• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Promoting Our Product

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw

Reaction score
Hanta Yo and crew spent four days promoting beef, handing out pamphlets about beef, recipes for beef, beef samples and sold recipe books during the annual Montana Ag Trade Exhibition in Billings last weekend.

beefc.jpg

Thousands come by the booth everyday asking questions, getting recipes and enjoying the show

beefc3.jpg

On Saturday they handed out samples of Smoky Beef Enchilada Skillet, one of the winning recipes in the 2005 Beef Cookoff

beefc2.jpg

Saturdays crew included the Collegiate Cattlewomen from MSU, these are volunteers working for the good of the beef industry

I'd be hungry all the time if I had to cook and hand out samples. Might not be many samples tasted by others. :wink:

Good work ladies. Promotion, promotion ,promotion. :lol:

I will agree with you on this one BMR, good on these folks.

Just too bad that Cargill didn't have a booth around the corner. You know cooperative advertising by those who benefit. :wink:

Excellent job! Every rancher needs to be a beef promoter. Looks like the check off had a part in the booth.

Great job, Ladies.
I really appreciate the volunteers like you who make our checkoff dollars stretch far beyond what they could do if all such projects had to pay the workers.

rkaiser, I would just about bet Cargill is paying into the checkoff, either on cattle they own for must over ten days (cut off point for cattle traders being required to pay the checkoff on cattle they may have a little trouble moving fast enough), OR, on money they contribute to joint industry and checkoff projects. The rate for that currently stands at $62.00 from the business for $1.00 from the checkoff on projects such as the one with Boston Market, for instance.

That project was a real coup for the cattle producer, IMO. Getting a restaurant that had been strong on featuring chicken to offer SEVERAL sirloin steak and roast entrees was BIG. The fact that they paid much of the cost of the project was even bigger.

MRJ

I guess one of the reasons that I posted this is that there are some people trying to increase demand for our product, and there are people who would rather spend money on lawsuits and picking fights. BTW, MCA (R-Calf) was given two seats based on membership, onto the Montana Beef Council, they were given time slots to help in the booth. I was curious to see if they would promote beef or promote R-Calf. They did not show up as far as I can tell from people who were there when I was not. Tells me alot about their agenda. Also get some of them coming to the booth and basically being richard noggins whining about the Stockgrowers and how the checkoff is run by the NCBA and they ain't paying anymore. Boy is that going to help us fight the bunny huggers, EPA, ESA and the general concensus that chicken is better. Go ahead, start calling me names, I'm already Taliban according to some on here. :???:

GREAT WORK HANTA :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Like I said before the wackos have their agenda set and working smooth. You dont see them fighting amongst themselves.
Maybe I see it since I dont have a vested interest other than some of my friends have cattle. Yall need to work together and get your views out to the public. Yall are not the mean hateful environmental damaging monsters you are made out to be.
Maybe you dont see the threat I do since the animal rights people are sticking close to the cities. Went to Winston-Salem and I saw a billboard had a ham sandwitch on it and in BOLD print it said

KIDS your parents are abusing you by feeding you meat. Cows,pigs,sheep have feelings STOP the abuse.

I promote beef everytime I buy it. I like it and I don't have to have a whole lot of ladies to tell me to buy it, although when I am at Costco or Sams it sure is nice to have the samples (They don't do beef samples enough!!!).

The little recipes with a good picture on a certain cut of meat that is out on the cooler shelf have always appealed to me although I know how to cut almost all pieces---from the head to the tail---to my liking. It gives the impulse buyer an idea for a good supper.

It was real nice those ladies were out promoting beef, but a little smoke coming out of my or someone else's BBQ pit will bring my misquito like senses to the source.

The best promoter of beef is and should be your family or friends enjoying a good meal. I have cooked and shared many. It is unbeatable.

The benefit of these ladies to come out and spend their time at the booth should not be used to divide the beef industry producers. They represent where it all starts---at home with a good cook and a good piece of meat. I hope they and all the other ladies in our lives that have cooked a good meal of beef are not relegated to a divisive tool. It demeans them.

Kudos to all the ladies (and men) who have cooked and shared a good meal of beef with/for someone else. Kudos to all those who seek to keep the beef industry strong---through promotion or through leadership in the issues of production and keeping the markets free and fair.

Econ101 said:
I promote beef everytime I buy it. I like it and I don't have to have a whole lot of ladies to tell me to buy it, although when I am at Costco or Sams it sure is nice to have the samples (They don't do beef samples enough!!!).

The little recipes with a good picture on a certain cut of meat that is out on the cooler shelf have always appealed to me although I know how to cut almost all pieces---from the head to the tail---to my liking. It gives the impulse buyer an idea for a good supper.

It was real nice those ladies were out promoting beef, but a little smoke coming out of my or someone else's BBQ pit will bring my misquito like senses to the source.

The best promoter of beef is and should be your family or friends enjoying a good meal. I have cooked and shared many. It is unbeatable.

The benefit of these ladies to come out and spend their time at the booth should not be used to divide the beef industry producers. They represent where it all starts---at home with a good cook and a good piece of meat. I hope they and all the other ladies in our lives that have cooked a good meal of beef are not relegated to a divisive tool. It demeans them.

Kudos to all the ladies (and men) who have cooked and shared a good meal of beef with/for someone else. Kudos to all those who seek to keep the beef industry strong---through promotion or through leadership in the issues of production and keeping the markets free and fair.

Econ, to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you do not know that the State Beef Councils, CBB and other Beef Checkoff activities have NEVER been "a divisive tool used to divide the beef industry producers", being non-partisan and working within the rules of the checkoff law. The ONLY thing they do is promote beef, research, & education, as allowed in the checkoff law.

It is fine and dandy for cattle producers and others to be "the best promoters of beef", yet many consumers want the facts on nutrient content of beef, how it fits into a healthy diet, and even something about the ranch on which it was produced, including type of feed, treatment of the animal in a humane way and more! Most cattle producers do not have factual information at hand, so it is helpful that they can simply contact www.beef.usa or www.beef.org to get correct, up to date nutrient info if they are asked for it.

And that is only a very small part of what the Beef Checkoff does for us.

MRJ

It is fine and dandy for cattle producers and others to be "the best promoters of beef", yet many consumers want the facts on nutrient content of beef, how it fits into a healthy diet, and even something about the ranch on which it was produced,

How could you tell them about the ranch it was produced on, when you can't even tell them WHAT COUNTRY it was produced in?[/b]

MRJ said:
Econ101 said:

Econ, to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you do not know that the State Beef Councils, CBB and other Beef Checkoff activities have NEVER been "a divisive tool used to divide the beef industry producers", being non-partisan and working within the rules of the checkoff law. The ONLY thing they do is promote beef, research, & education, as allowed in the checkoff law.

It is fine and dandy for cattle producers and others to be "the best promoters of beef", yet many consumers want the facts on nutrient content of beef, how it fits into a healthy diet, and even something about the ranch on which it was produced, including type of feed, treatment of the animal in a humane way and more! Most cattle producers do not have factual information at hand, so it is helpful that they can simply contact www.beef.usa or www.beef.org to get correct, up to date nutrient info if they are asked for it.

MRJ

That sounds good, MRJ, but it still sounds like free advertising for packers to me. If you could get the packers out of competing meats and you could assure that any increase in beef demand went all to the producers you might have a winner (things changed in the middle of the game, didn't they?).

The fact is that poultry has been replacing beef. It has been getting cheaper in relation to beef with more margin for Tyson than beef when prices get high. Much of the cost of poultry gettting cheaper has to do with the market frauds that GIPSA has allowed them to get away with in the industry on producers. If you want to make sure it doesn't keep happening, get behind the enforcement of the PSA that is currently being called for and the price of poultry may go up. If the price of poultry goes up, all other things held constant, the price of beef will go up (actually an increase in quantity demanded for beef will go up).

The NCBA should be able to recognize this. They are too slow or too into the packers to have real policies that counter this. The fact is that even with checkoff dollars, beef has lost to poultry.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:
Econ101 said:

MRJ

That sounds good, MRJ, but it still sounds like free advertising for packers to me. If you could get the packers out of competing meats and you could assure that any increase in beef demand went all to the producers you might have a winner (things changed in the middle of the game, didn't they?).

The fact is that poultry has been replacing beef. It has been getting cheaper in relation to beef with more margin for Tyson than beef when prices get high. Much of the cost of poultry gettting cheaper has to do with the market frauds that GIPSA has allowed them to get away with in the industry on producers. If you want to make sure it doesn't keep happening, get behind the enforcement of the PSA that is currently being called for and the price of poultry may go up. If the price of poultry goes up, all other things held constant, the price of beef will go up (actually an increase in quantity demanded for beef will go up).

The NCBA should be able to recognize this. They are too slow or too into the packers to have real policies that counter this. The fact is that even with checkoff dollars, beef has lost to poultry.

If a retailer sells a great BEEF steak to a customer and that customer comes back and wants more, where will that beef come from the packer or the producer?

You seem to forget that the packer is a MIDDLE man not the source. If demand for Beef falls it is more important for the cattle producers to promote it than it is the packer as we are the only true source of beef.

If beef demand stays high prices stay high. If those ladies that stand in those booths convince customers to try a new cut of beef than that is more sales for beef that will be have to be replaced by the only true source of beef the PRODUCER.

If we are not out promoting our product to the public then we have only ourselves to blame if Chicken and Pork take our market share. The PACKERS are the MIDDLEMEN THEY OR NOT THE COMPETITION OR SOURCE. BEEF is a product that comes from ONE source CATTLE and we sell Cattle.

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

If a retailer sells a great BEEF steak to a customer and that customer comes back and wants more, where will that beef come from the packer or the producer?

You seem to forget that the packer is a MIDDLE man not the source. If demand for Beef falls it is more important for the cattle producers to promote it than it is the packer as we are the only true source of beef.

If beef demand stays high prices stay high. If those ladies that stand in those booths convince customers to try a new cut of beef than that is more sales for beef that will be have to be replaced by the only true source of beef the PRODUCER.

If we are not out promoting our product to the public then we have only ourselves to blame if Chicken and Pork take our market share. The PACKERS are the MIDDLEMEN THEY OR NOT THE COMPETITION OR SOURCE. BEEF is a product that comes from ONE source CATTLE and we sell Cattle.

Tam, the efforts so far of increasing demand over competing meats has not panned out. When something fails, you have got to look at the problems and fix them. Your problem is that you always fall to the packer line and do nothing to change the scene so it gets repeated. Bring some results to the table instead of NOTHING. You can't do it because you just don't know enough about the competition---poultry or pork. You can't because you can not recognize that Tyson knows the answers and has masterfully pocketed profits at producer expense and thwarted attempts to regulate them. Keep on doing the same ole and you will get the same ole results. Kudos to the women manning the beef booth may be enough to encourage them but it isn't enough to change the situation. You don't even realize this because you are such a pb.

Econ, your claimed knowledge of the cattle/beef industry has failed you once again.

The fact is, between our Beef Checkoff activities and other cattle/beef industry efforts, Beef Demand increased 20% since 1998 which resulted in calf prices around $140/cwt (did anyone tell you what "cwt" means yet?), up from $90/cwt since '98.

There are continuing and changing updated plans to carry this forward for next five years with a goal of increasing Beef Demand an additional ten percent by 2010. Certainly, if we can raise it faster than that, we will be happy to accept that our plans work better than we had hoped!

We still produce too much fat, and there are quality problems in cattle that need improvement. Cattle producers willing to assess what they have and learn to produce beef the consumer wants will benefit from those plans. Those who simply choose to blame and whine abouy other segments of our industry may be left at the bottom of the commodity market.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Econ, your claimed knowledge of the cattle/beef industry has failed you once again.

The fact is, between our Beef Checkoff activities and other cattle/beef industry efforts, Beef Demand increased 20% since 1998 which resulted in calf prices around $140/cwt (did anyone tell you what "cwt" means yet?), up from $90/cwt since '98.

There are continuing and changing updated plans to carry this forward for next five years with a goal of increasing Beef Demand an additional ten percent by 2010. Certainly, if we can raise it faster than that, we will be happy to accept that our plans work better than we had hoped!

We still produce too much fat, and there are quality problems in cattle that need improvement. Cattle producers willing to assess what they have and learn to produce beef the consumer wants will benefit from those plans. Those who simply choose to blame and whine abouy other segments of our industry may be left at the bottom of the commodity market.

MRJ

MRJ, the question of demand is not one you have enough intelligence to talk about. You don't even understand the points in the arguments I was having with Agman.

As for your little cwt question that Jason originally brought up, it is a kindergarten or a preschool question. As much as I have talked to you about your maturity of the discussion, you still don't get it. You want to hang on to thosse little questions because you have nothing else to offer except some BS that NCBA puts out. You can't think for yourself but you will be glad to speak out on behalf of the packers anytime.

You and Tam are truely amazing. It is like getting a cow stuck in a mudhole, calling all your neighbors over to help pull her out and you two are pushing her back in! You think you are helping with getting the cow out of the mud but you are just counterproductive. That is one of the reasons Tyson or any other big company NEVER has to worry about market power when it comes to a bunch of farmers. There are just too many dumb ones like you around to get anything done.

The reason that cattle prices have gone up has had nothing with a change in demand. It has everything to do with a decrease in supply. Agman's own numbers proved me right on that. He was too scared to bring up his demand numbers to take the point further.

This industry doesn't produce too much fat cattle. The market forces determine what is wanted and it is by price signals that come from packers. If it didn't pay to put fat on cattle, it wouldn't be done. I happen to like, and will pay for, a higher grade animal because I happen to know the difference. There are a lot of other people out there like me and that is what we call the "market". Tyson messed with that in the Pickett example to lower the cattle market so they could depress supply and in your idiotic reasoning "increase demand". They just made a bundle off of it in the poultry business. You can see it in their books.

Those who simply choose to be ignorant about other segments of the proteins industry may be left at the bottom of the profitability market.

Econ101 said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

MRJ, the question of demand is not one you have enough intelligence to talk about. You don't even understand the points in the arguments I was having with Agman.

As for your little cwt question that Jason originally brought up, it is a kindergarten or a preschool question. As much as I have talked to you about your maturity of the discussion, you still don't get it. You want to hang on to thosse little questions because you have nothing else to offer except some BS that NCBA puts out. You can't think for yourself but you will be glad to speak out on behalf of the packers anytime.

You and Tam are truely amazing. It is like getting a cow stuck in a mudhole, calling all your neighbors over to help pull her out and you two are pushing her back in! You think you are helping with getting the cow out of the mud but you are just counterproductive. That is one of the reasons Tyson or any other big company NEVER has to worry about market power when it comes to a bunch of farmers. There are just too many dumb ones like you around to get anything done.

The reason that cattle prices have gone up has had nothing with a change in demand. It has everything to do with a decrease in supply. Agman's own numbers proved me right on that. He was too scared to bring up his demand numbers to take the point further.

This industry doesn't produce too much fat cattle. The market forces determine what is wanted and it is by price signals that come from packers. If it didn't pay to put fat on cattle, it wouldn't be done. I happen to like, and will pay for, a higher grade animal because I happen to know the difference. There are a lot of other people out there like me and that is what we call the "market". Tyson messed with that in the Pickett example to lower the cattle market so they could depress supply and in your idiotic reasoning "increase demand". They just made a bundle off of it in the poultry business. You can see it in their books.

Those who simply choose to be ignorant about other segments of the proteins industry may be left at the bottom of the profitability market.

Psst Conman, you seem to constantly overlook, because of your lack of any real knowledge of the demand issue and bias those years when beef production increased and prices were higher. Are you really so foolish and arrogant as to think you can continue to fool most readers on this forum with your senseless verbiage and unsupported claims.

How hypocritical of you to now state.... "Those who simply choose to be ignorant about other segments of the proteins industry may be left at the bottom of the profitability market." What do you really know about the other protein segments? What is it called when beef, pork and chicken supplies increase and prices are all higher. In the study of Economics it is called "rising demand". In fact, it is the classic example of rising demand,more product consumed at higher prices. Unfortunately you know so little regarding the beef and meat protein industry you fail to recognize and acknowledge that these periods exist. So much for your self-indulging intellect versus real knowledge. You just keep striking out; you are too easy.

Agman, if you want to argue this econometrically, you will have to post your numbers on demand. You know what the problem is. You are intentionally misleading in your analysis and will not even provide your methodology so it can be pointed out.

cowzilla said:
Tyson Foods must have Burned you something bad Econ 101 Time to move on before it consumes you. :?

Cowzilla, you better start worrying about it now and do something about it or you will be just like the poultry farmers, all of the producer surplus will be expropriated to the packers. If you don't want there to be any real profits for producers in this industry, go ahead, ignore what is happening. It is to your and other producer's detriment.

Latest posts