• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF and M-ID

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
Yep, R-CALF sure is fighting M-ID all the way... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: Here's some actual truth straight from the source.

Billings, Mont.) – The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is moving forward with plans to implement a mandatory animal identification (Animal ID) system to achieve the ability to identify within 48 hours after discovery animals that have had contact with a foreign or domestic animal disease. Published in today's Federal Register is notice of the availability of a National Animal Identification System (NAIS) draft strategic plan and draft program standards. Both documents are available at: http://www.usda.gov/nais. The public has until June 6 to comment on either or both.

R-CALF USA has been involved in the USDA's development of the drafts and is encouraged by provisions in the drafts that appear to prevent the privatization of the Animal ID system. Under the chairmanship of Richard Bowman, DVM, the R-CALF USA Animal ID Committee has urged USDA to ensure that existing state, tribal and federal agencies control this program as the best assurance that the system will be effective and that producers' interests are not monopolized by private entities.

"The infrastructure and expertise to efficiently administer a national program designed to enhance our animal disease control and eradication efforts reside in the governmental agencies charged with that responsibility," said Bowman. "This animal-health responsibility should be assigned to those agencies and not to profit-motivated nor politically motivated entities in the private sector."

"R-CALF also is encouraged with the flexibility shown within the draft plan for existing identification systems, such as brands," said Leo McDonnell, R-CALF USA president and co-founder. "Using state animal health agencies, as well as existing brand-enforcement agencies and/or contractors already in place, will make the system easier to use and more cost-effective for U.S. cattle producers. This proposed Animal ID system needs to make sure existing ID systems are used, and I am encouraged that USDA has incorporated the suggestions from the U.S. cattle industry on this important issue."

R-CALF USA has deep concerns about maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of producers' proprietary information in the NAIS that might be able to be collected through utilization of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or other means.

USDA's draft plan recognizes the need to maintain confidentiality of proprietary information and indicates that the agency will seek legislation to obtain the needed protection for this information.

"R-CALF members look forward to working with USDA, Congress and all other U.S. cattle producers to make certain this system does not impermissibly allow private parties access to producer information," said R-CALF USA Region V Director Chuck Kiker.

R-CALF USA also looks forward to working with the Administration and Congress to explore appropriate funding sources for Animal ID.

"This is a national system, and its costs cannot become a burden to farm and ranch families across the United States," said Bill Bullard, R-CALF USA CEO. "In the coming days and weeks, R-CALF will work very closely with USDA, Congress, and with our members as details of the NAIS are developed to ensure that the interests of independent cattle producers are safeguarded."

Last summer, R-CALF USA members and affiliated organizations were directly involved in helping shape NAIS by attending listening sessions, offering testimony before Congress, and voicing the concerns of independent cattlemen across the country.

Representatives of the South Dakota Stock Growers Association (SDSGA) met with USDA Under Secretary Bill Hawks to express the needs of independent cattle producers as they relate to an Animal ID system.

"We laid out our concerns about the NAIS, and we will continue working closely with the Administration to achieve compatibility with existing systems such as brand laws," said SDSGA Regional Vice President Kenny Fox. "South Dakota has a successful history with its branding system, and we will work to incorporate our existing framework into the NAIS."

Doran Junek, executive director of the Kansas Cattlemen's Association (KCA) noted that although Kansas is a non-brand state, KCA members have been investigating other various components that would create a useful animal identification program.

"Because Kansas is a non-brand state, we see a window of opportunity with the NAIS because we realize the importance of being able to trace cattle," said Junek. "Kansas is one of a handful of states in a unique situation because of the large number of cattle brought in from outlying states for placement in feedlots, and the large number of stocker-feeder operations for grass-fed cattle from outlying states."

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members – over 14,500 strong – are located in 46 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

R-CALF also is encouraged with the flexibility shown within the draft plan for existing identification systems, such as brands,"******* GUESS WHAT,www.scoringag.com had Brands in its database system since I started using the system in 02.Why does everyone always have to rely on the goverment to get something DONE,and this pie in the sky IDEE of an 48 hour traceback is stupid when todays technology by SSI does traceback in ten SECONDS.

Leo McDonnell helped to write the "M"COOL law and called "M"COOL a "good law as written".

That would include prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL because the R-CULTers said they did not want producers to be burdened with traceback. Now they have done a 180 on the issue. IMAGINE THAT?????

THE CLASSIC JOHN KERRY "first I voted for it, then I voted against it" political flip flop."

Wonder which way the R-CALF winds will blow tomorrow?

More of what we have come to expect from R-CALF!

~SH~

Today it is........

Quote: "Last summer, R-CALF USA members and affiliated organizations were directly involved in helping shape NAIS by attending listening sessions, offering testimony before Congress, and voicing the concerns of independent cattlemen across the country."

Yesterday it was.........

Quote: "We want country of origin labeling, not farm of origin labeling"

~SH~

Helping shape NAIS .WHO are THEY???? As I see it they,the ones shaping NAIS , Do not have to reshape the WHEEL or build the WHEEL. The reason is www.scoringag.com has done this world-wide traceback system for every gov. and rancher - producer no matter their level of income or their exchange rate.All in simple to use web-based recordkeeping for their own enviorment.

~SH~ said:
Leo McDonnell helped to write the "M"COOL law and called "M"COOL a "good law as written".

That would include prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL because the R-CULTers said they did not want producers to be burdened with traceback. Now they have done a 180 on the issue. IMAGINE THAT?????

THE CLASSIC JOHN KERRY "first I voted for it, then I voted against it" political flip flop."

Wonder which way the R-CALF winds will blow tomorrow?

More of what we have come to expect from R-CALF!

~SH~

You know, SH, for a man who claims to embrace "the truth", you sure spread the BS pretty think when it suits your means of bashing R-CALF regardless.

I've mentioned several times that YOU KNOW that Bullard was not the only one trying to write that law, YOU KNOW that law making is a give and take business, and that YOU KNOW oftentimes the law is not exactly what you wanted, but is better than you had so it is accepted. That is the case here. The final law is NOT what R-CALF wanted, but they see it as a start and much better than we had before. If you were truly the deciple of truth you claim to be, you wouldn't try to mislead people into believing this law is just what Bullard and R-CALF wanted.

I don't know why I even bother correcting your nonsense - you'll post it again in the future. I guess it makes me feel better knowing I just didn't let BS go unchallenged.

Hi again, As my posts on the "prices" forum didn't generate much interest and no creative answers, I will try another one. As I see on this, (as well as some others) the R_Calf people are alive and well here so I will post my thoughts on that organization.
Sure, I am angered by the delay in border opening caused by this groups actions and by their judge. But, in the defense of this group of people, I believe they are fighting for their financial lives! Just as we are in Alberta right now. I'm also sure that some of the group are NOT stupid, they know the quality of our product and they are SCARED to death! When all gets back to "normal', whatever that may be, our beef is waiting, for the world to buy! Time will tell, I may be wrong, who can say for sure?
I don't know much about US politics. I don't even have the time and energy at present to keep up with the sorry mess our government here in Canada has created! However, I have watched your President and other high government officials on TV (we have those in Alberta) in times of world crisis. It seems to me that if the US government and their beaurocrats (sp?) really want the border open to Canadian cattle, and a small "punkin' roller" group like R-Calf has really stopped this process, SOMEWHERE ALONG THE TIME LINE THEY WILL PAY FOR THIS!!!
These government leaders have to be among the most intelligent, powerful people on the planet. Do you think they appreciate haveing a small group of malcontents, based in Motana, figuratively spit in their faces? They (and we) are not of much importance in the whole scheme of things that governments have to deal wih, but someone, somewhere probably keeps the list of who has to be dealt with, someday when there is time. Think about it. As I said I may not know what I"m talking about, but as an outsider looking in, I think I could be right!

HELLO BORDER Rancher,I read with interest your post as I am close to the border in Michigan.Your comment ;When all gets back to "normal', whatever that may be, our beef is waiting, for the world to buy! A word of caution. The new traceback laws coming and the ones already in place in 63 countrys will have to be dealth with when exporting from every country around the world nomatter how big or small. Just read that Brazil has to throw out their SISBOV animal RFID system because it doesn't get their animal food products in any country after July 2 05.Not enough info is collected at the origin source.I use the only GLOBAL system that works and its www.scoringag.com .There is alot of good stuff on the other site at www.scoringsystem.com/agri/

Me again, that dumb woman from way up north, a whole 3 miles from the USA. As I say, you may be right, or you may be dead wrong. I don't know and you don't know. Right? I do know that we both live in parts of the world that allow us to express our opinions, right or wrong! For this we should be very thankful.
As far as the cattle identification goes, I do know that the barcoded tags the Canadian Livestock Identification forced us by law to use for the last few years are being replaced by some different ones using radio
frequency this year. A curious neighbour took one apart and says they have yards, maybe miles if fine copper wire inside. They also cost more than twice as much as the bar coded ones so that means they have to be twice as good. Right?
There are 2 prices for the tags, the cheaper ones can be read by an electronic reader from about 6 inches away. The more expensive ones can be read from about 2 feet away. Someone please tell me the difference! Our range cows are mostly quite reasonable to deal with, but not one is going to allow us to walk within 6 inches, or 2 feet , or maybe even 10 feet to point a device to read an ear tag. In the squeeze 6 inches or 2 feet makes no difference to us. Our vet, a cattle producer himself, born, raised and trained in Canada, can't understand how, in large warehouses, large loads of goods pass through a door, and are scanned instantly. A printout pops out of a computer listing exactly how many of each item, dates of manufacture and any other pertinate information. Why is it that a herds of cows has to be separated and captured individually to read an ID tag? I really don't know. Please tell me!!

Our vet, a cattle producer himself, born, raised and trained in Canada, can't understand how, in large warehouses, large loads of goods pass through a door, and are scanned instantly. A printout pops out of a computer listing exactly how many of each item, dates of manufacture and any other pertinate information. Why is it that a herds of cows has to be separated and captured individually to read an ID tag? ********The AVID ring reader for cattle does just that mentioned above.Also a few companies have the same equipment with different prices that I have been collecting for our Ranch.

There are 2 prices for the tags, the cheaper ones can be read by an electronic reader from about 6 inches away. The more expensive ones can be read from about 2 feet away. Someone please tell me the difference! ********** Scoringag.com says one is full duplex and the other is half duplex,which doesn't read very farat all.

I guess you misunderstood my meaning. As far as I am concerned 2 feet away and 6 inches away are exactly the same if you have to catch the cow in a squeeze to read the tag.
This "gate run" idea sounds better, but remember our cows are worth only 225.00 a head right now. How much does this tagging system cost?

A firm in England and Austrailia have a ring or doorway that can read 800 cattle an hour running through it. I am trying to get a price from the Aussi . Heck ,maybe I could sell a few if their cheap.

Sandhusker: "You know, SH, for a man who claims to embrace "the truth", you sure spread the BS pretty think when it suits your means of bashing R-CALF regardless."

As always, talk is cheap from you.

Let's see who's spreading BS shall we or will you run and hide or divert or discredit, or deceive, or deny?

Sandhusker: "I've mentioned several times that YOU KNOW that Bullard was not the only one trying to write that law,"....

Obviously or I wouldn't have mentioned that Leo McDonnell claims to have written the law and also called it a "good law as it's written".

Sandblaster: "...YOU KNOW that law making is a give and take business,...."

Of course and I know that R-CULT supported prohibiting "M"ID and got their way.

Sandblaster: "...and that YOU KNOW oftentimes the law is not exactly what you wanted,..."

Yup but in the case of prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL, that's what R-CULT wanted.

Sandblaster: "That is the case here."

Not from the standpoint of "M"ID. R-CULT supported prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL because it's members did not want it. Leo called it a good law as it's written. You can dance forever around that one.

Sandblaster: "The final law is NOT what R-CALF wanted, but they see it as a start and much better than we had before."

That may be so from the standpoint of exempting food service but Leo wrote the law and called the law "a good law as written". Would you like to place a small wager on that?

He stated this at the "M"COOL listening session in Billings, MT.

Sandhusker: "If you were truly the deciple of truth you claim to be, you wouldn't try to mislead people into believing this law is just what Bullard and R-CALF wanted."

You want to dance?

Ok, dance around this.........

Did R-CALF support prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL?

Yes or no?

Watch this..................

Sandhusker: "I don't know why I even bother correcting your nonsense - you'll post it again in the future. I guess it makes me feel better knowing I just didn't let BS go unchallenged."

You corrected nothing. Like the deceptive pathetic individual you are, you created another "ILLUSION" by suggesting that R-CALF supported "M"ID.

R-CALF supported prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL and that's what they got. Leo wrote the law and called it a "good law as written" and now you can't handle the truth so you try to create a diversion.

"DON'T BURDEN ME WITH TRACEBACK"
"WE WANT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, NOT FARM OF ORIGIN"
"JUST MARK THE IMPORTS, JUST MARK THE IMPORTS"

Sure Sandhusker, keep telling yourself that these catch phrases were not the R-CULTer's battle cry. Yup, you bet!

~SH~

You can't change what has been done and stated Sandhusker.

We don't want a "burdensome" traceback may be R-CALF's position now but that was not their position before. Their position before was......

"We want country of origin, NOT FARM OF ORIGIN"???

2nd time, did R-CALF support prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL?

Yes or no?

Keep dancing around that question Sandhusker!

Show your true "illusionist" colors.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
You can't change what has been done and stated Sandhusker.

We don't want a "burdensome" traceback may be R-CALF's position now but that was not their position before. Their position before was......

"We want country of origin, NOT FARM OF ORIGIN"???

2nd time, did R-CALF support prohibiting "M"ID from "M"COOL?

Yes or no?

Keep dancing around that question Sandhusker!

Show your true "illusionist" colors.

~SH~

They did unless M-ID would be proved not to be BURDOMSOME to the US producer. The problem was that when M-COOL was being drafted, M-ID was yet to be finalized, as it remains yet today. R-CALF did not want to agree to something that had yet to be drafted.

Hi Sandhusker, I am so disappointed you have ignored all my posts, I've been waiting to hear from you. Nothing much from me here except your spelling mistake took all the clout out of the last post by you. BURDENSOME is the correct spelling.
You are right about one thing, this ID stuff is a burden, financial and work wise! We know in Canada, we have done it for several years. That is the LAW here. Everytime the "powers that be" decree an improvement in the system, it costs us more. Now they want Date of Birth recorded for every tag number. I hope they will have enough money allotted to our Health Care system to look after the ranchers who need it when they are run over by an old Mama cow with a brand new baby that has to be tagged immediately!

Border rancher said:
Hi Sandhusker, I am so disappointed you have ignored all my posts, I've been waiting to hear from you. Nothing much from me here except your spelling mistake took all the clout out of the last post by you. BURDENSOME is the correct spelling.
You are right about one thing, this ID stuff is a burden, financial and work wise! We know in Canada, we have done it for several years. That is the LAW here. Everytime the "powers that be" decree an improvement in the system, it costs us more. Now they want Date of Birth recorded for every tag number. I hope they will have enough money allotted to our Health Care system to look after the ranchers who need it when they are run over by an old Mama cow with a brand new baby that has to be tagged immediately!

Ask and you shall receive! I guess you want me to reply to your first post?

First of all, I take exception to your referal to Judge Cebull as "their Judge." Accusations of paid off judges reek of sour grapes. The fact is the judge heard both sides and made the call. Because he ruled in R-CALF's favor does not mean R-CALF bought him off - it only means they had the better arguements.

Yes, R-CALF member do see this as a fight for survival. However, the fight is NOT against the Canadian producers, as many Canadians have willed themselves to believe. The fight is against the USDA/AMI partnership. Some of us are sick to the gills of the USDA doing the AMI's bidding. The last two examples are the Creekstone ruling and the emascualtion of existing health policy in the name of profits of selected entities ( The Canadian border).

The US government should not be seek retribution from any "punkin roller" outfit. In the US, the government is supposed to he held accountable by the public and when the government fails them, the public has the right to call them out on it. The problem is that increasingly the government does the bidding of those who "donate" the most to the parties. Ranchers don't donate much, and certainly not as a bloc.

There, you got your answer and hopefully not too many spelling errors!

Latest posts