• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question about feed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I would consider feed getting wet the perils of a self feeder, not the feed. For 15 bucks a hundred it is worth a shot, maybe it won't work out but why give up without trying.

It may not be that high but that is what the 2 mills in town charge. We aren't in the corn belt and freight is factored in as well.

For whole corn? Thats 2.30 a bushel over chicago board of trade. You must be a long ways from any corn field.

Cash Price here at the elevator is 7.85. Of course you won't buy it for that unless you get lucky and get some from a farmer out of the field. The elevator will put a in and out charge. If you grind it it will be more.
somehow feed has a tendency to all hit a happy medium and stabilize at a certain level. Not that buying corn at 8.00 is happy.

I think i would be inclined to use WHOLE corn to feed those calves. It can be fed on the ground if frozen or bunks. I think they could also be self fed but I'm not a fan of doing it. I think the interaction every day settle the calves as well gives you a chance to catch any health problems quicker.

Larrry said:
Cash Price here at the elevator is 7.85. Of course you won't buy it for that unless you get lucky and get some from a farmer out of the field. The elevator will put a in and out charge. If you grind it it will be more.
somehow feed has a tendency to all hit a happy medium and stabilize at a certain level. Not that buying corn at 8.00 is happy.

Where is that because here at 3 local elavators and the ethanol plant it's $6.92 before any docking .

Whole corn here is $19.00 a hundred. Must be nice to have abundant corn close by to get it as cheap as some of ya'll do. :? My custom home built feeder ration is 650lbs corn, 500lbs barley, 650lbs oats, 200lbs distillers, beet pulp, mineral and a tiny bit of dried molasses per ton. It costs me $28 a hundred or $560 a ton. Calves gain great and havent had bloat issues. I dont feed free choice though and work them up to 12 pounds per day. I feed free choice oat hay and some alfalfa as well. My steer are on grain for the last 45 days prior to slaughter.

http://www.unitedplainsag.com/index.cfm?show=8&cat=4

Take the current price and since at the moment they have a +.40 cent basis add the forty for current cash price

Big Muddy rancher said:
I think i would be inclined to use WHOLE corn to feed those calves. It can be fed on the ground if frozen or bunks. I think they could also be self fed but I'm not a fan of doing it. I think the interaction every day settle the calves as well gives you a chance to catch any health problems quicker.

:agree:
The only thing that might be better would be cracked corn.
It takes a bit to get the calves going on whole corn as it hasn't got much smell, but there are flavor enhancers out there that can be used at first to
attract them to the corn.

Big Muddy rancher wrote:

I do check all the cattle everyday. Corn is 18.30 a hundred here. I just had'nt heard of any one useing this type of stuff for beef calves. they told me that they sell alot to dairy farmers around here.

How much does nutritional value does an animal get from whole corn? When i put my heifers out on stalks the corn looks the same in the manure that it does before they eat it. I always thought it was better to crack it

3 M L & C said:
How much does nutritional value does an animal get from whole corn? When i put my heifers out on stalks the corn looks the same in the manure that it does before they eat it. I always thought it was better to crack it

If you really inspect whole corn, you will see a little hole where the nutrients were digested. Basically what you see is a 'corn shell' if you will.
Cracked corn does work better in the fact that it is easier to get them to
use it and they may utilize it a bit better. It would have to be nearly the
same price as whole corn to make it feasible to buy, wouldn't it? I know
Mr. FH likes cracked corn better, but we could never find any. We quit
feeding anything but hay and mineral to our heifer calves a long time ago.

I dont dought that they utilize whole corn but i think cracking it does more than you give credit for. Where i live there are quite a few feedlots and i have hauled corn to several of them and none of them feed whole corn, if they do its just a sprinkle. They either grind it as high moisture or crack it dry or flake it dry. Also i dont feed my heifers corn they pick it up off the ground. I guess i feed it to them but not how you think

Its crazy how different places are. Some people pay over 2 dollars over basis We put most our corn in the bin and haul it out in March and we are lucky to get 5 cents a bu over basis. Most years the elevators are 60 to 75 cents under on basis.

3 M L & C said:
Its crazy how different places are. Some people pay over 2 dollars over basis We put most our corn in the bin and haul it out in March and we are lucky to get 5 cents a bu over basis. Most years the elevators are 60 to 75 cents under on basis.
same thing here with feed barley

Latest posts