• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch Horse Versatility Show pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
Some pictures I took at the show. This is an open show, not an AQHA sanctioned show.
This is called steer doubing. They only do it in the open shows and it is a hoot to watch. Object is to dab the steer on the back between the withers and the pins. The stick is pvc with a tennis ball on the end, and mustard on it. Timed event, no hazer out of the box. Theory is it teaches the young horse to track a calf and get good and close.
IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

You got some great sharp photos, cert! wow!

Yes, great action photos?

I like looking at the horses ears. Means they're really paying attention
when one ear is back, or running hard when both are back. (I think.)

I especially like the expression on the face of the bay and the buckskin who are working the cow.

Thanks for sharing!

"Doubing". I need to remember that technique. It looks like it would be a good tool to teach inexperienced riders as well.

Radar said:
"Doubing". I need to remember that technique. It looks like it would be a good tool to teach inexperienced riders as well.

It is great. But not near as easy as it looks, I've tried it. Some horses spook from the stick.
And I've seen riders so intent on doubing that calf that they are tossed into the bull shoots at the far end of the arena. The horse saw the gates and turned but the rider kept going.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos folks!

FH--did you by chance watch any tape of smarty jones winning the derby? talk about ears telling you what you need to know: his were just tipped back, relaxed, and that horse KNEW he had the others beat. it was one of the most revealing tapes i've ever seen--he just ran past everyone and never even worried about it. you could see it in his ears. way cool....

Latest posts