• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on a small hp tractor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Our daughter needs a little tractor to use at her place--
she has about 65 acres and three horses (silly girl :D ).
She has been looking and found a 1986 Ford 1710.
It has all the attachments she wants, a front end loader,
snow blower and 12" auger. It is a four-wheel drive,
has good tires and less than 800 hours. It has 26 hp
and 20 drawbar hp. We don't know if that is big enough,
or strong enough. Mr FH was of the thought it was a glorified
garden tractor and that seems to be what others think
that we have asked. The price seems reasonable, if the
tractor is big enough. It's a 3 cyl. diesel.

So, I'm asking here: is this tractor big enough to do what
she needs?

Here is a link to the tractor. (The man who owns Autoworld
in Rapid City said it belonged to his uncle and sat in the garage
most of the time.)

http://www.autoworldrc.com/search.cfm/Keyword-tractor/

Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for your response.

I'm not sure exactly what she will want to do but it won't do too much heavy lifting. I will say however that having met Mr. Faster I believe him to be wise man. He likely would be someone who has a handle on whether it can do the job.

I too believe it to be to small but on the other hand we all know how much work has been done with a ford 8n, same power no live shaft and no 4wd. one might be surprised at how much it can do

Faster horses said:
katrina said:
Dittos to Mr. Faster horses... He's a wise one..

You too? And after the door incident? :D :gag:

Hello!!! I was wishing I had your man and his powerwasher.. I had a heck of a time getting that paint stripper off my door.. Finaly got it all off with mineral sprits and elbow grease.... Got it primed and painted.. Did the mailbox and put squares on the garage door and also painted the lampposts.

Question I have is what does she intend to do with it?

I can see it being very handy if not used beyond its capibilities.

She needs it to clean snow out of her driveway, and after last
winter, she'd like the snowblower, as there got to be no place
to pile the snow after they bladed it. It comes with a 12" auger
and she'd like to use that to set some railroad ties.
And she would like to use it to pull her little rotary mower.

Will it have enough hp to run the snowblower?

Thanks.

I might point out that it doesn't have a cab, ergo no heater. Yet its primary use will be to move snow. When it is snowy it is usually cold and blowy and may I once again point out it has no cab. 8)

It no doubt is a glorified garden tractor, but that part is OK. If the loader and snowblower are sized correctly for the tractor, no problem.

But I'm with per. Does your daughter fully realize how miserable it is out there on a miserable cold day on a no cab tractor getting a kink in her neck while running a snowblower?

I use a grey market Kubota 285-30 hp,32 forward gears using h/w ect,540+3 higher speeds power take off, no front wheel assist, diesel,4 cyl:

Have clipped a zillion weeds,cleaned lots,drilled LOTS of post holes hauled single round bales around to feed... in short, I use it hard. Power to spare But it lacks the weight and width to make me want to trust it to much with a loader. In short, this Kubota is a heck of a deal.

John SD said:
It no doubt is a glorified garden tractor, but that part is OK. If the loader and snowblower are sized correctly for the tractor, no problem.

But I'm with per. Does your daughter fully realize how miserable it is out there on a miserable cold day on a no cab tractor getting a kink in her neck while running a snowblower?

She's a ranch girl, been outside in winter LOTS of times.
Probably too many times. :wink:
The tractor she has now has no cab and it has problems. But it also has no snowblower. :p
So no, she doesn't know about being cold and miserable, getting
a kink in her neck from running a snowblower...think I should tell
her? :D

With snowblowers how wide it is and how fast does she want to go will determine if the tractor has enough power. With a package deal the snowblower is probably matched to the tractor.

No cab, its pretty common in light wind conditions to have a bunch of fine snow drift back over the tractor and give you a nice white covering. :( :(

I have several hundred hours of experience with those things and I have a cab. :D

I've done a lot of snowblower work with the benefit of a cab but with a useless heater. :roll: My tractor is bigger than what my snowblower requires. A snowblower will eat as much snow as it's designed for, if the tractor has the power, traction, and proper gearing to do it.

On the first pass breaking through a snowbank, I sometimes have to slip the clutch because reverse is too fast. I might try to shave off the top of the snowbank, drive forward, then lower the blower and repeat the process.

Once a hole is punched through the snowbank a person can "shave" the sides of the snowbank out wider at a rate the tractor and blower can handle. It's that first trip through that is sometimes quite tricky.

From what you discribe I think it should be fine for her. I do love cabs ( more as I get older ) but I was 30 before I got the first tractor with a cab. I used to have "Heat Housers " from TSC that would take about an hour to put on in the fall and they really made a differance.

If she can get a ROPS with a top she can enclose enough of the rest to make it livable. It looks like it might have a roll bar on it. That could be a great start on an enclosure.

As far as the loader is concerned the first loader I ever had was on a WD Allis Chalmers with a narrow front end and it was a very valuable asset for several years so if used properly I would think it would be great.

I have done a lot of work with much less! Unless she can find something better go for it!

I wouldn't think she would need a cab...........she could call her boyfriend up and stay in the house and make hot chocolate and maybe cookies for him while he is blowing the snow..........just thinking.... :)

Latest posts