• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for COOLIES.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchero

Reaction score
I just want to ask all you pro-COOLies what do you think COOL is doing to the price of their cattle. I say it is going down, right along with Mexican and Canadian cattle prices. 600 lb feeder steers are selling for .60/lb on the Mexican border this past week. The order buyers say the prices are due to COOL. Doesn't common sense tell you if they can fill their orders for feeder cattle with cheap Mexican and Canadian cattle they will and are. We don't want to sell our cattle at these prices, but we have no other choice but to sell. What would you do if your cattle were ready to sell and the bottom falls out of the market? You sell and lick your wounds and hope for better days. U.S. feeder cattle prices are being dragged down the drain right along with ours. I hope you bone heads are enjoying the poor market right along with the rest of us. The only ones profiting from this is the packers. HaHa HoHo HiHi

I don't think COOL has a damn thing to do with the low prices we're seeing today. Buying cheap foreign feeders was the jig BEFORE COOL. If they're buying them up as you claim, wouldn't that increase prices?

Ranchero said:
You really are as dumb as you write Sandbagger!

Explain how there can be such a demand for foreign feeders, but the prices are falling.

Explain where all of these costs come from.

Have you ever been to Wal-mart when they have their blue light sale? Same thing here, the cattle have to be sold because that's how us ranchers make our money every year. We sell our calves because we have to. If the price is good we make a little money if the price is bad we don't, but we still have to sell. It's the same in the U.S. I didn't say their was such a demand, I said the imported cattle prices are very low and the order buyers are buying them at blue light sale prices. The sale prices will and are carrying over into the U.S. cattle prices. You will feel our pain too. Do you hear me now Sandbagger.

Ranchero said:
Have you ever been to Wal-mart when they have their blue light sale? Same thing here, the cattle have to be sold because that's how us ranchers make our money every year. We sell our calves because we have to. If the price is good we make a little money if the price is bad we don't, but we still have to sell. It's the same in the U.S. I didn't say their was such a demand, I said the imported cattle prices are very low and the order buyers are buying them at blue light sale prices. The sale prices will and are carrying over into the U.S. cattle prices. You will feel our pain too. Do you hear me now Sandbagger.

So where all all these costs coming from?

It's easier to make a 2 year old understand than you Sandbagger. I never said anything about costs. This conversation is done with you. Deedadee. :roll:

Ranchero said:
It's easier to make a 2 year old understand than you Sandbagger. I never said anything about costs. This conversation is done with you. Deedadee. :roll:

One of the excuses I heard why COOL was supposedly lowering prices was supposed to be the costs. You say COOL is lowering prices, I'm asking how?

Ranchero said:
I just want to ask all you pro-COOLies what do you think COOL is doing to the price of their cattle. I say it is going down, right along with Mexican and Canadian cattle prices. 600 lb feeder steers are selling for .60/lb on the Mexican border this past week. The order buyers say the prices are due to COOL.
Doesn't common sense tell you if they can fill their orders for feeder cattle with cheap Mexican and Canadian cattle they will and are.
We don't want to sell our cattle at these prices, but we have no other choice but to sell. What would you do if your cattle were ready to sell and the bottom falls out of the market? You sell and lick your wounds and hope for better days. U.S. feeder cattle prices are being dragged down the drain right along with ours. I hope you bone heads are enjoying the poor market right along with the rest of us. The only ones profiting from this is the packers. HaHa HoHo HiHi

You forget ............there has to be a demand for those meskin feeders,you just dont seem to understand,folks want good food,and they want to know the orgin.............dont come on ranchers.net raisin hell with us because mexico is well known to be diseased and inferior,yall still use pesticides and chemicals that have been banned in the states for years.
truth be know you water your crops and cattle with sewer water.
good luck

Ranchero said:
600 lb feeder steers are selling for .60/lb on the Mexican border this past week.

Ranchero, I'm just wondering how much per pound you think COOL is taking out of your pocket. I sold my steers the first week of December, for probably the same reason you sold yours, my banker needed a paycheck.:wink:

My 600 lb steers brought $.90/lb.
Mexican 600 lb steers are selling for $0.60/lb

That's a difference of $.30/lb

I'm willing to guess that is just about the same price difference you experienced last year. My 6 weight steers brought $1.20/lb last year. How does that compare to your prices a year ago, before COOL?

Last year 600 lb mexican steers sold for 1.20/lb. So I think you can see todays price is a 50% discount after COOL went into affect. As for Haywipes comment about diseased cattle. He ought to look at his own state of Texas record of having inferior diseased cattle including the U.S. first case of Mad Cow disease in the U.S. Why don't you keep your own dirty little Texican bag of pig **** mouth shut.

Sandhusker said:
Explain how there can be such a demand for foreign feeders, but the prices are falling.

Sandhusker, you need crack on your radio and listen to some pricing.

Right now is historically a higher time for both feeder and fed prices, yet prices are DROPPING on both sides of the border.

On the Canadian side, the Canadian dollar has dropped into the 70 cent range, feed barley has dropped in HALF what it was 3 months ago, and beef demand is steady. Yet my prices slid ANOTHER 10 cents/lb this week, and they'll probably slide another dime yet, according to the buyer I was talking to.

Now explain why Sandhusker.

I know why: COOL. Its the ONLY difference between last year and this year. Thats both my opinion and knowledgeable livestock analysts who do this kind of thing for a living. Personally, I'll believe them long before I believe R-Quack.

Whether the costs associated with COOL are real or not, Sandhusker, the packers are using it as an excuse to lower their bids. Since the North American market is completely captive to essentially three packers, they can do this with relative impunity.

So thank you very much R-Quack and the rest of you MCOOL fools. My calves are now officially worth less than they ever were during BSE, and its your fault.

Rod

We have had country of origin labeling, as well as several welfare marketing schemes, for over ten tears now. The people who are looking for specific local produce will pay the premium prices, which keeps the local prices paid to producers at a level that keeps us in profit. Cheap imports are sold mainly in the cheaper stores and low income people accept the lower quality and lack of tracibility associated with imported produce. The COOL keeps the local prices in line with the extra requirements in terms of welfare, feed contents etc, so that local producers make a profit from their stock or crops, imports are based on prices agreed between the supermarkets and the producers in Europe, South America or Australia/New Zealand. The middle men still make all the profit, but the consumer buys according to either their desire for quality or that which they can afford, and we have guarenteed markets for our produce, at an agreed price.

andybob said:
We have had country of origin labeling, as well as several welfare marketing schemes, for over ten tears now. The people who are looking for specific local produce will pay the premium prices, which keeps the local prices paid to producers at a level that keeps us in profit. Cheap imports are sold mainly in the cheaper stores and low income people accept the lower quality and lack of tracibility associated with imported produce. The COOL keeps the local prices in line with the extra requirements in terms of welfare, feed contents etc, so that local producers make a profit from their stock or crops, imports are based on prices agreed between the supermarkets and the producers in Europe, South America or Australia/New Zealand. The middle men still make all the profit, but the consumer buys according to either their desire for quality or that which they can afford, and we have guarenteed markets for our produce, at an agreed price.

What do you mean by guaranteed market at an agreed price?

We sell to the top priced supermarket, Waitrose, as part of a group of networking farmers. We supply pork and Angus beef marketed under the "freedom foods" logo as the pigs are outdoor, and the cattle grass fed, and proven to be sired by pedigree Aberdeen Angus bulls (All AI) so as to qualify for sale under the Angus beef logo. We are audited by the RSPCA and Waitrose inspectors. In return for the compliance to wefare and quality standards, we negotiate above market prices and premiums with the supermarket chain. We also have a large local butcher supply from us under the same marketing logo, and have an annual farm tour for customers who want to see how their meat is produced. It has proved worthwhile to educate our consumers, they recommend our products to friends and family, knowing the animals are not in confinement conditions as claimes by peta etc.

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sandhusker said:

Sandhusker, you need crack on your radio and listen to some pricing.

Right now is historically a higher time for both feeder and fed prices, yet prices are DROPPING on both sides of the border.

On the Canadian side, the Canadian dollar has dropped into the 70 cent range, feed barley has dropped in HALF what it was 3 months ago, and beef demand is steady. Yet my prices slid ANOTHER 10 cents/lb this week, and they'll probably slide another dime yet, according to the buyer I was talking to.

Now explain why Sandhusker.

I know why: COOL. Its the ONLY difference between last year and this year. Thats both my opinion and knowledgeable livestock analysts who do this kind of thing for a living. Personally, I'll believe them long before I believe R-Quack.

Whether the costs associated with COOL are real or not, Sandhusker, the packers are using it as an excuse to lower their bids. Since the North American market is completely captive to essentially three packers, they can do this with relative impunity.

So thank you very much R-Quack and the rest of you MCOOL fools. My calves are now officially worth less than they ever were during BSE, and its your fault.

Rod

"Whether the costs associated with COOL are real or not" says it all, Rod. Your problem isn't COOL, it's lack of competition among the packers. You can thank NCBA and CCA for that. They're faced with a law that hamstrings their ability to play you against us, so they're just pulling a load of BS to put pressure on the markets to get the law repealed. If they could do it for COOL, they could do it for anything.

Another thing that I don't think you guys are realizing is that COOL is not a law made by just US cattlemen against Canadian product. It's a law that was very popular with all consumers and it's directed at product from every country that we import from.

COOL is the only thing that changed from this year to last? Have you noticed the economy? Banks going belly up, car manufacturers on the verge of bankruptcy, layoffs, etc....? Have you noticed the difference in corn prices from last year to this? $4 last year at this time, $3 today. Oil was in the 90s then, in the 40s now. You're not considering that a RECESSION might have an impact on cattle prices? Come on, man.

The identifying of imported products is not always negative, the Danish brands of pork products, especially bacon, have long been recognised as beng of the highest quality, and compete favourably with the British brands. French, Dutch and Spanish pork all have a poor reputations in terms of qualiy and animal welfare, so are bought and sold as cheap produce.
It seems that the Canadians are beginning to recognise this;
http://www.thebeefsite.com/news/25453/cool-calls-for-promotion-of-canadian-beef-quality

Sandhusker said:
You're not considering that a RECESSION might have an impact on cattle prices? Come on, man.
Rod and Ranchero, the packers are obviously smarter than you two and other blaming lower prices on COOL. The packers know that consumers spend less in a recession. The price of cattle would be down with or without COOL...it's the economy!!!!

andybob, what you say falls mostly on deaf ears. Thanks for sharing though!

Latest posts