• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Well we finally got some rain :D :D Got just over an inch since monday. Most of it (.60") came down in about 40 minutes. Lots of thunder and lightning with all of it, and wind of course. Sure nice to go out and everything is clean and damp, and smells great! Going to ride and put out protein this afternoon, will seem odd to be dusty.

Here in southeast Haakon/northeast Jackson counties, we got the lightning and thunder, but no rain the past couple of nights. There was some rain in the area, but not here. Glad some are getting much needed rains.

I've been watering the trees and native grass 'lawn' a little. Last night some millers hatched out and there are a couple dozen turkeys enjoying the cool, damp ground and whatever bugs and seeds they are finding. Looks like two hatches of young ones, with the smaller ones only about six to eight inches tall. Older ones nearly as big as the older hens.

mrj

Good for you, Nicky. Rain is good for the soul!

We had thunder and lightening here in the early morning, but barely a trace of moisture. I think Mother Nature is priming the pump and we are more than ready!!

ToDay: Partly cloudy with isolated storms. Highs around 93°F. West northwest wind 3 to 8 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 25%.
Night: Partly cloudy with isolated storms. Lows around 64°F. East wind 4 to 9 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 55%. Precipitation amounts between one quarter and one half of an inch possible.

Saturday Sep 7
Scattered Storms Day: Partly cloudy with scattered storms. Highs around 86°F. East wind 10 to 18 MPH, gusting to 25 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 55%. Precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch possible.
Night: Mostly cloudy with scattered storms. Lows around 61°F. East southeast wind 11 to 18 MPH, gusting to 25 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 60%. Precipitation amounts between one quarter and one half of an inch possible.

Sunday Sep 8
Scattered Storms Day: Mostly cloudy with scattered storms. Highs around 81°F. East southeast wind to 11 MPH, gusting to 17 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 65%. Precipitation amounts between one quarter and one half of an inch possible.
Night: Partly cloudy with scattered storms. Lows around 57°F. South wind to 6 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 70%. Precipitation amounts between one quarter and one half of an inch possible.

Here's hoping it materializes!!

Its looking like quite an area could pick up some moisture this weekend- and its supposed to cool down from this 95 degree heat...

We picked up .25 of an inch last night from a little thunderstorm that came up...The moisture is good for the pastures- but sure slowing down harvest...If we could get one more week of warm dry weather- most the harvest would be about finished....

Some beautiful crops being combined in the area too....I'm hearing of some dryland wheat land that has a lifetime average of 20-25 bushels an acre running 55 this year... :D

Rain, what's that?

Back to being in a severe drought around here in Central Iowa.

Faster horses said:
OT, that was pretty neat, the rain graph with the old barn. How'd you do that?

Crossing our fingers that system hits here. Now they are saying 75% for
Saturday afternoon/night.

It was just a picture the Glasgow NWS had on their site- I just copied it and pasted over here...

It looks like there is a line of rain/storms from south of Miles City stretching up into Alberta that are now moving northeast across the state...Sounds like Billings may have gotten some bad winds (a microburst) from it as they have power lines down...

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:
OT, that was pretty neat, the rain graph with the old barn. How'd you do that?

Crossing our fingers that system hits here. Now they are saying 75% for
Saturday afternoon/night.

It was just a picture the Glasgow NWS had on their site- I just copied it and pasted over here...

It looks like there is a line of rain/storms from south of Miles City stretching up into Alberta that are now moving northeast across the state...Sounds like Billings may have gotten some bad winds from it as they have power lines down...

I called the Trendline Equipment owner today and he was in Billings. He said he was going to have to "wade to his pickup." Sounds like they may have had an old-fashioned cloudburst.

That is great news. We received 1.25 in. from 5 pm Thursday till 7 am Friday hopefully the grass will start to grow again.

Some areas up here got dumped on this morning...It split and went around us- so when we got .1- some areas got 2-3 inches or more... Lot of the area receiving over an inch... The radar is showing right along the border- could have picked up 4-5 inches in places...
Flash flood warnings along the border areas....Looks like Big Muddy could be picking up some moisture too- as all of southern SK from Havre to ND line looks like it is getting wet as this moves north......

EDIT-2:07 PM--

US National Weather Service Glasgow Montana

Over 5.5" of rainfall was measured today, reported 10 miles north Richland. That's an impressive amount of rain anytime, but more so in September.

Also the high temps in the 60's almost felt chilly after yesterdays high temps in the high 90's- 100's....

Big Muddy rancher said:
We missed the inch Plentywood got yesterday but have slightly over the inch today. :D :D
I suppose some farmers aren't that happy but sure am. :D :D :D

Sounds good...I just talked to a lady that said there are places over by Richland and Whitetail that have over 6" now ... :shock:
Lots of the crops in that country isn't cut yet...I was up there the other day- and there is still some that is green...

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
We missed the inch Plentywood got yesterday but have slightly over the inch today. :D :D
I suppose some farmers aren't that happy but sure am. :D :D :D

Sounds good...I just talked to a lady that said there are places over by Richland and Whitetail that have over 6" now ... :shock:
Lots of the crops in that country isn't cut yet...I was up there the other day- and there is still some that is green...

Maybe the place at big Beaver got more. :D

It's just north of Whitetail.

No flood at Big Beaver, Probably best that it didn't for the farmers but it wouldn't have hurt my hay land.

Faster horses said:
We are still waiting....had a storm come in, but it went south and west of us.
Wasn't sounding good on the warning on the radio. I hope no one received damaging wind and hail. It certainly sounded possible. :cry:

Some flooding in Williston ND

The pasture is drying fast with no rain since June but I was able to bush hog the swamp with the low ground pressure tracks on the Cat 277 - - - if you try to walk there you will sink 3"+ but the Cat hardly left a track.

I am hoping the grasses will start growing again and give my cows a treat!

Grass is very high and thick in the main pastures but as brown as you would expect in December and the cows are not happy.

I have about 10 more acres of swamp if the first 5 shows improvement I will mow the rest. Just another experiment!

Flash Flooding from heavy rainfall is possible across much of southeast Montana and north central Wyoming.
The National Weather Service reports scattered to numerous thunderstorms are expected to redevelop today. Saturated ground conditions already exist and due to an unusually high level of moisture across the region these storms could produce torrential rainfall causing flash flooding.

The areas affected include:

PORTIONS OF MONTANA AND NORTH CENTRAL WYOMING...INCLUDING THE
FOLLOWING COUNTIES...IN MONTANA...BIG HORN...CARTER...
CUSTER...FALLON...MUSSELSHELL...POWDER RIVER...ROSEBUD...
TREASURE AND YELLOWSTONE. IN NORTH CENTRAL WYOMING...
SHERIDAN.

Yesterday it was northeast MT under flood warnings- now it is the southern part of the state..
Sounds like Billings had some terrific damage... I talked with a friend there that has thousands and thousands of $ in damage... They got hail, winds, and flooding... Had drifts of hail next to buildings...

We had a storm hit here about 2AM...Thunder and lightning close enough to wake the dead-- then it dumped 1/2 an inch in about 10-15 minutes...

Since Friday we have now received .85 of an inch....And from the radar and forecast it looks like we could get more...

Latest posts