• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for the Ranch Wives

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The very first time I went home with greg to meet his parents{I was 18},visiting were a number of friends of the family.At the end of the eve gregs mom put out an amazing spread of food,this city gal thought,wow she must like me...LOL.She did that everytime someone visited,I had never seen that before. Come harvest time,I helped her make the dinners and suppers for the guys.wow for food.It just took me after the very first visit to realise things in the country are done WAY differently then the city.

I LOVE cooking for anyone,gregs mom taught me everything she knew{never can step in her footsteps though,her cooking was THE best}

You got alot of advice,I'm kinda partial to the advice OT and gcreek gave you though..... :D I'm hoping your friend finds his way....but I'm kinda thinking it won't be soon..... :?

We always put on a big feed after neighbors help us brand. Their help is very much appreciated, the least we can do is feed them! I like to cook a big roast (med rare-medium) on the barbecue, make home-grown horseradish sauce, potato casserole, salad, homemade dinner rolls and some type of dessert.

Learning about this girlfriend makes me feel pretty uncharitable. I don't think I'll give you any advice. :(

I can attest to rthe fact that when you visit Mrs Greg you get treated like royalty-stawberries and whipped cream for breakfast-my little band of roughstock riders don't get that very often.

Girlfriend or not, the guy should know how it works and be prepared. If it was me, I would either do like OT said and bring your own sack lunch, or probably go one step furthur and bring your best meal for all and make a point of it in front of the two of them....actions speak louder than words sometimes ....they'll either get the point or be mad enough you won't be asked back to help...win-win situation both ways! :wink:

Could it be that this gal just plain don't know how the system works?

Is she local, ranch/farm raised or city people?

We've done everything from prime rib to pizza...just depends on what's going on

Yanuck if I brought a meal for all I bet they would both expect it from me all the time.

Ok suggestions of what to pack in the sack lunch to drive them nuts. :D Just remember my husband can't eat lunch meat; I have minced roast beef that he likes. He's taken care of so no problem there. Oh I have a great big cooler. I may need enough for the rest of the crew. I may as well be prepared.
I just can't stand the thought of the others showing up and working and not bing fed. Guess I'm just too tender hearted.

kola she is from the city. You would think after at least 3 different brandings this spring she would catch on to what is expected.

I Luv Herfrds said:
kola she is from the city. You would think after at least 3 different brandings this spring she would catch on to what is expected.

Never underestimate ' city people'.....and their lack of ability to ' pay attention' to the customs.

Maybe she just needs someone to actually tell her, in a nice way of course, and kinda lead her along.

Beats me....just my 2cents worth.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Yanuck if I brought a meal for all I bet they would both expect it from me all the time.
Ok suggestions of what to pack in the sack lunch to drive them nuts. :D Just remember my husband can't eat lunch meat; I have minced roast beef that he likes. He's taken care of so no problem there. Oh I have a great big cooler. I may need enough for the rest of the crew. I may as well be prepared.
I just can't stand the thought of the others showing up and working and not bing fed. Guess I'm just too tender hearted.

Not if you went about it the right way and gave them both the attention they deserve!! :wink: :wink: fried chicken, foot long sub cut up, deviled eggs, brownies, cookies, , chocolate bars, chips, cheese sticks, drinks

kola when I was being nice to her in the beginning I did tell her how we always made different dishes for the brandings and roundups and how it all went among us ranchers/friends.
I was nice up to the "remark" part.
She told me that she was such an outdoor type of person that she could never be a "kitchen b*tch" like me.
No I didn't punch her, I had a chef's knife in my hand and my friends would have jumped on me. She's not worth going to jail for.

By the way I came from the city and my mother in law told me how it all was suppose to go. I always had a generious nature though.

kitchen bitch :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can see the headlines now

"city girl commits suicide, choked on 5 gallons of potato salad"

hahaha oh its on now city girl hahaha

just kidding just kidding

sounds like she just needs some good old manners taught to her.

good luck with that one!!

G3

Hold on now, the gf sounds like the only b*tch in the kitchen. Just my 2 cents worth (1.8 cents US). I am afraid you have lost a friend, at least for now, don't go back. We all make choices and he has made his. When she takes her share of the ranch I would suspect she won't want to stay and you might get a chance to buy her half.

I'd like to see this gal- If she isn't a "kitchen b*tch"- she must have quite the other ASSets....And I think per is right- looks like shes after your friends As$ets... :wink:

Going to see if I can borrow the sister in laws kitchen.
Sticky chicken, potato cassarole, manderine orange salad, fresh rolls, deviled eggs, pickles, brownies and drinks.

May as well leave and leave a wonderful memory, for us. Must not forget the salt. :wink:

I Luv Herfrds said:
Going to see if I can borrow the sister in laws kitchen.
Sticky chicken, potato cassarole, manderine orange salad, fresh rolls, deviled eggs, pickles, brownies and drinks.

May as well leave and leave a wonderful memory, for us. Must not forget the salt. :wink:
Wot? no hors d'oeuvres? :wink:
We can't wait to hear what happens. My guess is she'll assume you'll always do the cooking and she's off the hook for good. That's my guess.

This has been a good thread,makes us fellas really appreciate all you awesome ranch wives,we love you for it!!!Hardest working women we know.Firstly my wife and i meet and spent most of our lives in the city,San Francisco,and even with our somewhat libral upbringing,there was'nt a time i can remeber in childhood that there was'nt houses being built,cars worked on etc that brought out lots of people,kids running around,and lots and lots of food,so to say city people don't undrestand traditions of feeding when work parties are called is a little off course here.As far as your friend is concerned,his wife"god bless her soul" was probably raised understanding when people come help,you roll out the red carpet so to speak and take care of the help,feeding them top priority,can't be much help if there starving,i personally get grouchy once i've done a days work and find no food.And personally won't come back for seconds,friend or no friend.He knows this and it's gonna be his job to get her on the pay roll,or at least dinner rolls lol,or loose his top help,his decision,i don't care how good looking she is.His girlfriend probably was'nt raised like that,it's all in your upbrining!Some times you have to use tough love with your family and friends,this IMO is one of those cases.And of course always use tactfullness when doing so.Around here we almost try and put together work parties so we can enjoy each others company,great food and get work done.Good luck there lady,hope it all work out for the best! 8)

Blkbuckaroo said:
This has been a good thread,makes us fellas really appreciate all you awesome ranch wives,we love you for it!!!Hardest working women we know.Firstly my wife and i meet and spent most of our lives in the city,San Francisco,and even with our somewhat libral upbringing,there was'nt a time i can remeber in childhood that there was'nt houses being built,cars worked on etc that brought out lots of people,kids running around,and lots and lots of food,so to say city people don't undrestand traditions of feeding when work parties are called is a little off course here.As far as your friend is concerned,his wife"god bless her soul" was probably raised understanding when people come help,you roll out the red carpet so to speak and take care of the help,feeding them top priority,can't be much help if there starving,i personally get grouchy once i've done a days work and find no food.And personally won't come back for seconds,friend or no friend.He knows this and it's gonna be his job to get her on the pay roll,or at least dinner rolls lol,or loose his top help,his decision,i don't care how good looking she is.His girlfriend probably was'nt raised like that,it's all in your upbrining!Some times you have to use tough love with your family and friends,this IMO is one of those cases.And of course always use tactfullness when doing so.Around here we almost try and put together work parties so we can enjoy each others company,great food and get work done.Good luck there lady,hope it all work out for the best! 8)
Thank you Bikbuckaroo, for putting in a good word for city folk and their cooking. We cook til the table groans and not just for work parties. I marvel at some narrow minded things said about us city folk on Ranchers. Guess everybody has to look down on somebody but it is a hurtful habit and serves no good purpose.

One thing that I am getting, is that for those of us fellas who need help from our neighbors, the part our wives play is pretty huge. I have really been blessed over the years with good cookin'. Jan was not a teen yet when she was setting the table for her dad and 4 brothers, as well as mom who spent her share of time on the tractor. Some of what appear to be hardships, are really blessings. I'm blessed with a good 'un because of some difficult times in her youth. When I saw what she was, I just nabbed her up!!

sorry if i stepped on your toes there nonrancher, did not mean to.

i guess i take it for granted that most city people are rude when they really are not, like the old saying one bad apple ruins the whole bunch.

since the city dwellers are a little too close for me. have many come to bs and look, most offer to help "just give me a call" but when it comes down to it they are always too busy.

not many farms left around here and even fewer of the older original folks. mostly some of the "horsey" people who don't need to own a horse.

G3

Shortgrass said:
One thing that I am getting, is that for those of us fellas who need help from our neighbors, the part our wives play is pretty huge. I have really been blessed over the years with good cookin'. Jan was not a teen yet when she was setting the table for her dad and 4 brothers, as well as mom who spent her share of time on the tractor. Some of what appear to be hardships, are really blessings. I'm blessed with a good 'un because of some difficult times in her youth. When I saw what she was, I just nabbed her up!!
Shortgrass-I hear you there,met my wife when we were 16,came to her house one morning,she made me eggs and toast and i was like baby you're the one. :lol: :lol: Guess i'm not hard to pleace,but those eggs were made with such love. :lol2: Nonrancher-most of the young ladies i grew up with in the city knew thier way around a kitchen,the were pretty handy,some of thier parents being excellent cooks themselves.Rustynail-it's like that around here to,lots of pasture going to golf courses,lots of timber being knocked for new houses,i use to be in the middle of no where,now i feel like i'm in the middle of it all.Oh well,what can you do.Where now a bedroom community to Reno,Nv.

Whew!
Been busy today. Got everything I am taking to our friends tomorrow done except for the bread rolls. They just need to rise and be baked.

I know people who are from the city, but still act more like they are from the country. when I talk about these friends I normally don't even mention if they are from the city or country.
Now as to the gf of our friend, I make sure people know she is from the city.
You might say that is more of an excuse for her ignorance or laziness if you will, but it also does not excuse her in any way.

Latest posts