• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PureCountry

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Purecountry-- Now that is one of the ugliest cows I have ever seen :wink: :lol: --When I saw it in the photo gallery I thought it was a sheep dog :wink: :lol: :p

I hope you don't tell me thats one of ol Kaisers purebred welshs :wink: :lol: :p

Looks like a good old momma tho- and thats all that counts...

Darla_Nursing.JPG

Hey now, that's one of my $50 Highlands. You callin' her ugly is straight-up fightin' words! :lol: :lol: She's the first of them to calve. They were bred Hereford, as you can see from these pics.

Oh, and Oldtimer, her name's Darla, not Ugly. :wink:
Darla_Baby.JPG

Darla.JPG

And while we're posting our best Beauties.....Buttercup the Super-Milk Cow, due in a couple weeks. Can't wait to have that cream!
Buttercup.JPG

I'll post some more in another thread.

Very interesting pair there PC,would'nt of believed it ,if i had'nt seen it myself.Looks like a good old milker there to!There's a guy between here and Reno,Nevada with a herd of Highland.There a pretty hardy animal from what i understand.Thanks for sharing the pics.

Well Darla definitely emotes "character" :wink: :lol: :p Well worth $50...Is the calf a heifer? I wonder what the calf would look like if allowed to mature :???:

Yes it's a heifer calf - thank goodness. At least if they're all heifers, I can keep them. If they come out bulls, I have to explain to the kids why we band them, fatten them, butcher them, and all that stuff that usually elicits tears from farm kids.

Nicky the calf is pretty fuzzy right now. If you've ever seen a Husky or Malamute puppy, it's that fleecy, downy kind of fuzz. As she matures though, it will get longer. Those guard hairs come out with age.

What are they like to calve out? those horns look like they could do some serious damage!

I wouldn't know. She calved on her own, and I have no need to touch the calf. A commercial calf of that sort doesn't need a tag or weight. When we round up and vaccinate, they'll get their shot, and any of them that come out bulls will get a band at that time. All of them are pretty darn quiet though. Folks that owned them before must have spent some time with them. I don't think she'd bother me if I did grab her calf and tag it.

This is one of my Moms milkcows. Her name is Annabell and she is used as a nurse cow to raise some extra calves my folks buy.

100_2074.jpg

CattleArmy said:
This is one of my Moms milkcows. Her name is Annabell and she is used as a nurse cow to raise some extra calves my folks buy.

100_2074.jpg

Nice nurse cow. One of the best bags I have seen on a 'stein.

I could something that could get me in trouble altho many of you would agree with me. So I will prove that I can keep my fingers under control and leave it at that. :wink:

PureCountry: Since OT started this thread directed at you, hopefully he won't mind if I ask you a ? since you have Galloways as well (if anybody else knows about this pedigree please chime in)

Got a fullblood Galloway.......... Sire: Badger El Toro 400 by Hang 5 191 and Hang 5 Raven 20G
His dam is: Hang 5 Corinna 26H by Bar R Bandit and GRNO Eternity 242E.

have you ever heard of these bloodlines......... I did a search on Hang 5 and couldn't find anything.

He was raised by Badger Creek Ranch in Colorado.

Thanks.

Hangin' 5 I believe would be Sarah Bowman from Montana. I've spoken with her over e-mails a few times and she has some exceptional cattle - grass cattle. She's sent me lots of pics, and unfortunately I haven't bought anything yet. I just have a feeling though that I should inject some of her genetics into what we're doing.

MoGal said:
PureCountry:

Got a fullblood Galloway.......... Sire: Badger El Toro 400 by Hang 5 191 and Hang 5 Raven 20G
His dam is: Hang 5 Corinna 26H by Bar R Bandit and GRNO Eternity 242E.

have you ever heard of these bloodlines......... I did a search on Hang 5 and couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

MoGal... PureCountry is correct: the Hang 5 genetics are made for grass. Low frame score, lots of meat. They're raised at altitude and walk up and down mountainsides all day long. We've AI'd with a couple of the old Certified Meat Sire sons. On our website we have pictured a H5 Lidey's Dream 41K son. That would be Nomad's Dreamer. We also ai'd with H5 Top Gain 72K and have several 72K daughters. At the top of the same page is a bull named Marshwood Gant, purchased as a calf because he was a 72K son out of a 41K daughter. Nomad was a frame 4, Gant is a 3. (He's 2 years in the photo.) All of our stuff is completely forage raised.

Sarah also had a couple years worth of carcass data from when the calves were sent to feedlot. Not sure if those same genetics are still in her program, but the carcass data then was excellent. http://www.renfarms.com/breedingstock.php will take you right to the pix if interested. (I need to figure out how to post a picture right to the forum i guess)

Thank you both very much.... hubby was talking about selling him this year but I asked him to wait......... he's a great heifer bull and is homozygous black.......... and yes, he's eash fleshing and stays fat even in the hot dry weather.

I want to hold onto him for another year, he'll be 4 in June, but is definitely a 5 frame bull.

or rather I should say I think he's 5 frame, but I guess I need to measure him in the chute next time. has worked out well for the hubby's angus/holstein x and we're gonna see how simx and charx does with him in the next month or two.

We have a nice heifer out of a holstein cow and him, I'm thinking about calling her cabby (named for CAB, lol) .

:D Wow!! Thanks Judy and Darcy for your comments.

Yes MoGal your bull would be a rather large frame fellow. I would expert very long bodied as well. He is from my program before I started down the Certified Meat Sire grass finishing road. I am very glad to hear that he is good on heifers. My herd has always required this trait, as they calve on the mountain face unattended along side the elk.

A side note the 242E cow happens to be 72K's Dam (the one Judy speaks of in her post)

Also I live in Wyoming although if you had a good arm you could throw a rock into Montana.

Latest posts