• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Public lands rancher no more

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
my forest permit got sold a week ago, watched the outfit iunload on the state highway and pair up 5 semi loads in the lane to the forest yesterday. it a heavy cloud burst too.

Jody, Was it your choice to opt out of a permit? I know several "old time" ranchers in my area that have done that. They were just tired of the time and hassle of running cattle on "our lands". For anyone that thinks that it is cheap grazing. It doesn't take a sharp pencil to figure out that private grass at $20/month is loads cheaper than the what the government charges.

jeff in ca said:
Jody, Was it your choice to opt out of a permit? I know several "old time" ranchers in my area that have done that. They were just tired of the time and hassle of running cattle on "our lands". For anyone that thinks that it is cheap grazing. It doesn't take a sharp pencil to figure out that private grass at $20/month is loads cheaper than the what the government charges.

It was just out the gate, the Forest Service wasn't so bad as was the other permittees. Fight and not get along, talk of lawyers. Just wasn't fun anymore. They spent 4 day 6 guys fixing fence, just getting the fences fixed so they could turn out. Guess there trouble all ready with some spring boxes, I did tell the hired cow herder a few tricks for them.
My cow herd numbers are down I can graze them at home and still put up enough hay to winter them and my ewes.

Latest posts