• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pure Country Update #3 - New Enterprise

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Kinda new enterprise. We've always custom grazed 50-120 head every year, and it's always been about the easiest money made per acre on our place. Works for us because all our land is in a block so there's no trucking or trailing very far.

Our direct marketing has not expanded as we hoped it would, so in order to keep floating this busy boat, this year we took on 400 yearlings to graze for a local feedlot operator. They are spayed heifers, although they missed a few because there's been plenty of riding going on. I'm mob grazing them with daily moves, and so far it's going really good.

Heifers waiting to be moved, you can see the polywire and step-in posts on the left.
1340025338339.jpg

Once I have the next wire in place, it's a green light
1340202947212.jpg

Once the heifers are moving into the new strip and I've rolled up all of the first wire, I move the mineral tub onto a new patch of weeds.
1340204966402.jpg

When they're done with it, in 24 hours, it looks like this
1340204374298.jpg

Tried to upload some more but I guess I'm past my daily allowance. Ah well, should get back outside and move pigs again anyway. :lol:

Thank you for getting us updated and caught up! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you never stay away again! :D I am really interested in how ya'll do stuff. It is sure fun to see those highland cattle and watch your mob grazing operation. I loved the mineral tub! :lol: Glad you are back! :D

Ditto to what 'H said :) Glad to have you back. Not to be picky, but could you make the pics a tad bigger next time. Thanks!

More pics, Nicky-sized.

Fall Rye did very well this year, especially considering it was seeded in 2010
June_23_Grazing_003.jpg

Heifers lined up and waiting for me to hurry it up.
June_23_Grazing_002.jpg

The first ones coming in behind me as I roll the polywire out of the way.
June_23_Grazing_004.jpg

There's one high-headed wildie in every crowd.
June_23_Grazing_005.jpg
:lol: [/img]

I would have taken 800 head, and they wanted to send them, but we have a water issue here. If I had gotten a well drilled and more water volume in place, I would gladly have taken more animals, and earlier in May to knock this stuff back. As it stands, alot of it is getting trampled because they won't eat it being so coarse.

It is what it is. Surprisingly enough, the first quarter of it they grazed down, has 4" of regrowth on it already. I wasn't sure if it would come back again, but it is, so we may get a second grazing on it. I'm sure we will get a healthy regrowth of weeds as well, since this is an annual crop field. I'd like to do a second grazing to knock them back as well. That should boost soil litter going into winter, and make for lots of nutrients for next year's crop.

am in the same boat here, not enough cattle, lot's of rain= 7 ft rye. wanted to cut for greenfeed but it keep's raining,almost to the point of having to let it go to maturity and a combine. just like Per told me two month's ago :wink: :wink: just finished finding a calf in it that slipped under the wire,let momma in to go find it and lost momma, half an hour later they both surfaced at the poli-wire looking to go back where they both could be seen :lol: :lol:

hayguy said:
am in the same boat here, not enough cattle, lot's of rain= 7 ft rye. wanted to cut for greenfeed but it keep's raining,almost to the point of having to let it go to maturity and a combine. just like Per told me two month's ago :wink: :wink: just finished finding a calf in it that slipped under the wire,let momma in to go find it and lost momma, half an hour later they both surfaced at the poli-wire looking to go back where they both could be seen :lol: :lol:

Your close enough to the city you could cut a maze into the rye and sell admission. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:

Your close enough to the city you could cut a maze into the rye and sell admission. :wink: :lol: :lol:

no doubt but that would involve having to deal with people :lol: :lol:

PC - Things look OK. They are talking showers tonight and 30-40 mm for Tuesday, so you may get a second or third grazing off your rye yet.
We are just finishing up the swath grazing today. I had some meetings and track and field at the school this afternoon so Dad is running the drill. He stops for me to pail it full. I hope we don't have too many more loads to go. At 3 bushels of seed per acre, even a quarter is a lot of pails...

Latest posts