• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
We just had a heck of a storm roll in. It rained really hard and we checked 3 different gages within 2 miles of each other. They read 1 inch, 2 inches, and 1.4 inches. Not real sure how much we got, but it finally ran some water. Hopefully some of the dams caught a little. We were lucky and didn't have any wind or hail, but some areas weren't so lucky. Mobridge got big winds and took the roof off some buildings, dropped trees, and took one of the last drive in theaters in the state down.

While I love the moisture- luckily we missed most of the thunderstorms that went both west and east of us.... Too many tornados and hailstorms....Son in law was in Choteau- and lost his windshield to the hail...

Glad you guys got just rain....

Radar is showing rain/storms here in Valentine, but no rain at my house yet..just wind! Got my fingers and toes both crossed! lol (makes it hard to type too..lol)

It pretty much missed us. We got maybe a tenth, but still better then nothing. Amazing how the grass in the sandhills responds to a slight shower.

LazyWP said:
It pretty much missed us. We got maybe a tenth, but still better then nothing. Amazing how the grass in the sandhills responds to a slight shower.

Join the c-c-c-club. :(

Two tenths in the guage. It sure does look greener and smell fresher, so things are looking up. :)

We got just over 2" in the last few days. Creeks are roaring, dugouts are full, and the country is looking very lush. Sure makes ranching easier when you get timely moisture. Hopefully the moisture we've had this spring drowns out any potential hopper issues!

We are in Oklahoma and Kansas, but a call home relates we had an inch and seven tenths last night with hail, but it did much more good than damage!

We only got .2 but every little bit helps. Especially with all the wind
we have had. :x I heard that Wheatland, Wyoming had a tornado
yesterday and it took out 7 homes. They did get a lot of moisture
with it which that part was good. They too, were very dry.

We are forcast to have severe thunderstorms this afternoon.
We could do without those, but it's just part of life.

Shortgrass said:
We are in Oklahoma and Kansas, but a call home relates we had an inch and seven tenths last night with hail, but it did much more good than damage!

I am so happy for you Shortgrass! :D You guys have needed that rain for awhile now and it couldn't happen to a better fella! :D We are burning up out here. Southern Utah has several major fires taking out big chunks of timber and thousands of acres of range. Around here, it is scary dry and one dry lightning storm could blow up into a nightmare. Oh' the joys of the desert! :D It'll rain again. Til then and after then, the good Lord has my trust. :D

We got .83" last night. Pretty strong wind, but not damaging. Lots of lightning. Good thing there was some rain!!!
A guage at working pens out in a pasture showed over 2", but not sure how long ago it was emptied, probably about a week, and there were showers in the area during that time, with none right here.

We have been blessed to get rain enough to keep the grass growing some....and just when we needed it desperately. The grass is doing ok, but no runaway. A week of hot winds with no rain and we will be hurting pretty badly. Grasshoppers seem to be thriving! We need more turkeys! They sure are enjoying those hoppers.

mrj

Thunderstorm hit northeast MT last night just after dark..Some folks got hit with hail- but luckily we didn't- just a little wind and rain... Reports of an inch to inch and half of rain thruout the county- and its still raining lightly...

We got .3 but the folks south of us got .8. The hay is shot for the
most part. We have one field that has Intermediate wheat grass in it and
that hasn't started to head as the crested and broam grass. Does
anyone know about Intermediate wheat grass? Like "will it still
make hay if it keeps up these little showers?"

Its rained here off and on for the whole weekend... Raining again now- and predicted to rain tonite.. We're up to 1.3 inches for the weekend- but some areas got much more...Several creeks are running out of their banks...

I just was looking at the weather service radar and it appears about 2/3 of Montana is getting some form of moisture... :D

Have a turn out date on the 11th. Had a liner booked but saw the forecast and phoned the ground load guy, I can shuttle cows through the muddy yard with my little trailer and load him on the road. My cattle yard is now under water so I guess I'll rain check him too.
The good news is I haven't sorted yet and we need the moisture, we've been North of it allspring. North-East Saskatchewan.

Well I hope you guy's that need the moisture are getting what you need, I shouldn't complain to much, our pastures are nice and green but with 28 inches of rain sense the first of the year I am starting to wounder if we will get the hay cut before it is over ripe. Walking though one of the hay fields today with three in. of water on my boots reminds me of gcreeks hay meadow last spring.

starvin'dog said:
Have a turn out date on the 11th. Had a liner booked but saw the forecast and phoned the ground load guy, I can shuttle cows through the muddy yard with my little trailer and load him on the road. My cattle yard is now under water so I guess I'll rain check him too.
The good news is I haven't sorted yet and we need the moisture, we've been North of it allspring. North-East Saskatchewan.

You can defiantly have some of our excess rain this year,we got another 3.1 inchs of rain this weekend,and they say we are suppose to get more the end of this week and all of next week.I sure wish we could just send this rain to you guys that really need.

We got .27" Saturday night. A little hail, but no apparent damage. There was quite a bit of wind damage to the west. Hoop buildings took quite a hit in the area west of here, trees, and such, too, in Philip.

mrj

Latest posts