• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Questions about small round balers/electronic ear tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Any Pics?

I'm a better fabricator than a photographer..... :wink:

It really was just made from 1 1/2" sq. tubing, with a bend to compensate for the diffence in widths (bale size to 3-pt spread). The clevis pins were store bought and the spear pins were bar stock worked into a point with the forge and anvil. Then just welded everything in place.

Hooks said:
Any Pics?

I'm a better fabricator than a photographer..... :wink:

It really was just made from 1 1/2" sq. tubing, with a bend to compensate for the diffence in widths (bale size to 3-pt spread). The clevis pins were store bought and the spear pins were bar stock worked into a point with the forge and anvil. Then just welded everything in place.
Copy that!Dial up has a way of makin' a guy not want to spend time uploading pics :) <Thanks.

I got a NH that will make 4x6 , I make mine 4x5 , and the weigh from 600 grass to 1000+ for alfalfa, I use a bale spear on back of my tractor that uses a hydralic motor to un spin. I hace alot of snow and instead of a grapple on my loader I have a log chain that hooks to the upper corners of the bucket .I tip the loader down , drop the chain over the far side of the bale kick the bucke forward(up) and pick the bale up, so I can go out of the stack with 2 bales. A cople outfits welt a ball on top of their bale spinner frame and back under a flat bed 5th wheel and take a load out to feed.

Blkbuckaroo said:
Would like to experiment with a small round baler next hay season,but no one in my area bales round.All square bales here.What kind of small used round baler can you folks recommend,for a starter baler,don't want to spend alot of this experiment.Also how would i roll them out for feeding off my truck,is there something i could fabricate? :???: A roller of some sort,i have no experience with this type of thing.Electronic ear tags?How do you read them on to your computer as you work cattle in the sqeeze?That is to say,is there a scanner attach to the computer? Thanks in advance folks.Oh also how much do those small round bales generally weigh?And what do the sell for?Any pics would be appreciated 8)

You are talking big round balers. A small round baler, the only one I ever saw is an Allis Chalmers Roto-Baler. Make from a 60-120 pound bale, just a round form of the small square bale. Dad and I wore out 3 of those Roto balers throughout the years. Pick 'em up out of the field with an F 10 Farmhand loader with a sweep on the front, get about 10-12 on each pass, and buck 'em up in the corner of the field closest to the road. They shed water pretty good and you could leave 'em in a pile, or haul them in and stack them. Load up what you needed 30-50 in the back of the pickup and haul 'em out to the critters. The summer before I started my Senior year of High School Dad and I baled up almost 50,000 prairie hay bales between us and a neighbor. I was busy all by myself every day after school and every weekend until Christmas Break hauling them things in and stacking them. We had a big snow with about 5 loads to go, so Dad fired up the motor grader, put the chains on it, and we hooked the lowboy up and went to the field. He'd kick those bales out of the deep snow with the blade and then you could hook 'em as you went by.

I don't miss those days one damn bit!

Jody that bale spinner is kinda what i envisioned,but on a truck.Although now i'm thinking i should fabricate something for the tractor,sounds like that's what everyone is using.Loomix the roto baler sounds interesting but was thinking more along the lines of a 1/4 ton type round bale.Maybe that's more a medium baler then small?Is the consensus out there that belt is better then the chain driven?When you're buying used sometimes you can't be to picky,but if one's better i'd just assume look at those first.Thanks!

If you venture up to Klamath Falls or Lakeview Ore. you can find a good used round baler. An outfit over here ran a small one 3ftX 4ft and went back to a small square baler because of lack of capacity and the option of being able to sell hay on a wet year. If all I did was put hay for cattle I would think a round baler would be the cat's meow.

we still have a guy who rotobales his pasture. but he leaves the bales out there for winter forage.....

Why don't you just buy a used three point bale unroller? They usually sell for abour $500 on auctions.

As far as balers, I think a JD 530 is about as good of an older baler as you can get for the money. You could probably find one for around $2,500. They make a good solid bale and I know people that have made thousands of bales with one.

I'm still using my old ( 1972 ) John Deere 510 -- - - I put the heavy duty compression springs on it when new to mave 2,000# + bales but when I was doing custom work I had customers who wanted about 1,000# bales and I just kicked them out as soon as the indicator moved.

I made 12,000 + bales a year with this for years and sold the baler about 15 years ago and bought it back for $1,500.00 two years ago. I just make about 300 bales for myself now. No it does not have a guidance system but will still do the job if you just turn tour head! If you keep the bales to a small size a small tractor would handle it but don't get on a hill with a 2,000# bale and a small tractor. When I got it back I had to splice two belts and give it a good grease job. I will need to replace a bearing before spring but I see no reason it cannot last several more years.

I still like the 2,000# bales as I don't like moving twice as many smaller bales.

Probably look into the three point bale spinner,sounds the easiest thing to do.I'd never drag one of those balers on a hill,did that this past summer with my NH small sqaure baler,baling alfalfa on a side hill and almost got pulled down the hill.Scared the you know what outta' me.Won't do that again.Round bales for the cows,and square bales for a little income,and my ponies.Thanks All you've given some great ideas and info.Appreciate it 8)

Latest posts