• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on JD 4630?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
I'm looking at a JD 4630 for an extra loader tractor to have when we are hauling hay seems like we always need one somewhere, this one only has a 1000 PTO on it, can I just get a 540 PTO and change it like the JD 4430's made in those year's ? If not can it done some other way, and would it be worth the cost ?? Thankyou 101

101 said:
I'm looking at a JD 4630 for an extra loader tractor to have when we are hauling hay seems like we always need one somewhere, this one only has a 1000 PTO on it, can I just get a 540 PTO and change it like the JD 4430's made in those year's ? If not can it done some other way, and would it be worth the cost ?? Thankyou 101

Check with a JD dealer to see if it is possible and cost of parts

Thanks angus guy and PATB for your help, I had a feeling that it would not be simple to change when it does'nt come with both PTO Shafts like the 4430's. This tractor was a one owner and is really clean and the price is right, I just thought if it had both PTO's it would just make it a lot sweeter. :D Thanks again for your help. 101

the 4630 i had was 1000 only. the few times i needed to hook it to something that was 540, i would just use an adapter and got along fine. i never had it come off or loosin' up.

As far as I know all 4630's only come with 1000 pto's. If you put an adapter on it I have found the ones that clamp on with a bolt stay good and tight and run nice and true.. I run an old 1486 International that way and I find my fuel consumption goes way down.

What is the implement you intend to use with the 1000PTO? If it could be changed, even if only the input yoke, might do the job for you. The downside would be everyone who operated it would have to be constantly mindful of the PTO speed.

Most of my major stuff is 1000 PTO (baler, hydroswing, haymover) The baler was 540 and I switched it to match the tractor. Had to get a new 1000 input yoke and swap the gearbox around. Did it when the baler was a year old.

On our 4630 we use an adapter and round bale with it - - - we put a paint line on the tack at the 540 RPM mark ( about 1,500 RPM I think,) if need be I can check for you but any JD dealer will tell you the right speed.

Tractor is very fuel efficient this way and has plenty of power. Works great on augers as well with the slower engine speed. I have even left the 1,000 RPM pto on the 4020 and used the adapter to get back to 540 for augers, really saves fuel and I feel saves wear on the engine as well, just make sure everyone know what you are doing!

Just buy an adapter but buy one from John Deere, they are a lot better. Our 4650 has a big 1000's so we bought one to reduce it and the guys at jd said these are better than ones you can buy.

Thanks Justin, Silver, John SD, George, and tenbach79 for all the help, the main thing other than the loader was maybe running one of the balers, I think for now will look into changing the 540 gear box and drive shaft, or maybe grandma will let me buy a new baler :wink: Thanks again for all the help. 101

I might be wrong but I think on some JD balers they had it if you would turn over the gear box it would change the baler from 540 to 1000 or vice versa.

I like keeping the baler on 540 and using the adapter as you run the engine much slower and it still has all the torque and horsepower you need.

Larrry said:
I might be wrong but I think on some JD balers they had it if you would turn over the gear box it would change the baler from 540 to 1000 or vice versa.

On my old 530 I turned the gear box around to get 540, but I had to get some hex shaft to make the output side the right length to hold the chain sprocket. I think I had to take a torch and cut a hole under the gear box because when I turned the gear box over the drain plug (which was the fill plug) didn't line up with the old drain hole. But it was pretty simple all in all.

Thanks to all for the help, I did'nt know there was two sizes of 1000 pto shafts ?? Went ahead and bought the tractor, will make a good extra loader tractor for now and will maybe go with 1000 pto in future equip. purchases, because most of our other tractors have both pto's now Thanks again for the help !! 101

Latest posts