• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for the net-wrapped bale unrollers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher said:
I agree, the netwrap is terrible to deal with. The only thing worse than feeding netwrapped rounds is feeding large squares! I am just thankful after 10 inches of rain in September, I had banned large squares...that would have been a big loss in hay.

I feed with a tractor which has a bucket and grapple. Before spearing the bale, I lift it up high, and drop it to break the ice up on the wrap. It helps a lot if you are equipped to do it.
field sanitary napkins :oops:

protein are long stands of amino acids , we just need to find a chemical engineer to make a protein supplement that we could twine wrap or net wrap bales with :!: :???: :roll:

I wonder what sort of damage the missed pieces of netwrap would do to a discbine when it comes time to cut hay where the cows have been fed.
Plastic twine picked up with a discbine takes seals (and then bearings) out fast enough to make your head spin, and is just one more reason we NEVER use the stuff. I have hayed on land where hay was fed with plastic twine and even though they were very careful to pick it up, they didn't manage to get it all.
My experience with netwrap was not a good one, we bought some fescue straw a few years ago and it the wrap froze to the bales. The wrap pulled off these bales reminded me of Dad's old Northwest Mounted Police buffalo coat :?
I like the idea of netwrap, for many of the reasons Soap said, as well it looks like a bale wrapped in this fashion would shed water better and therefore have less waste. I'm waiting for a sisal version :wink:

I have graduated upwards from using t"wine" to netwrap. I will never run twine through my baler again as I did 150 twine for a neighbor this fall and experienced a 40% efficiency decline. I also feel that net is easier to get off bales than twine frozen or not. maybe it is the fact that it never gets above 0 here to create ice on the bales? :twisted: They really shine when using a processor as it is way easier to cut off the flails than twine. I feed on the same ground we seed into sometimes and I never have hunks caught up in the airdrill like with twine. If I have really bad bales I either reserve them for the processor or drop them on hard ground with the loader. I firmly believe in 2.8 wraps on hay and 3.3 on straw. I always have some time in the winter to deal with the odd frozen bale, but who would not want to put up an extra 60-80 bales a day when a shower is moving in? and NEVER have to get under the pickup to rethread twine.

We use net wrap and would never go back to twine. It has been fed in a bale processor since we started using net wrap. This processor has a door on it and the guys wait quite a while before they deal with the net wrap. Then where it is wrapped around the drum, they take a cutting torch and go down along the net wrap and burn it. Of course they have some water handy. :?

We just started using JD net wrap and though it costs more, it seems to cause less problems. Mr. FH hated stopping and waiting for the twine to tie.

If you are selling hay, as we are, the truckers would much rather haul net wrapped bales.

John Deere came out with a new net called B-wrap that's supposed to last longer than the regular net. The bottom of bales that spoil even with net and string won't spoil with this new wrap and sheds water better off the bales. Also should last 2-3 years longer. Cost more per roll and will do 40 less bales than the regular wrap. Plus if you don't have a 2014 JD baler you need a kit to make it work, which runs about $2500. So not sure it would be worth it. :roll:

Faster horses said:
If you are selling hay, as we are, the truckers would much rather haul net wrapped bales.

Yes, I would think If I were selling hay of hauling hay netwrap would be a must. Still not convinced for my own use.
Still wondering if anyone has picked up pieces of it with a discbine and what the outcome was.

Silver said:
Faster horses said:

Yes, I would think If I were selling hay of hauling hay netwrap would be a must. Still not convinced for my own use.
Still wondering if anyone has picked up pieces of it with a discbine and what the outcome was.

I'll stick with sisal also.When your baler only cost $500 plus $2000 for a new chain net wrap is'nt an option and in a 1 or 2 man show you won't have over 150 bales worth of hay down at a time in my conditions.I find with a low debt load speed is'nt near as important.

My discbine has a flail conditioner I bet it would wrap up nicely on that. :wink:

tenbach79 said:
John Deere came out with a new net called B-wrap that's supposed to last longer than the regular net. The bottom of bales that spoil even with net and string won't spoil with this new wrap and sheds water better off the bales. Also should last 2-3 years longer. Cost more per roll and will do 40 less bales than the regular wrap. Plus if you don't have a 2014 JD baler you need a kit to make it work, which runs about $2500. So not sure it would be worth it. :roll:

and costs around $7 per bale to wrap :shock: And it only does 40 bales per roll, not 40 less...

4Diamond said:
tenbach79 said:

and costs around $7 per bale to wrap :shock: And it only does 40 bales per roll, not 40 less...

I wasn't sure if that was 40 less or only 40 a roll. That sure changes my mind on the stuff :shock: And you might need a chain saw to cut the stuff also!

For $7 per bale I'll wrap even my dry with sisal then wrap in plastic and know I've got good hay with no wastage :?

Silver said:
For $7 per bale I'll wrap even my dry with sisal then wrap in plastic and know I've got good hay with no wastage :?

At $7.00 per bale it would not take long to save enough money to put up a hay shed and then your spoilage should really drop!

George said:
Silver said:

At $7.00 per bale it would not take long to save enough money to put up a hay shed and then your spoilage should really drop!

That would be quite a shed.

FWIW, just heard of a place feeding calves net wrapped bales through a processor, losing some. When posted, they are finding the wrap was to blame :? .

So Kosmo, now that you've got everyone debating about what to tie a round bale with, what are you doing about you dilemma?

WR, that's just an overload on plastic protein. :wink:

Latest posts