• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on a Simmental bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yanuck

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has ever used Ankony Red Ceasar and if so how well he worked or not?

According to their website they have quite a fine Simmental herd. Apparently they also dabble in Boer goats and Angus. :wink:

yes thats the bull Silver..I wondered if anyone had used him or sons, or at least have seen his progeny in real life....anyone?

I saw a red ceasar son at the bull sale in williams lake this spring, he was a pretty good type of bull. i would have bought him if i needed a bull.fleckvieh & red factor usually make a good pairing in my opinion.

I've got no interest in Fullblood bulls anymore. Those calves will lay there for hours. You never know if they are going to get colostrum on time. To easy for the mother to loose interest and walk off. Then your searching around trying to figure who the mother is and whether she is sucked or not.
The farmer barn calvers can have them. They have the jacks to handle them.

We have used him on our commercial Red Angus herd. He sure does a good job of putting more growth into those cattle. Since he is a non-spotter, non-diluter, the calves don't stand out like a Hereford bull would. He does mark his offspring though, they tend to be a lighter shade of red. One of the most remarkable things about that bull is the quality of semen. I don't know if it is consistent or if the stud collection just did a great job of collecting him, but we used 30 units and got 24 calves. The RA bull that we used at the same time gave us a touch over 50%. This was in a group of timed AI cows.

Calving ease was fine, but we used him on older cows. Another thing I noticed about him was that his gestation length was notably shorter than the other bull we used at the same time. I guess that is how they bred calving ease into him.

We have a bunch of half-blood bulls out of him that we will use for the first time this year. If you would like I can see if I can get some pictures of them and post them. We had one bull out of him that was awful flighty but the rest of the group are quiet and gentle so I would tend to think that the one was an aberation.

All around, we are quite happy with the results of that bull, the only thing I think we are going to see from him that we don't like is his calves are probably going to have a higher mature weight than the rest of our cattle do.

Thanks Fred..I would like to see the pictures if it s not too much of a pain, did you keep any females? and what are they like? thanks again

For some reason I thought you were an Angus outfit Yanuck. Fleckvieh makes a great cross with Angus. Those big Sim calves are usually a long gestation issue. If a shorter gestation period bull is actually available I would not be so shy about using one.

per said:
For some reason I thought you were an Angus outfit Yanuck. Fleckvieh makes a great cross with Angus. Those big Sim calves are usually a long gestation issue. If a shorter gestation period bull is actually available I would not be so shy about using one.

we are per, but have bred some Sim the last few yrs, with all the "stuff" going on in the Angus breed its good to explore new avenues. We just got delivery of our new hersire and he's a Canadian born and bred.

Yanuck said:
per said:

we are per, but have bred some Sim the last few yrs, with all the "stuff" going on in the Angus breed its good to explore new avenues. We just got delivery of our new hersire and he's a Canadian born and bred.
I'm sure what ever direction you go it will be done right. There are some well put together Sims out there to chose from.

I sure like some of the Sim/Angus bulls I saw this spring. Probably too much frame for our country out here but would be some soggy calves if ya had the grass.

I was raising Simmies before going to the black Angus. We had a few really nicely put together calves out of Antonius and Great Guns Ferdinand.

But I got a little carried away with them and ran into some serious calving issues on my big Simmental cows. So you can imagine what some of those calves were weighing at birth - 120 with huge hinds . . . the survivors were fantastic! :shock:

My family has been using fleck simmis for over 20 years always shying away from the huge monster types this year we pulled 5 calves out of `150+ cows calving 2 were heifers ,2 backwards 1 was just big and late at night so we went ahead and pulled.OUR BULLS NOW CONSIST of 2 red angus &5 red simmy for the commercial herd . my pb.cows which are high %fleck get a dream on son &my pb heifers are getting a canadian son proven on the commercial herd.i am finding they realy work well on red angus F! crosses with light bwts .of 75 to 85 #

I bought my first 'mongrel' this spring from Murray Farms dispersal. They had a good program with elite grass based fleckveih and angus. He bred his fleck heifers to oldhe bulls and made some fancy crossbreds. They are may/june born yearlings and sold cheap because of it. I was on the phone and the bull I really wanted was about lot 320 of 326 so I patiently sat on my wallet. If I'd been there in person I'm sure I would have yeilded to temptation and bought a couple more.
Worst part was after listening to the bargains I got blown out of the water on the bull I was after!

Well you must have picked out a gopod one them. Angus/Simm cows` if made from the right ingrediants`can run in with just about any dog. There are 1,000's of Herf/Simm and Angus/Simm cattle across northern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Still some outfits like Little Willow Creek that have big herds of straight Fleckvieh purebred cattle.

Latest posts