• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF USA to Make 2nd Appearance on RFD-TV

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
R-CALF USA to Make 2nd Appearance on RFD-TV
8 p.m. EDT on Monday, May 2



R-CALF USA will make its second appearance on RFD-TV during a one-hour simulcast at 8 p.m. EDT on Monday, May 2, at the RFD-TV studios in Nashville, Tenn. The live call-in show will be rebroadcast at 4 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, May 3rd, and again at noon EDT on Tuesday, May 3.



RFD-TV is a network serving the interests of rural viewers and its programs offer viewers the opportunity to listen to in-depth discussions on hot issues with leaders from various organizations in the agriculture industry. RFD-TV is broadcast via satellite. On the DISH Network, viewers can watch the program on Channel 9409, and on DIRECTV, viewers can tune in to Channel 379 to catch the show.



The first half hour of “R-CALF USA Live!” will feature discussion of the organization’s positions on various issues important to independent U.S. cattle producers. During the second half of the show, R-CALF USA invites viewers to call in and ask questions. The toll-free call-in number will not be announced to viewers until airtime on Monday.

Speaking on behalf of the organization will be R-CALF USA President and Founder Leo McDonnell; R-CALF USA Region V (Texas) Director Chuck Kiker; and, R-CALF USA CEO Bill Bullard. Hosting the program is R-CALF USA Communications Coordinator Shae Dodson.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Looks to me as if R-CALF is taking not chances of being asked any hard questions from a non member host even.
 

GLA

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Location
Stratford, Texas
I know Shae Dodson and she is a class gal....don't really understand how she got mixed up with this bunch, but a job is a job.

Just hope the folks she interviews on May 2 are smarter than the men they had manning the booth at the 3I Show in Garden City, KS. One thing for sure, they did know how to argue and tell you that your opinion was wrong. It was a waste of time to try and discuss anything with them!
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
GLA said:
I know Shae Dodson and she is a class gal....don't really understand how she got mixed up with this bunch, but a job is a job.

Just hope the folks she interviews on May 2 are smarter than the men they had manning the booth at the 3I Show in Garden City, KS. One thing for sure, they did know how to argue and tell you that your opinion was wrong. It was a waste of time to try and discuss anything with them!

I was at a trade show in the States and the Montana Farmers Union guy has handing out pamphlets and papers about the border and consumer confidence in the US. I asked him to explain how the US could expect to keep consumer confidence when R-CALF which the MFU supports is telling the consumers that the safeguards that Canada have in place which are the same ones the US use are inadaquate to protect consumers. And if he throught any consumer will be eating beef if R-CALF proves the safeguard they use are inadaquate. He looked at me and answered that is a good question I don't really know. Some times the guys in the front lines in those booths know so little it is scarey. I think they are asked to hand out papers and smile but they don't even read what is on the paper. This guy looked as if his leg was caught in a bear trap and all he wanted to do was run and hide instead of answering a few questions about the garbage he was handing out.
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Tam said:
GLA said:
I know Shae Dodson and she is a class gal....don't really understand how she got mixed up with this bunch, but a job is a job.

Just hope the folks she interviews on May 2 are smarter than the men they had manning the booth at the 3I Show in Garden City, KS. One thing for sure, they did know how to argue and tell you that your opinion was wrong. It was a waste of time to try and discuss anything with them!

I was at a trade show in the States and the Montana Farmers Union guy has handing out pamphlets and papers about the border and consumer confidence in the US. I asked him to explain how the US could expect to keep consumer confidence when R-CALF which the MFU supports is telling the consumers that the safeguards that Canada have in place which are the same ones the US use are inadaquate to protect consumers. And if he throught any consumer will be eating beef if R-CALF proves the safeguard they use are inadaquate. He looked at me and answered that is a good question I don't really know. Some times the guys in the front lines in those booths know so little it is scarey. I think they are asked to hand out papers and smile but they don't even read what is on the paper. This guy looked as if his leg was caught in a bear trap and all he wanted to do was run and hide instead of answering a few questions about the garbage he was handing out.



The man you were trying to intimidate was just being nice to you MISS TAM,you run around calling this garbage and that garbage while you ask slanted questions and spout half truths.Listen closely, the safe guards in the UNITED STATES and canada are not the same .........we have and we are compling with the feed ban................good luckPS watch the program tomorrow nite maybe you will learn something.
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Reader your spectulation is true to an extent,the fact that CANADA has 4 cases and the good ole USA has none is the basis of my opinion,and will remain untill conditions warrant change...............good luck
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Haymaker - The most likely answers to the question "Why has Canada had 4 cases of BSE" are:

-- their feed ban was less stringently enforced

Reader, just wondering what info./facts you have to support this? Or am I misunderstanding your post again?

With the MBM both countries imported, could it be that Canada got the dirty end of the stick?
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Murgen - I honestly don't know why Canada has had 4 cases. Since Haymaker said or implied it was because of the feed ban not being enforced as well in Canada, I thought he had research to back up the statement. I was providing some possible reasons which are not mutually exclusive. It could be another reason as well, just as you stated. Just serendipity

Have you not read the numerous posts made on this site about the Canadian feed ban compliance? Throughout the last 15 years?

Isn't it now, where you state that you were not invited on the trip to Canada by the USDA and OIE, which you distrust?

Aren't these organizations also the ones that you want to put more restrictions and regulations on the beef industry?

More government control, but less trust? Are you sure you drive a scooter and not a VW van? Just a question Reader, don't read anything into my question!
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Did I say I distrusted the OIE? Au contraire. And as for USDA, I stand on record as saying that 80% of them were working diligently to protect us and promote US products. I question the politicization of the regulatory agencies from the TOP down

Reader, do you believe the past USDA employees who have now stated that BSE is a problem in the US?

Is the "politicization" strong enough to keep employees quiet, but after they retire, to make them whistleblowers?

I'm sure you can answer this question with all your research on BSE, CJD and linquistics!
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,609
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
reader (the Second) said:
[
Also, I believe the "expert trip" was with NCBA members.

Are you saying that NCBA could not possibly have any people who are experts on BSE? Don't bet on it!

However, as well as possibly having experts along, they talked to Canadian experts in various fields to have their questions about how Canada has handled BSE related problems.

MRJ
 

rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
MRJ said:
reader (the Second) said:
[
Also, I believe the "expert trip" was with NCBA members.

Are you saying that NCBA could not possibly have any people who are experts on BSE? Don't bet on it!

However, as well as possibly having experts along, they talked to Canadian experts in various fields to have their questions about how Canada has handled BSE related problems.

MRJ

Who were the experts? Show us some of their work.
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,609
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
rancher said:
MRJ said:
reader (the Second) said:
[
Also, I believe the "expert trip" was with NCBA members.

Are you saying that NCBA could not possibly have any people who are experts on BSE? Don't bet on it!

However, as well as possibly having experts along, they talked to Canadian experts in various fields to have their questions about how Canada has handled BSE related problems.

MRJ

Who were the experts? Show us some of their work.

I do not know that any "experts" from NCBA went to Canada, only that you shouldn't bet that NCBA has no experts.

I believe the NCBA group met with Canadian officials who obviously have expertise in their field of regulatory work.

MRJ
 

rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
MRJ said:
rancher said:
MRJ said:
Who were the experts? Show us some of their work.

I do not know that any "experts" from NCBA went to Canada, only that you shouldn't bet that NCBA has no experts.

I believe the NCBA group met with Canadian officials who obviously have expertise in their field of regulatory work.

MRJ

I posted a membership e-mail from NCBA saying they were sending a team of experts to Canada, I listed all the ones going too. So were they experts at what?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
rancher said:
MRJ said:
rancher said:
I do not know that any "experts" from NCBA went to Canada, only that you shouldn't bet that NCBA has no experts.

I believe the NCBA group met with Canadian officials who obviously have expertise in their field of regulatory work.

MRJ

I posted a membership e-mail from NCBA saying they were sending a team of experts to Canada, I listed all the ones going too. So were they experts at what?

MRJ is having selective memory again :lol:
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
reader (the Second) said:
Murgen said:
Haymaker - The most likely answers to the question "Why has Canada had 4 cases of BSE" are:

-- their feed ban was less stringently enforced

Reader, just wondering what info./facts you have to support this? Or am I misunderstanding your post again?

With the MBM both countries imported, could it be that Canada got the dirty end of the stick?

Murgen - I honestly don't know why Canada has had 4 cases. Since Haymaker said or implied it was because of the feed ban not being enforced as well in Canada, I thought he had research to back up the statement. I was providing some possible reasons which are not mutually exclusive. It could be another reason as well, just as you stated. Just serendipity.

Haymaker said or implied it was because of the feed ban not being enforced as well in Canada, I thought he had research to back up the statement.

Thanks for the chuckle Reader 2. Always nice to start the day with a good laugh.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Why is it so hard for some to comprehend that Canada imported some UK cattle back in the 80's in which at least two had BSE. One Canada found in 1993 but the other/others went into the pre-feed ban feed system undetected and was processed into legal at the time feed. That feed was eaten by at least 4 cows and now those cows are showing up because Canada tested the catagory of cattle that will find them the 4D cattle and according to the slaughter plant owners own admission by fluke the US found one. The question is why isn't the US finding BSE maybe because they haven't had another fluke in the testing of non downer slaughter plant test samples. The bigger question is if Canada has as serious of BSE problem as R-CALF and other think we do why hasn't the US found any other Canadian cattle with BSE. We all know their are hundreds of thousands of Canadian cattle living somewhere in the US and millions have gone through the US system in the past. Maybe because of the same reason they are not finding any US born and bred cases because of their surveillance program.
 

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Tam...We all know their are hundreds of thousands of Canadian cattle living somewhere in the US and millions have gone through the US system in the past.

U.S. Department of Agriculture data show 11.8 million Canadian cattle entered the United States between 1994 and 2003. Over 9.3 million were imported for immediate slaughter, never entering the U.S. cattle herd. Another 1.9 million were feeder cattle, all of which likely were slaughtered before 2004. This leaves only 526,000 breeding cattle. But 456,000 of these are dairy cattle, each with a productive life of about four years. Dairy cattle imported prior to 1999 likely have been culled from the herd, eliminating another 150,000 cattle. Therefore, a reasonable estimate of Canadian cattle that may still be in the U.S. cattle herd today is only 306,000 head, less than four-tenths of 1 percent of the United States' 94.1 million-head herd.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Tam, I certainly detect a degree of animosity toward the US because we haven't had a indigenous case of BSE and it seems to have consumed you.

For the record: I sincerely wish that neither the US nor Canada had any BSE whatsoever, and hope that there are no more cases found by either country, ever.
I would not wish it on any cattlemen, anywhere. It can do nothing but harm the cattle/beef industry wherever they may be.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Tommy said:
Tam...We all know their are hundreds of thousands of Canadian cattle living somewhere in the US and millions have gone through the US system in the past.

U.S. Department of Agriculture data show 11.8 million Canadian cattle entered the United States between 1994 and 2003. Over 9.3 million were imported for immediate slaughter, never entering the U.S. cattle herd. Another 1.9 million were feeder cattle, all of which likely were slaughtered before 2004. This leaves only 526,000 breeding cattle. But 456,000 of these are dairy cattle, each with a productive life of about four years. Dairy cattle imported prior to 1999 likely have been culled from the herd, eliminating another 150,000 cattle. Therefore, a reasonable estimate of Canadian cattle that may still be in the U.S. cattle herd today is only 306,000 head, less than four-tenths of 1 percent of the United States' 94.1 million-head herd.

Yes, Tommy and we just happen to have some US "feeder" heifers in our cow herd so can you say all 1.9 million feeders were for sure slaughtered? Or could some guy have brought some in as feeders but they were just to nice to not be sold for replacement heifers. could throw your count out by a little now couldn't it.

If we have the kind of problem you think we do Tommy why has the US only found one BSE case in all the Canadian cattle that have already gone through the US system. quoting the number that have already gone through the US system with only one positive only shows that we either don't have the kind of problem you think we do or some went through your system undetected Tommy which is it ?
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
reader (the Second) said:
Glad to oblige Bill. Why DID Canada have 4 BSE cases, o wise one?

The question should be why hasn't the US had any native born cases while Canada has had 4. With a looser feed ban and the same importation practices from Europe I suspect that given time it will show up in the US as well. Until then people will continue to deny and dismiss.
 

Latest posts

Top