalo Wy section of Superior extream top black heifer sold with buyer announed at 163 for 570 pounds
Red whiteface heifers calves also from Buffalo
at 50O same delviery were a no sale at 125 or 130
HF

Actually those are my old Wilson boots with the red tops that have been resoled six times. The other boots and spurs belong to JF Ranch, who is my second cousin.

Latest posts