• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Productive week

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Last Saturday we gathered the home ranch. My daughter, son , his girlfriend a father and son that usually come to ride and a young couple drove over 3 hours to come help. ( I have some land of his Great grandfather )
We brought in around 260 pairs in a nice controlled fashion by noon then after a great lunch we corralled and sorted on horse back. Nice sorting as we didn't have any dust in the sorting alley. :D
Sunday the young couple headed home with 4 extra geldings :D and we processed the calves with 2 shots and some Ivomec before turning them out in a small grassed catch behind the house.
Monday with a 3 person crew consisting of my daughter, my 89 yr old father and myself we check the cows over for feet/eyes ect and put them through the chute for a squirt of Ivomec and a mouthing on anything questionable. I was pretty hard on them and pulled out a load for the sale on Wednesday.
Tuesday my daughter and I took the cows out of the corral with the intentions of getting them one pasture north of the yard but they were trailing so nice we decided to take them the 6 miles north to their winter range and called Dad to come around by road and pick us up as we had to beat it back to get the culls tagged and on the truck by 4pm. We made it. :D
Wednesday My daughter Britt and I hauled north to pick up a group of PB cows and calves. Dad came along to bring the truck home and we trailed this group over 12 miles home. Lucky it was a cool day with a brisk breeze out of the south.(In our faces all the way home).
Thursday- We hauled to the land by Big Beaver and corralled around 40 pairs of first calvers that I bred Hereford this year. We sorted them on horse back as well and loaded up half the calves and came home for lunch then went back and Ivomeced the cows and Dad hauled the other half of the calves home while Britt and I rode across 2 hiways(It's right by a junction) and brought in another 30 PB pairs. These cows almost sorted them selves and we Ivomeced them cows and turned them in with the 40 and will leave them until the weather cools down some more then trail them to winter pasture. We hauled 2 more loads of calves home and Britt used my older truck on her brothers old goose neck to bring the horses home.It felt like a long day. :(
Friday- We had another 100 calves to vaccinate and the 40 off the first calves had got moved to town before branding and we only vaccinated up town so they needed a brand put on today. We also poured the 30 cows we trailed home on Wednesday.
Britt had to go back to work tonight at the hospital. (For a rest) :D
We do have to trail the bred Hfrs home from my sons place and tag and pour them and bring the bulls in and cull them and pour the ones staying for next year.
It felt pretty good to get that much done, the weather was great and it was one of the fall gatherings I enjoyed the most.
:D
Now I have get back to hauling bales. :( :lol: :lol:

Not likely that anyone had to tell you to get to sleep on most of those evenings!

You are fortunate to have your dad still being so active at his age! Not many can say that.

Big Muddy, you and your crew did very well and accomplished a lot this week. It's nice when well thought out plans work in reality the way they do in your mind. :wink: Congratulations.

You must be beat, I got tired just reading about all that work. It's great to have a well planned, well executed week. Are you narrowing in on the bale hauling?

per said:
You must be beat, I got tired just reading about all that work. It's great to have a well planned, well executed week. Are you narrowing in on the bale hauling?

I agree with per, I got tired from reading.
Congratulations, tho, I love it when a plan comes together.
Nice that you can find help and that your dad is so active.
I think Brit needs a raise in wages. :wink:

Good luck with your bale hauling.
When do you sell your calves?

We background out calves so we may sell some in the spring and keep the rest over the summer.

I did find one side effect to my Gallbladder surgery. :?

When I fill a syringe I usually rest the heel of the gun against my chest but dang it was right where the one incision is and it hurt. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Nicky said:
Good job! How do your crossbred calves look?

We just have the few Herefords I bought a couple years ago and I think those calves are better then the straight Herefords but they didn't out shine the straight blacks by any means. The calves off the Hereford cows fit in with the rest of the calves but the Hereford cows are bigger on average then my black cows.
I bred straight black first calvers to Horned Hereford this year for next spring calving.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We background out calves so we may sell some in the spring and keep the rest over the summer.

When I fill a syringe I usually rest the heel of the gun against my chest but dang it was right where the one incision is and it hurt. :shock: :lol: :lol:

If it hurts when you do that, DON'T DO THAT! :D :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:

well ole fella....... stay away from the surgeons and it wont hurt when you push on it :D

Make sure you let me know when you are going o sell the baldies off those first calvers I kind of have a soft spot for those cattle. All the kids are down by Buffalo pound hunting mulies with bows and one muzzie no bucks aas yet but they are fussy lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Make sure you let me know when you are going o sell the baldies off those first calvers I kind of have a soft spot for those cattle. All the kids are down by Buffalo pound hunting mulies with bows and one muzzie no bucks aas yet but they are fussy lol.

Buffalo, as in Wyoming?
Just curious.

Faster horses said:
Northern Rancher said:

Buffalo, as in Wyoming?
Just curious.

Buffalo Pound lake as in just north of Moose Jaw. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Last Saturday we gathered the home ranch. My daughter, son , his girlfriend a father and son that usually come to ride and a young couple drove over 3 hours to come help. ( I have some land of his Great grandfather )
We brought in around 260 pairs in a nice controlled fashion by noon then after a great lunch we corralled and sorted on horse back. Nice sorting as we didn't have any dust in the sorting alley. :D
Sunday the young couple headed home with 4 extra geldings :D and we processed the calves with 2 shots and some Ivomec before turning them out in a small grassed catch behind the house.
Monday with a 3 person crew consisting of my daughter, my 89 yr old father and myself we check the cows over for feet/eyes ect and put them through the chute for a squirt of Ivomec and a mouthing on anything questionable. I was pretty hard on them and pulled out a load for the sale on Wednesday.
Tuesday my daughter and I took the cows out of the corral with the intentions of getting them one pasture north of the yard but they were trailing so nice we decided to take them the 6 miles north to their winter range and called Dad to come around by road and pick us up as we had to beat it back to get the culls tagged and on the truck by 4pm. We made it. :D
Wednesday My daughter Britt and I hauled north to pick up a group of PB cows and calves. Dad came along to bring the truck home and we trailed this group over 12 miles home. Lucky it was a cool day with a brisk breeze out of the south.(In our faces all the way home).
Thursday- We hauled to the land by Big Beaver and corralled around 40 pairs of first calvers that I bred Hereford this year. We sorted them on horse back as well and loaded up half the calves and came home for lunch then went back and Ivomeced the cows and Dad hauled the other half of the calves home while Britt and I rode across 2 hiways(It's right by a junction) and brought in another 30 PB pairs. These cows almost sorted them selves and we Ivomeced them cows and turned them in with the 40 and will leave them until the weather cools down some more then trail them to winter pasture. We hauled 2 more loads of calves home and Britt used my older truck on her brothers old goose neck to bring the horses home.It felt like a long day. :(
Friday- We had another 100 calves to vaccinate and the 40 off the first calves had got moved to town before branding and we only vaccinated up town so they needed a brand put on today. We also poured the 30 cows we trailed home on Wednesday.
Britt had to go back to work tonight at the hospital. (For a rest) :D
We do have to trail the bred Hfrs home from my sons place and tag and pour them and bring the bulls in and cull them and pour the ones staying for next year.
It felt pretty good to get that much done, the weather was great and it was one of the fall gatherings I enjoyed the most.
:D
Now I have get back to hauling bales. :( :lol: :lol:

Well it looks like you mended nicely, stay after it, be winter shortly and plenty time for computers.
good luck

Latest posts