• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pumpjack

Help Support Ranchers.net:

porkchop

Reaction score
Could any of you out west where windmills are popular hook me up with a reputable website or on line retailer of good old american made pump jacks for 250 foot drilled well. Ponds are going dry and I would like to set an old briggs 5 horse on a pump jack where A/C is not fesiable. E-trade not reqired I will gladly deal w/ brick and morter if they take a credit card and have a phone number. Thank you in advance!

Have you thought of a sub & a gen cost about the same and you will have a gen for other things.

I have an old pumpjack, but if the well that I use it on was cased, I would never use it!!! I hate the stupid thing. Runs just long enough for me to get out of the pasture. If I could, I would drop a submersible under the cylinder, and run a generator!! But my well is only a 2 1/2 inch pipe coming out of the ground, then it has a Eureka cylinder inside of that. Guess which well needs work today?

dempster makes good pump jacks, have never had problems with the 2 i have, just made new sticks is all i have had to do. But with the cost of a new one you can buy a cheap generator and a submersible pump for less.

We have a pumpjack and I hate the thing. Like most people have said, it is difficult to keep them running. We have a submersible on a rubber hose that we drop down the well if we need it and most of the time the pumpjack stays in the shed.

I don't like pumpjacks either seems they never last very long. depends on the kind of a well you have. I would go with a submersible. For a small well there is a small diameter submersible I believe it is a Grampas, its reasonable priced. I have never did it but some around here are putting a submersible below the cylinder on a windmill pumped well. I believe there is a valve that can be put between the submersible and the cylinder, so that when using the windmill, water doesn't need to be drawn through the submersible pump.

Clarencen said:
I don't like pumpjacks either seems they never last very long. depends on the kind of a well you have. I would go with a submersible. For a small well there is a small diameter submersible I believe it is a Grampas, its reasonable priced. I have never did it but some around here are putting a submersible below the cylinder on a windmill pumped well. I believe there is a valve that can be put between the submersible and the cylinder, so that when using the windmill, water doesn't need to be drawn through the submersible pump.

Welker Manufacturing In Kilgore makes those valves. We don't have any here either, but if I have my way, they will all have them!!!!

LazyWP said:
Clarencen said:

Welker Manufacturing In Kilgore makes those valves. We don't have any here either, but if I have my way, they will all have them!!!!

I think the pump would be a Grundfos :)

LazyWP said:
I have an old pumpjack, but if the well that I use it on was cased, I would never use it!!! I hate the stupid thing. Runs just long enough for me to get out of the pasture. If I could, I would drop a submersible under the cylinder, and run a generator!! But my well is only a 2 1/2 inch pipe coming out of the ground, then it has a Eureka cylinder inside of that. Guess which well needs work today?

I use 4hp Honda engines on my pumpjacks when the wind doesn't blow enough for the windmills to keep up. I use a bigger fuel tank, about 12 gallons so they run 24hrs a day using about 2 gallons a day. Way more reliable than the old Briggs. I have let them run for 4 days strait without looking at them, just changed oil added more gas and good for 4 more days. I have both Duplex and Monitor jacks. One of the Duplex is over 60 years old and still works good.

I use 4hp Honda engines on my pumpjacks when the wind doesn't blow enough for the windmills to keep up. I use a bigger fuel tank, about 12 gallons so they run 24hrs a day using about 2 gallons a day. Way more reliable than the old Briggs. I have let them run for 4 days strait without looking at them, just changed oil added more gas and good for 4 more days. I have both Duplex and Monitor jacks. One of the Duplex is over 60 years old and still works good.

My problem is I don't use them enough. The gas tank gets rusty, and I still only have the 3 quart one on it.
I'm not sure what brand mine is, but I can man handle the pumpjack, motor and all by myself.

cylinder-animation.gif

good luck

Yep, thats how they work. One time I was asked to explain to some people from the east how the pump hooked to the windmill worked. It was hard for them to see that after the lower check valve closes the valve in the plunger opens and as it lowers the water between the two valves is forced above the plunger and lifted, allowing a vaccume so more water can enter above the lower check again, to be ready for the next stroke.

Latest posts