• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-calfers say it ain't so!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
R-CALF taken to task over Canadian cattle
By Jim Gransbery, The Billings Gazette and Journal Staff

BILLINGS, Mont. - Some members of R-CALF USA, which opposes opening the U.S. border to Canadian cattle because of mad cow disease in that country, have bought and sold cattle in Canada since the border was closed in May 2003, according to a Canadian feedlot operator.

Rick Paskal, a feedlot operator in Lethbridge, Alberta, told the Canadian Press last week that "members (of R-CALF USA) recognized an economic opportunity for their own gain. They were absolutely not concerned about food safety."

He told the Billings Gazette that the R-CALF members were being hypocrites for playing both sides of the border.

R-CALF USA president Leo McDonnell Jr. of Columbus, Mont., called the criticism off base. "This is a red herring," McDonnell said. "Or there is something I am missing here."

McDonnell said R-CALF members have done business in Canada for years, as have other U.S. cattlemen who are not members of the Billings-based R-CALF USA, or Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund United Stockgrowers of America.

McDonnell said he did not see any contradiction in the actions of those members.

The U.S. border was closed to all Canadian cattle and beef after an Alberta cow was found with mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, in May 2003. Later that year, USDA relaxed the rules to allow importation of processed Canadian beef from animals younger than 30 months old.

A Washington state cow found with BSE in December 2003 was tracked to Alberta, and BSE was confirmed in two more Alberta cows this January.

R-CALF member Lloyd DeBruycker of Dutton said last Tuesday that he has about 150 head of feeder cattle in Canada.

He said he did not see any contradiction owning and selling cattle in Canada and opposing live imports.

DeBruycker said that last year, a Canadian packer refused to slaughter the cattle he had in a Canadian feedlot. He said the packer refused not only because he was a member of R-CALF but because "they were not killing for any Americans."

Norm Haaland, a Billings feedlot operator, said that last May, he had to sell his fed steers in Canada to another feeder at "half of their market." The cattle were eventually sold and slaughtered. He has no cattle in Canada now, he said.

Haaland said he found no contradiction on those cattle going into the beef market, with at least some of it coming south as boxed beef.

"They should have been glad we were up there," he said.

Both DeBruycker and Haaland have donated money to R-CALF and its legal efforts.

Haaland said he had given less than $10,000. DeBruycker said his family had given more than $10,000.

"Not just for the suit, but for their overall use," he said. "We have given $1 a head for the cattle we own, just like the beef check-off. R-CALF has done a tremendous job of getting the grassroots opinions out.

"I hope the government and USDA start paying attention to the people, the ranchers, out in the country," he said.

Tom Lane, a rancher and cattle buyer in Livingston, said he has traded cattle in Canada in the past but doesn't have cattle there now.

"We contracted for some yearlings last summer, but we did not get them because the border did not open."

Lane related a confrontation he had last summer with a Canadian producer at a sale yard in Lethbridge.

"I had an R-CALF sticker on my pickup," Lane said. "This guy really got in my face, and it almost came to blows." Lane's wife is Canadian, and they were in Canada visiting her family, he said. Lane said he has donated about $1,200 to R-CALF.

Ken Knuppe of Buffalo Gap, S.D., president of the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association, said he doesn't know anything directly about the issue but that he doesn't see an economic benefit from owning cattle in Canada.

Knuppe said anyone who owns cattle in Canada now must sell them to packers in Canada at the lower prices they bring in that country. He said any beef processed from the animals brought to the United States would be shipped in and sold by the meatpackers.

The South Dakota Stockgrowers Association is affiliated with R-CALF.

R-CALF earlier this month persuaded a federal judge to issue a preliminary injunction preventing the U.S. Department of Agriculture from opening the border as planned March 7 to Canadian live cattle younger than 30 months old.

During the court hearing, a Justice Department attorney for the Justice Department representing the USDA acknowledged that the amount of boxed, de-boned muscle cuts coming into the United States since August 2003 was 96 percent of the trade that existed before the border was closed.
 

SASH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Manitoba
Norm Haaland, a Billings feedlot operator, said that last May, he had to sell his fed steers in Canada to another feeder at "half of their market."

:cry: :cry: :cry: Geez, let me get out my violin.
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
SASH said:
Norm Haaland, a Billings feedlot operator, said that last May, he had to sell his fed steers in Canada to another feeder at "half of their market."

:cry: :cry: :cry: Geez, let me get out my violin.

:cry2: Perhaps a little cheese to go with the whine...as well
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
It was not that long ago that the R-Calf supporters on this site asked WHERE IS THE PROOF, PROVE IT, YOU HAVE NO PROOF that R-Calf members owned any cattle on feed in Canada.

What say you now?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Personally- I hope them fellows learned a lesson... Maybe next time they will spend their money with US cattlemen that appreciate when they inject money into the market, rather than Canadian cattlemen that cry and whine about it........
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
OT- if they would have made a profit on those cattle, you would have been elated, because they would have put their profits back into the US cattle industry. Don't you wish they had had that opportunity?
 

frenchie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
Location
nw manitoba
Oldtimer said:
Personally- I hope them fellows learned a lesson... Maybe next time they will spend their money with US cattlemen that appreciate when they inject money into the market, rather than Canadian cattlemen that cry and whine about it........

a lot of r- calfer whining And crying going on here OT ...sucks to be on the receiving end eh boys.




Bill=DeBruycker said that last year, a Canadian packer refused to slaughter the cattle he had in a Canadian feedlot. He said the packer refused not only because he was a member of R-CALF but because "they were not killing for any Americans."

So what we are supposed to feel sorry for a guy that had to wait in line for the packers like just everyone else.. :?: .

bill=

Norm Haaland, a Billings feedlot operator, said that last May, he had to sell his fed steers in Canada to another feeder at "half of their market."

"They should have been glad we were up there," he said.

Whos whining here Ot ,what a shame he had to play the market like everyone else..

bill=Lane related a confrontation he had last summer with a Canadian producer at a sale yard in Lethbridge.

"I had an R-CALF sticker on my pickup," Lane said. "This guy really got in my face, and it almost came to blows

Just what did this man expect ....WELCOME WAGON ...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Murgen said:
OT- if they would have made a profit on those cattle, you would have been elated, because they would have put their profits back into the US cattle industry. Don't you wish they had had that opportunity?


I bet they think twice before investing in cattle in a foreign country again... I'm glad to see the word being spread about the inequities and liabilities of foreign investments.....
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
Murgen said:
OT- if they would have made a profit on those cattle, you would have been elated, because they would have put their profits back into the US cattle industry. Don't you wish they had had that opportunity?


I bet they think twice before investing in cattle in a foreign country again... I'm glad to see the word being spread about the inequities and liabilities of foreign investments.....

Funny you should mention inequities as that is exactly what your much praised R-Calf peers tried to take advantage of in this case. An inequity they perpetuated but at least now you have the PROOF oldtimer. Pretty hard to dispute when it is out of a Montana paper isn't it.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
OT- Maybe even the R-calf members will notice about foriegn investment when it comes to others buying american "products" I don't hear the australians crying about other countries buying "in"
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Murgen said:
OT- if they would have made a profit on those cattle, you would have been elated, because they would have put their profits back into the US cattle industry. Don't you wish they had had that opportunity?


I bet they think twice before investing in cattle in a foreign country again... I'm glad to see the word being spread about the inequities and liabilities of foreign investments.....

Funny you should mention inequities as what that is exactly what your much praised R-Calf peers did in this case. Tried to take advantage of an inequity they perpetuated. At least now you have the PROOF oldtimer. Pretty hard to dispute when it is out of a Montana paper isn't it.

Bill- its old news-- been known for quite some time down here- thing is as it was not felt to be that big of deal- not by me anyway... Not like it was Leo or Bill- or that it was R-CALF funds used--None named are officials of R-CALF- some NCBA members did the same thing along with Farm Bureau and Farmers Union members-groups that also have opposed the border opening-- same as some who own Canadian cattle are Republicans and some are Democrats- might even be an Independant or a Greenparty member...

Its being pushed now again by Paskal and the boys because of the current law suit and border questions.... But did you ever ask Paskal why he or any of the other Canadian cattlemen sold to these vile, evil people that put money into the Canadian market? Does Canada not want any US money invested in buying their cattle - period?

I just hope more of these feeders and big money investors behind these feedlots learn how much safer it is to invest in US cattle, rather than play the game of gambling with foreign cattle in foreign lots......
 

Bull Burger

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
209
Reaction score
0
Location
Fruited Plains of western SD
Oldtimer said:
Bill- its old news-- been known for quite some time down here- thing is as it was not felt to be that big of deal- not by me anyway... Not like it was Leo or Bill- or that it was R-CALF funds used--None named are officials of R-CALF- some NCBA members did the same thing along with Farm Bureau and Farmers Union members-groups that also have opposed the border opening-- same as some who own Canadian cattle are Republicans and some are Democrats- might even be an Independant or a Greenparty member...

Oldtimer, we have to keep you honest here. Where did you come across the information about the NCBA, FB, and FU members? Or did it just float across the keyboard? :)
 

canadian angus

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
760
Reaction score
0
Location
Northwest Saskatchewan
Very sorry to say the I actively sold semen on Debrukers bulls. Believe me when I have someone in the future wanting semen from a known R-Calfer supporter. He will have to buy it from someone else.

Canadian Angus
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bull Burger said:
Oldtimer said:
Bill- its old news-- been known for quite some time down here- thing is as it was not felt to be that big of deal- not by me anyway... Not like it was Leo or Bill- or that it was R-CALF funds used--None named are officials of R-CALF- some NCBA members did the same thing along with Farm Bureau and Farmers Union members-groups that also have opposed the border opening-- same as some who own Canadian cattle are Republicans and some are Democrats- might even be an Independant or a Greenparty member...

Oldtimer, we have to keep you honest here. Where did you come across the information about the NCBA, FB, and FU members? Or did it just float across the keyboard? :)

Well Bull I'm sure that there were more than just R-CALF members owning cattle in Canada- I happen to personally know NCBA members that own cattle in Canada, along with some others that I don't know what organization they belong to........
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
canadian angus said:
Very sorry to say the I actively sold semen on Debrukers bulls. Believe me when I have someone in the future wanting semen from a known R-Calfer supporter. He will have to buy it from someone else.

Canadian Angus

Canadian Angus- Do you know if DeBruycker offered a purchase deal on calves sired by his bulls? I know a few years ago DeBruyckers was one of the investors in Future Beef- and if you purchased bulls from them or used their genetics, they offered a buyback thru Future Beef...
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
I doubt if he did up here -the semen that Canadian Angus was talking about was priced a bit too dear for commercial men to use.
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
:) Canadian\American, Rcalf\NCBA, all just a bunch of dogs like me trying to survive. The one I like is that Debruker was turned down by a Canadian packer. What bloody Canadian packer was this - Cargil or Tyson?

The hounds of BSEville all come out when opportunity in lit up by a full moon.

I'd like to moon everyone here tonight :roll: :shock: but there is no icon for a moon. :help:
 

USgal-In-Manitoba

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba
Oldtimer said:
Personally- I hope them fellows learned a lesson... Maybe next time they will spend their money with US cattlemen that appreciate when they inject money into the market, rather than Canadian cattlemen that cry and whine about it........

OT,

Cant you see that Canadians are not opposed to the US Greenback, we actually welcome you to spend it here in Canada. We're not crying or ordering any cheese to go with that whine. It was a gamgle for the US cattleman to buy feeder or any cattle for that matter up here before the border was supposed to open this month. I have no pitty for them. It's really simple. Don't take the risk and gamble if you can't afford to take the loss.

US Gal~
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
I bet they think twice before investing in cattle in a foreign country again... I'm glad to see the word being spread about the inequities and liabilities of foreign investments.....

Funny you should mention inequities as what that is exactly what your much praised R-Calf peers did in this case. Tried to take advantage of an inequity they perpetuated. At least now you have the PROOF oldtimer. Pretty hard to dispute when it is out of a Montana paper isn't it.

Bill- its old news-- been known for quite some time down here- thing is as it was not felt to be that big of deal- not by me anyway... Not like it was Leo or Bill- or that it was R-CALF funds used--None named are officials of R-CALF- some NCBA members did the same thing along with Farm Bureau and Farmers Union members-groups that also have opposed the border opening-- same as some who own Canadian cattle are Republicans and some are Democrats- might even be an Independant or a Greenparty member...

Its being pushed now again by Paskal and the boys because of the current law suit and border questions.... But did you ever ask Paskal why he or any of the other Canadian cattlemen sold to these vile, evil people that put money into the Canadian market? Does Canada not want any US money invested in buying their cattle - period?

I just hope more of these feeders and big money investors behind these feedlots learn how much safer it is to invest in US cattle, rather than play the game of gambling with foreign cattle in foreign lots......

Of course its old news. Canadians have been telling you this for some time and I doubt very much that Rick phoned up the paper begging for an interview. We fully realise the benefits of trade unlike you, of course we appreciate US money coming into Canada.
If you think it is safer to invest in US cattle I wish you all the best when your next staggering cow comes to town.
 

Latest posts

Top