• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Problem Neighbor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

atleast you would call the police this guy just wants to keep them. I am going to send him $150 that is 4 tons of wet distillers grain. There is no way 16 cows wrecked 4 tons in 15 minutes, more like 100lbs. But atleast I will be the one in the right.

You are getting some good advice Andy. Branding should be your first priority. Brand renewal is next year in SD so any brands not renewed are available. You can probably get a nice 2 iron brand that someone let go. Next is the fencing issue. The best way to cure cows that don't respect a barb wire fence is to reinforce the fence with one HOT wire. They will never be fence crawlers again. Cheaper that a 7 wire barbed fence for sure and more effective. And last but not least, sell out and move west of the Missouri River. Most people are a lot more civilized and friendly out here. :wink:

All my neighbors went broke and are out of the cattle business except a very good friend across the road. He is away during the week working. So when his cattle get out, I put them back and fix his fence.

Finding the law applicable to your situation is as simple as calling the SD Brand Board office in Pierre. Maybe they would even place a story stating it into your local papers for "all" to read. Wouldn't even need names, since it apparently is sorely need information to at least one person in your area.

Good luck for a more peaceable future!

mrj

RobertMac said:
All my neighbors went broke and are out of the cattle business except a very good friend across the road. He is away during the week working. So when his cattle get out, I put them back and fix his fence.

Your a rareity. I figure everyone's cattle get out some of us admit it.

Denny said:
RobertMac said:

Your a rareity. I figure everyone's cattle get out some of us admit it.
Thank you :wink: :roll: ...I also put out hay for my neighbor when I see they are out and he hasn't made it back to town. Can't do too much for a good neighbor...it always gets returned.

I didn't think I implied that my cattle have never "gotten out", but it is rare. I try my best to keep the grass inside my fence "greener" than the grass on the other side of the fence. I've never had cattle break off of ryegrass!

Fence, fence, and fence some more. Plus I'd join the others in branding even in a non brand area.

Branding your animals can solve many disputes that tags will not. If a hide is packin' your brand, or an ear notched with your mark, it's pretty easy to pick 'em out in the pen. Since becoming a brand inspector I've gained a lot greater appreciation for the process.

Soapweed said:
Brand your cattle, even if you aren't in a "brand area." Surely this would help prove ownership if it became necessary.

Make sure the brand is registered. The brand laws pertain to the whole state even if you aren`t in an inspection area.

Latest posts