• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF USA Talking Points Regarding USDA’s OTM Import Rule

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ARE THESE 6 POINTS FAIR ?

• YES,THEY ARE FAIR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO,THEY ARE NOT FAIR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tam said:
Mike said:
don said:
mike that's hilarious. just give out the information because some foreign government wants it to make up for their sorry system. i'm sure you'd support handing out information on private property to any foreign interest that requested it.

Hilarious huh?

Honest people have nothing to hide.

If you're hiding something I wouldn't want to turn it over either. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Say Mike IF honest people have nothing to hide then why hasn't the US Cattle industry implement a National system like ours that can trace US cattle back to the place they were born? :? Isn't it because your US producers don't want anyone to know where your cattle were raise as you might be held accountable for the cattle you raise? Let the trace back on disease die at the packer doors right Mike.
You are a hypocrite and this is nothing more than another example of Do as I say not as I'm willing to do myself.... :roll:

Tam- I disagree with that- shown the number of people that use and have used permanent hot iron brands as ID and signed affidavits with their own ranch eartags and records for years....

The main objection to the Mandatory National ID was that US citizens and US cattlemen hate any type of National mandate which takes away or restricts their freedom in any way and takes away States rights...

Also USDA went about it wrong from the start saying they were going to force it on the country- and give NCBA monopoly control of the system made it DOA....

But mainly its US cattlemen/ and US citizens as a whole are very indepndent and don't like being told by government they have to do anything.....

the biggest issue that made the id system acceptable to producers here was the confidentiality. without that there would have probably been no easy agreement to get it implemented. therre would be times when it would be nice to determine ownership on an animal coming off community pastures or stray animals but that's not the reason for the system. it's for health issues period.

Tam, "Say Mike IF honest people have nothing to hide then why hasn't the US Cattle industry implement a National system like ours that can trace US cattle back to the place they were born"

Why pay for something you don't need?

Sandhusker said:
Tam, "Say Mike IF honest people have nothing to hide then why hasn't the US Cattle industry implement a National system like ours that can trace US cattle back to the place they were born"

We damned sure dont need one like Canada's..........good luck

Why don't you all track these cattle by starting with the last guy that owned them and work backwards? Or do these honest yanks not want to co-operate? When you've tracked them as far north as the 49th gives us a call and we'll put one of our best mounties on the case.

Sandy said:
Why don't you all track these cattle by starting with the last guy that owned them and work backwards? Or do these honest yanks not want to co-operate? When you've tracked them as far north as the 49th gives us a call and we'll put one of our best mounties on the case.

Sounds simple, doesn't it? Wonder why the USDA is having such a hard time. I really wonder why they don't seem to say anything on the deal...

USDA might have realized that the ID industry doesn't yet have technology available nor does USDA have a workable plan that would not put on an excessive burden and cost on the producers and the entire industry.

So what happens when two companies engineers get together and perfect 100% RFID tag reading and none of the rest of the companies can make it work???

I.D.ology Location Verification System Uses ScoringAg Internet Traceback

NewswireToday - /newswire/ - Sarasota, FL, United States, 12/19/2006 - I.D.ology and ScoringSystem, Inc. have launched a new mobile wireless. Location Verification System with the ScoringAg Internet Tracking and Data Storage database using GPS, and Internet FTP protocol for full traceability in real time.

The lightweight system combines wireless LightningROD Reader, handheld Computer, running Animal Trackers™ Software, with GPS, and Internet FTP into ScoringSystem's ScoringAg and ScoringContainers databases repository for up & down stream traceability I.D.ology, manufacturer of the LightningROD™ line of rugged mobile handheld RFID readers and software systems, today announced a new partnership with ScoringSystem, Inc. a data storage repository and systems designer to track the movement of animals, crops and container and any other agricultural products from field to fork using electronic identification inputs at all levels for absolute accuracy and to sustain traceability at the speed of commerce which is to say in real time.

All RFID tags and bar codes - as provided by authorized dealers – are imbedded with a unique identification number. The numbers allow agricultural livestock and food products to be tracked at all stages of production and to be located within seconds of the discovery of a disease outbreak resulting in greater food safety assurance for consumption and export. These programs are administered in Canada by the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency (CCIA) plus the ATQ in Quebec and in the USA by FDA – APHIS working together with NAIS in conjunction with private databases under the United States Animal Identification Plan. Livestock tagging in Canada became mandatory in January 2005 and will be required on animals in the U.S. by 2009. On all food products the FDA currently requires 24 hour traceback for each instance of food contamination.

"The 'Animal Trackers' system is an unique and cost-effective way to track both animals, produce and containers electronically, without the need to transcribe data by hand or to search through old records for crucial data to enable the pinpointing of a source of any food borne issues in accord with current FDA mandates. This system is adaptable to the entire commerce of moving food products whether live, in boxes, bales or container from any location on earth to any other location while tracing each step of the movement in real time.

This modular system enables comprehensive data gathering for additional value added and site certification as well as minimal data that only facilitates traceability of the items being moved. Operators may provide paper printout receipts as well as electronic instant records that are securely transmitted and housed in a universal repository that can be linked to any other database for even more comprehensive analysis. Generating unique transaction records that may be accompanied by a signature for each party involved in a transaction as well as the identifier for the item transported, which is uploaded to the secure ScoringSystem database each day results in comprehensive traceability in a timely manner. The transaction trail in the data base may be followed both upstream and downstream from any point of inquiry.

About I.D.ology

I.D.ology is focused on providing industry specific solutions incorporating RFID and barcodes with automatic data collection. I.D.ology designs and manufactures RFID readers to meet the needs of specific niche markets such as the highly portable, rugged wireless readers for truckers, ranchers, auction barns, feed yards and dairies. Its 'Animal Trackers' software brings together several electronic devices to streamline the gathering of data on the movement of animals, and food products of any sort from any point of origin to each destination. This completely mobile system provides the link between products and commerce.

About ScoringSystem

ScoringAg.com a Division of ScoringSystem Inc.is the traceback and traceup database system for agriculture products from field to consumer, featuring Site-Specific Recordkeeping™ and PIDC location code. ScoringContainers is another one of the many divisions of ScoringSystem, Inc. located in Sarasota, Florida USA. The companies are specialized in providing solutions with mobile data, via wireless PDAs, laptops, and Semacode-programmed Nokia, Siemens, and Sony Ericsson cell phones. Whether using RFID or barcodes for point-to-point traceup and traceback of all livestock, poultry, fish, ingredients source to destination including tracking transport containers. ScoringAg.com makes managing data easier - and does it in an extremely cost effective manner whether local or global.

For further information, please contact I.D.ology
Robert Kleemeier, I.D.ology
1-800-395-5585
Bob[.]id-ology.com

...you are right sandy ...the story leaves out the important factor as...who sold the cattle at the sale barn...i feed purchased calves myself...so for the feedlot owner to not to have realized these animals had ccia tags while in his lot ...seems highly improbable...

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Mike said:
Hilarious huh?

If you're hiding something I wouldn't want to turn it over either. :lol:
Say Mike IF honest people have nothing to hide then why hasn't the US Cattle industry implement a National system like ours that can trace US cattle back to the place they were born? :? Isn't it because your US producers don't want anyone to know where your cattle were raise as you might be held accountable for the cattle you raise? Let the trace back on disease die at the packer doors right Mike.
You are a hypocrite and this is nothing more than another example of Do as I say not as I'm willing to do myself.... :roll:

Tam- I disagree with that- shown the number of people that use and have used permanent hot iron brands as ID and signed affidavits with their own ranch eartags and records for years....

The main objection to the Mandatory National ID was that US citizens and US cattlemen hate any type of National mandate which takes away or restricts their freedom in any way and takes away States rights...

Also USDA went about it wrong from the start saying they were going to force it on the country- and give NCBA monopoly control of the system made it DOA....

But mainly its US cattlemen/ and US citizens as a whole are very indepndent and don't like being told by government they have to do anything.....

Weren't you the one that said only 15 to 20 States have a brand system? Which means the majority of US States don't ID their cattle, :roll:

Is this not the reason the Alabama cow could not be traced? NO ID SYSTEM, STATE OR OTHERWISE to hold ranchers accountable for the cattle they raise.

Maybe if SD had a STATE brand system there would have been a brand inspector that would have looked at those seven feeders and seen whether or not they carried a CAN.
But no system is in place in Eastern SD is there?
:roll:

Oldtimer, do you really think the US producers are unique in the idea of not wanting things mandated on them? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get a grip, nobody likes it and that is why some industries have the foresight to implement something that they can control and live with.

Maybe all those R-CALF legal funds could have been better spent on designing a system that you could live with. :shock: BUT your leaders decide it was more inportant to waste them on failed trade actions that only resulted in the US being found guilty of what you accused others of doing.

Do yourself and the US beef industry as a whole a favor Learn from the past and do something about the shortfalls within your system before you loose the ability to trade globally. Blaming Canada for your problems are not going to solve your problems.

Oldtimer said:
..... The main objection to the Mandatory National ID was that US citizens and US cattlemen hate any type of National mandate which takes away or restricts their freedom in any way and takes away States rights...

Also USDA went about it wrong from the start saying they were going to force it on the country- and give NCBA monopoly control of the system made it DOA

Canadians in the industry could have taken the route of the US - BUT - we (CCIA) chose to compromise and allow CFIA access to "the industry's" (CCIA) database when they have an investigation initiated by an animal testing positive for a reportable disease. Serious diseases are a great concern to Canadian Cattlemen and we realized that the government would have avenues (financial/manpower/experience/enforcement) available to them that we, in the cattle and beef industry, as individuals/groups/assoc. would not.

We have what you, the US cattlemen and US citizens wanted - independance and no government control.

And yet ..... because we have what you wanted some US Cattlemen are quite offended :???: :?

Hay Maker says:
We damned sure dont need one like Canada's..........good luck

Sandhusker says:

Mike says:
Hilarious huh?
If you're hiding something I wouldn't want to turn it over either.

..... What's the big deal? Tell them where the cattle came from so they can finish the investigation!

ocm says:
They (Canada) are claiming proprietary information. Maybe a legitimate claim, but makes you wonder.

Porker says: (in response to my statement that the database info is not public information)
,,***** SOOOO! you are saying that a BLACK angus calf with a ear tag is not legal information, your saying that a heifer with a tag number in a database is illegal info, your saying that the calfs born date is illegal information, then you had better keep those undocumated animals home. You surely can't drive your car down to the states with out a licence plate and who it was registered too,can YOU?

Your Canadian ID system was built to work without politics,WASN'T IT !

..... Their should be no mining of producer info. Or was this the way Canada's system was built??
.... then he did his usual sales pitch for ..... (everybody say it together now)

• And if Oldtimer has said it once, he's said it ???? times;
    _ paraphrasing_ Canada is not honoring the US import rules ......
    but he has yet to bring the part (clause) forward that applies to this issue of seven, healthy (reread my first paragraph), "misplaced" calves.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Weren't you the one that said only 15 to 20 States have a brand system? Which means the majority of US States don't ID their cattle, :roll:

Is this not the reason the Alabama cow could not be traced? NO ID SYSTEM, STATE OR OTHERWISE to hold ranchers accountable for the cattle they raise.

Maybe if SD had a STATE brand system there would have been a brand inspector that would have looked at those seven feeders and seen whether or not they carried a CAN.

Oldtimer, do you really think the US producers are unique in the idea of not wanting things mandated on them? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get a grip, nobody likes it and that is why some industries have the foresight to implement something that they can control and live with.

Maybe all those R-CALF legal funds could have been better spent on designing a system that you could live with. :shock: BUT your leaders decide it was more inportant to waste them on failed trade actions that only resulted in the US being found guilty of what you accused others of doing.

Do yourself and the US beef industry as a whole a favor Learn from the past and do something about the shortfalls within your system before you loose the ability to trade globally. Blaming Canada for your problems are not going to solve your problems.

You are smoke screening again Miss Tam,remember why the American cattle man lost the export markets........CANADA
Remember why there is a push for the NAIS............CANADA
Remember why we have stringent export regulations now.......CANADA
Remember why we need COUNTRY OF ORGIN LABELING..........CANADA
Remember why we need the Captive supply reform act...........CANADA...............I could go on and on but why bother arguing with a canuckle head is like washing your feet with your boots on,they either dont care or dont understand..........IM thinking its a little of both ?.......................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

You are smoke screening again Miss Tam,

1.remember why the American cattle man lost the export markets........CANADA
2. Remember why there is a push for the NAIS............CANADA
3. Remember why we have stringent export regulations now.......CANADA
4. Remember why we need COUNTRY OF ORGIN LABELING..........CANADA
5. Remember why we need the Captive supply reform act...........CANADA...............

I could go on and on but why bother arguing with a canuckle head is like washing your feet with your boots on,they either dont care or dont understand..........IM thinking its a little of both ?.......................good luck

1.Remember why the Canadian cattlemen lost their export markets in 1993 "the UK" but also remember why the Canadian producers got it back in 1993? Because we proved something to our trading partners which was we could find all the imported UK cattle and dispose of them, unlike the USA in 2003. Remember why we also started getting our export markets back in 2003 could it be because we had a system in place to find all native cattle involved and the OIE recognized that.
Could the fact you didn't get yours back in 2003 be because the imported cow was in your human food chain? and your system couldn't find the rest of the cattle imported? Weren't you told because of the intergrated nature of the North American industry that you were to stop looking and clean up the mess that the OIE recognized to be in the US because of the UK cattle you also imported and couldn't locate, not to mention the over 100 years of freely trading cattle and feed with Canada? Was the OIE not proven to be right about BSE being in the US native herd when the Texas and Alabama cows were found? Could the Texas and Alabama cows investigations ending with no definitive answers be another reason you didn't get some of your exports back? Face it Haymaker it is long past the time you can blame your lost export markets on Canadians. :wink:
2. Could it be because it took weeks to investigate the Texas and Alabama cows and the USDA was forced to end the one investigation with a statement like we couldn't find the birth place of the Alabama cow which was not surprizing seems there was no identifing markers tatoos or brands to aid us in our investigation. And now with the 7 healthy strays in SD, we hear Eastern South Dakota is a NO brand area so there is no brand inspection done on cattle in that area to see if they are carrying a CAN or not!!!! Could this be the reason for NAIS now Haymaker.? Could it be the USDA is tired of ending investigations with egg on their faces and having only one group to blame and that is the blind US producers that think a hit and miss 100 year old brand system will work to trace reportable diseases nation wide in the fast pace global world you want to trade in? Again blaming Canada for your NEEDs to keep trading in a global enviroment is way past it's time, the Alabama cow proved that!!!! :wink:
3. TOTALLY WRONG you have more stringent export rules because your trading parnters watched the USDA stumble through every investigation in your country pertaining to BSE due to lack of cooporation from the US beef industry. ADD to that they have witnessed the in-fighting and unwillingness of your beef industry to work together to solve the shortfalls within your system. As some of you think blaming others ( the USDA and the Canadian industry) for your problems is the way to take the attention away from what you are not willing to do as it might restrict your personal rights if you have to ID your damn cattle, and follow USDA negoitated export rules. Time to take responsibility for your industries shortfalls and stop blaming other Haymaker!!! :wink:
4. my guess is a marketing sales pitch which if implemented could backfire the next time the US has a BSE positive cow and the investigation again ends with no definitive answers. :wink:
5. Packers was my guess but Canada seems to take the blame for all your problems don't we. :wink: BTW Haymaker was that not the act that delt with packers forward contracting and entering into market agreements on US cattle behind close doors so the true market prices in the US were affected? :?

and trying to make a R-CALFer take responsibility for the shortfalls in the US industry they were a big part of is like trying to tell a two year old hiped up on sugar to go to bed. You can do if but it's not going to do any good until he comes down off his high horse. :roll:

Canada's refusal to assist in the investigation is no hide off my rear--It is Canada that is messing in its own nest....

If you want to export your quarantined cattle into another country you don't slap that country in the face and tell them to take a flying leap when they ask for assistance enforcing that quarantine......And then turn right around and expect them to expand the number and type of cattle that can be imported.... :roll: :(

OT- Perhaps you would quote from a reliable source where Canada has refused to co-operate in the investigation. All information on every last animal exported to the US is presented at the border and would be expected to be file. Our traceback system's integrity lies in the security of producer information and is only to be used in event of reportable health concerns. It was never set up to account for fraud/ incompetence in a foreign state's domain and that is all that this issue boils down to. Everything needed for the investigation is already available and readily accessible to whatever authorities are involved. Is it possible that the US has haphazard cattle inspections (state by state & even county by county regulations ) that are virtually impossible to use in livestock tracking. You continualy gripe about breaching a quarantine........ that's a crock.Canada and the US are both rated as minimal risk countries for BSE and there is absolutely NO difference in the safety or health risk of Canadian cattle over native American cattle. Actualy Canadian livestock are probably a better bet; we have a superior SRM feed ban policy (soon to be enhanced even higher), a National and universal animal health protocol, a proven mandatory traceback system, and an animal inspection program that works!

Cowsense, "Actualy Canadian livestock are probably a better bet; we have a superior SRM feed ban policy (soon to be enhanced even higher), a National and universal animal health protocol, a proven mandatory traceback system, and an animal inspection program that works!"

You must not be aware of 4 post ban BSE cases that have been found up there. Statisticaly, you are a far worse bet.

Tam said:

Tam since you think this is so important I'll give you the exact figures- this site says 41 States have brand laws in place....

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/brands/brand.htm

Still doesn't change the fact that USDA/US cattlemen had counted on the Canadian governments/cattlemens good faith to help them institute and operate the Border Rule/quarantine-- and now Canada is flipping over backwards....

But the topper is Canadians have the gall to say in one breath they won't help but still in the next one suggest the US should go ahead and greatly weaken the quarantine by increasing the number of cattle and type allowed under the border rule....

Miss Tam ,I suppose I havent been keeping up again,as I was'nt aware Canada had regained her export markets,as a matter of fact I thought the USA was the only market you have ? All the rest were insignificant ?could you post some numbers on your exports ?
And the time I quit blaming Canada for lost markets is when we regain them.
The time I want to see live cattle crossing the border is after we have a means of tracking imports,the latest incidence proves this neccessary,also M COOL should be enacted before we open the border,I believe even you will agree this is only fair................good luck

R-CALF talking point number 1:

The U.S. should not give additional access to the U.S. market until the U.S. fully regains the share of the global export market it has lost since 2003.

Please big government - come save us from competition. And R-CALF isn't a protectionist organization? :lol:

Texan said:

The U.S. should not give additional access to the U.S. market until the U.S. fully regains the share of the global export market it has lost since 2003.

Please big government - come save us from competition. And R-CALF isn't a protectionist organization? :lol:

But you and your buddy boys stand up and cheer when government tells Creekstone and others what they can market and export - like BSE tested meat to markets that want BSE tested.... :roll:

Texan said:

NCBA said the same thing. Are they protectionist, too?

Latest posts