• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF has no shame in their BSE "fear mongering"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy said:
Mike said:
Tommy said:
SH...Korea stated that they would not take our beef unless we were willing to take Canadian live cattle because they are not fooled by R-CULT's deception regarding seperate industries between the U.S. and Canada.

Scott can you post the statement or article where Korea has stated they would not take our beef unless we are willing to take Canadian live cattle.
Thanks.

I would like to see that quote also.

Count me in too.............

Tommy: "Scott can you post the statement or article where Korea has stated they would not take our beef unless we are willing to take Canadian live cattle."

Not without spending a bunch of time looking for it which I am unwilling to do at this time. I am not going to play along with the Sandhusker game of having to justify every statement I make.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Tommy: "Scott can you post the statement or article where Korea has stated they would not take our beef unless we are willing to take Canadian live cattle."

Not without spending a bunch of time looking for it which I am unwilling to do at this time. I am not going to play along with the Sandhusker game of having to justify every statement I make.

~SH~

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man with the "truth" can't back up his claims. Imagine that............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, the man with the truth won't be forced to back up every thing he says and play along with your little games.

~SH~

Sandhusker said:
~SH~ said:

~SH~

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man with the "truth" can't back up his claims. Imagine that............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Piss on the fire and call the dogs. :wink:

~SH~ said:
No, the man with the truth won't be forced to back up every thing he says and play along with your little games.

~SH~

Asking for verification of a statement is a little game? Talk is cheap (where have I heard that? :lol: )You either put up or you shut up. :p

TheGlobeandMail - 12th October 2004
South Korea still fears Canadian beef: official

SEOUL - South Korea is unlikely to resume beef imports from Canada any time soon, despite stricter rules imposed by the exporter because buyers are still not convinced that supplies are safe, a South Korean official said yesterday.

Prarie dawg,aint gonna put up,he aint gonna shut up either.I tried to teach that educated derilict about the CAPTIVE SUPPLY REFORM ACT on several occasions,wasted my time couldnt even get him to understand the definition of CAPTIVE SUPPLY.................. good luck

Here's something slightly more recent.

March 18 , 2005
TFB Task Force: No opposition
to Canadian beef imports By Mike Barnett
Editor

The Texas Farm Bureau Board of Directors voted to not oppose the United States Department of Agriculture's ruling to reopen the border between Canada and the U.S. to beef imports. The opening of the border, scheduled begin March 7, has been delayed by a temporary injunction by a federal judge in Montana.

The Board's decision was based on the recommendations of a Texas Farm Bureau Task Force considering critical issues related to three Canadian BSE cases. USDA's ruling would have allowed importation of beef from animals under the age of 30 months and importation of live animals going to restricted feedlots for harvest before 30 months of age.

"Our industry is in the best position we can be in at this time to take this action," the task force report said. "Further, it greatly enhances the possibility of reopening critical export markets such as Japan, Korea and Mexico. As difficult a decision as this is, we believe Texas beef producers will be best served by Farm Bureau not opposing the planned reopening on March 7".

In May, 2003, Canada announced the discovery of a cow with BSE, and the United States closed its borders to Canadian beef and live animals.

In August, 2003, boneless beef from animals under the age of 20 months was allowed to be imported into the U.S. from Canada.

Then, in December, 2003, a cow of Canadian origins was discovered in Washington state, and major importers closed their borders to U.S. beef products.

"Thus, the U.S. beef industry has been locked in a bureaucratic 'trade wedge'—reaping the same penalties from Japan and other countries that the U.S. has imposed on Canada," the report said.

The task force found that reopening the U.S. border to Canadian beef imports would have minimal impact on Texas producers.

"Cattle Fax (an industry marketing group) analysis indicates a possible impact of $2 per hundredweight for cattle coming out of the feedlot and $4 per hundredweight for the feeder market," the report said. "While price impact of reopening the border is an important consideration, a greater concern is fear of consumer resistance to prices being charged in the retail meat case, especially in comparison to retail prices for poultry and pork."

The task force reviewed the science related to BSE and concluded that allowing the importation of Canadian beef does not present a risk to consumers or the U.S. beef herds.

The task force said the American herd will remain safe from infection because:

1) BSE is not spread by animal-to-animal contact;

2) products and live animals to be imported are under 30 months of age, an age where BSE is not found; and

3) the feed ban, implemented in 1997, means that no part of any animal that could carry BSE will be fed to cattle.

"Understanding the science of BSE, reviewing the surveillance program in Canada, and seeing the very low number of cases found supports the decision to declare Canada a minimal risk country," the task force said.

The task force also found that reopening the border to Canadian beef is an important step to returning U.S. beef into the global marketplace.

"We claim our product is safe because of safeguards established since 1997, and Canada has enacted the same procedures," the task force said. "Since our beef is safe, why should we consider beef from Canada unsafe? To suggest otherwise opens the door for our trading partners to cast doubt on our American safeguards, as well as raises doubt among American consumers."

In conclusion, the Task Force advised producers of the critical and historic international relationship between Canada and the United States.

The report cited trade figures, which indicate Canada is the number one export market for U.S. goods and services to the tune of $189 billion annually. Total trade between the two countries is over $445 billion.

"We have over 200 years of relations, agreements and treaties," the report said. "Thus, it is an inevitable international political reality that Canadian beef trade with the U.S. will be restored now that the science, health and food safety issues appear resolved.

"With this in mind, we believe that U.S. and Texas beef producers will be best served to move forward with the administration's plans for reopening the border on March 7 (the statement was released prior to the Montana court decision to delay opening the border)."

The complete task force report can be found on the at the Texas Farm Bureau website: www.txfb.org.
Task Force Recommendations•That TFB not oppose the Dec. 29, 2004 rule opening the border to the importation of beef from animals under the age of 30 months of age, as "we find no economic or health reason to do so."

•That USDA develop (prior to opening the border) an orderly transition of movement plan to reduce the impact of beef products coming in immediately after March 7.

•That programs be developed to assist producers in adding value to their products through the use of an animal identification program. (It was recognized that some domestic and international markets are moving toward demanding an age and/or source-verified product.)

•That the TFB Board instruct staff to communicate to the Texas Congressional delegation and to the Bush administration the critical importance of reopening the borders of Japan and Korea. It is further recognized that TFB members communicate to the Texas members of Congress the importance of this Asian trade.

•That, as orderly marketing of beef and beef animals under the age of 30 months becomes a reality, there should be continued review of the science and economics of the remaining trade issues:

a.Beef from animals over the age of 30 months.

b.Live animals over the age of 30 months for harvest.

c.Export of "bone in" products.

d.Export of live animals for harvest in other countries.

e. Movement of beef seedstock. Currently, Texas seedstock producers are suffering difficult times as their primary markets in Mexico and South America are closed to them.

f. Movement of dairy animals, especially replacement heifers.

Ask the guys from Texas...

Our industry is in the best position we can be in at this time to take this action," the task force report said. "Further, it greatly enhances the possibility of reopening critical export markets such as Japan, Korea and Mexico. As difficult a decision as this is, we believe Texas beef producers will be best served by Farm Bureau not opposing the planned reopening on March 7".

BTW. Mexico has already stated that it won't take anything from the United States that the U.S. won't take from Canada. And that's in writing. How important is the Mexican market to you? If you don't want it we'll be glad to have it.

R-CALF says they want their export markets back and even put it as a stipulation of openning this border. But do they really want the export markets back if they are willing to close the only big market the US has besides Canada and stall the resolution of the rest. The USDA just announced they have 91% of the Mexican trade back but what is going to happen to that 91% if R-CALF fear mongering ways win again and the judge closes the boxed beef trade down? How long are the US ranchers going to let R-CALF destroy their export markets just to keep Canadian cattle and beef out to protect cattle prices. :?

Tam said:
R-CALF says they want their export markets back and even put it as a stipulation of openning this border. But do they really want the export markets back if they are willing to close the only big market the US has besides Canada and stall the resolution of the rest. The USDA just announced they have 91% of the Mexican trade back but what is going to happen to that 91% if R-CALF fear mongering ways win again and the judge closes the boxed beef trade down? How long are the US ranchers going to let R-CALF destroy their export markets just to keep Canadian cattle and beef out to protect cattle prices. :?

NCBA is demanding that our export market be restored before trade with Canada is restored.

R-CALF finds the fact that we will have lower import standards than a third world country such as Egypt simply unacceptable.

Sandhusker: "R-CALF finds the fact that we will have lower import standards than a third world country such as Egypt simply unacceptable."

R-CALF's food safety concerns run as deep as prohibiting "M"ID form "M"COOL because they wanted "country of origin, not farm of origin" even though their brands were already tracing their cattle back to their ranch. Real wizards!

Their "so called" lower import standards is nothing but rhetoric to keep the Canadian border closed to live cattle. Nobody is fooled Sandhusker but you!

~SH~

SH:"R-Calf.........prohibiting "M"ID form "M"COOL"

The thought of R-Calf "PROHIBITING" anything is simply laughable Scott. Can you tell us how they "PROHIBITED" "M"ID? Sounds as though you are giving them much more credit than is possible from a small organization.

Webster's Dictionary: Prohibit - "To forbid by authority"

Mike said:
SH:"R-Calf.........prohibiting "M"ID form "M"COOL"

The thought of R-Calf "PROHIBITING" anything is simply laughable Scott. Can you tell us how they "PROHIBITED" "M"ID? Sounds as though you are giving them much more credit than is possible from a small organization.

Webster's Dictionary: Prohibit - "To forbid by authority"

Mike, why is it so hard for you to believe R-CALF has authority over Congress? They have the power to open and close borders, didn't you know that? Haven't you heard that they buy Federal Judges as well? Did I forget to point out they also regulate what packers in Canada pay for fats? Come on Mike, wake up and smell the coffee? :lol:

Tommy...Kato, where in your article does it state that Korea will not take USA beef unless the USA takes Canadian live cattle?

Kato's response...Ask the guys from Texas

"Further, it greatly enhances the possibility of reopening critical export markets such as Japan, Korea and Mexico.

Like Scott, you cannot come up with a statement showing Korea will not take USA beef unless the USA takes Canadian live cattle. All you got is a group saying it might help if we did.

Sandhusker said:
Tam said:

NCBA is demanding that our export market be restored before trade with Canada is restored.

R-CALF finds the fact that we will have lower import standards than a third world country such as Egypt simply unacceptable.

Does NCBA have a court case pending to stop borders from openning. and has the NCBA filed a court case that will close the one export market you do have, Mexico? NCBA has publicly stated they know to open these export markets the US will have to treat Canada the same way they expect others to treat the US, and Mexico has it written into their agreement. Has R-CALF ever admitted that Sandhusker? No because they live in a "do as I say not as I do world". Canada is to test a higher percentage of cattle but the US tests a fraction of what we test. Canada has feed ban compliance but the US just can't import as that would put the US herd at risk, Export markets like Japan are to adjust regulations and open to the US as a minimal risk country but the US can't because that would be lowering their standards. :roll: I bet the rest of the North American beef industry finds what R-CALF is doing as unacceptable but that doesn't matter to you does it. How many groups have to sign on in support of the USDA before R-CALF gets that picture. :???: The question was asked "are you saying 14000 ranchers are wrong ? I think by Haymaker so I ask you Sandhusker just how many producers and US citizens is R-CALF saying are wrong IF R-CALF thinks they are right. Can you add up the memberships of the groups that have come out in support of the USDA and give us a figure of how many that would be? I will bet it is far more than R-CALF's 14,000.

Tam, you have a bad habit of mixing policies of R-CALF, NCBA, and USDA together - and then "finding" inconsistancies. :wink: USDA is the one demanding Japan lower their standards. R-CALF is all for giving Japan what they want.

First of all, saying the Mexico will close to us if we stop the Canadian boxed beef trade is speculation on your part. I looked at Mexico's requirements on the USDA web site last night. I didn't see Canada mentioned.

NBCA says we have to treat Canada as we would like others to treat us? Sounds nice, but this isn't grade school, it's international trade. Instead of believing everything you want to believe, take a look at what is actually happening and see if there is any truth to that statement. How are we treating you? Write down our policy. Now compare that with how Japan, Taiwan, Egypt, Korea, etc.... are treating us. I rest my case.

Latest posts