• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch Journal

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
How many of you keep a ranch journal, not just cow records, but a daily record of what you do? More like a diary I guess. I've tried to keep a diary several times in the past, but I just never kept up with it until last year a friend bought me a Cowboy Journal......I left it laying where it was easy to see, and therefore easy for me to sit down a few minutes each day and write the daily goin's on around the ranch. Now I have a new one for this year. I do write important dates in there, but mostly just my daily routine, or thoughts. No one really reads it but me, but thought it might be interesting for future generations to read some day.

When daughter was in 4-h she kept one of those journals on her own,always said i was gonna,haven't yet.few weeks ago she was home and we looked through it,ya its cool idea.

The wife and I keep one. We mark most things on our big wall calendar, then we keep a journal for other stuff. Dates we moved the cattle, dates we brought in cattle on rented pasture, or renters bringin in their cattle, days we treated a sick calf or footrot, etc. Comes in awful handy down the road.

Yeah I have a dayplanner I put all that stuff into-as long as you don't lose it-I also rewrite my calving records in the back of my ranch account book-In case I lose my calving books.

I have two sets of Cattle records too. One set that stays in my truck, and then one set that stays at home. And the journal, does come in handy, when ya need to go back and look when you did this, that, or the other.

Since I ain't a 'real' rancher, I doubt what I keep could be called a ranch journal, but I do keep a journal and if I get out to move cows, ride fence, or etc., I put that in. But I have been doing it almost daily for more than 30 years. Remembering to write is the easy part; keeping up with all those volumes is a !@#$%^& :?

I have a drawer full of those daily pocket diarys that I have kept records on storms, floods, hayfield production, and daily activities for about 30 years..Also have a stack of the pocket cattle records and before that a log book of cattle records going back into the 40's....
Along with cow info and birth dates I keep track of pasture movement dates, bull turnouts, weaning weight aves., dates when I have to start feeding, etc. About everything I think I may use someday I write in those two little books that I pack all the time....

After losing one cow book for a couple weeks I did make an office copy which I copy the info out of for a duplicate.....

I've been keeping one for about 10 years. I get up have a cup of coffee, read my Bible, and write in the journal. It's fun to go back and read them :)

I usually do mine in the evenin while suppers cookin. Get it started on the stove, and sit down at my bar and write down 'what happened today' And what's neat about it, it doesn't matter if it was a good day or a bad day, when you go back and read it later, ya gitta laff. Most anything that goes wrong on a ranch aint funny at the time, but it becomes funny after it's over with.

Kinda like yesterday mornin, I got out to take my daughter to school, and yeap, there it was, a tire flatter than all git out. (it has a slow leak) We'd had thunderstorms the day before and into the night, so things were wet.
I had put on my work gloves (somethin I dont normally do when airin up a tire) plugged the compressor into an extention cord. I came back inside while the compressor was goin, gave it time to build up pressure. Went back out and aired up the tire right before we left. I finished and went to unplug the compressor. Zapppppppp....crackleeeeeeee.....fry............smoke............I threw it down on the ground!!!!! Felt heat in my hand.......whewww!!!! I tried steppin on one end and pullin on the other cord, not touchin it at the plug area, and it wouldnt come apart. It had melted the prongs on the compressor cord into the plug on the extention cord. So I went back inside and unplugged the cord from the wall. It wasn't funny at all at the time. But later when I told Mr Lilly that he almost got to collect life insurance on me, we laughed about it.

I kept one for several years. I should start again. My dad used to write in a diary every day for quite a few years when my boys were small. After he died it was fun to go back and read it out loud to the boys and laff at some of the stuff he wrote down about babysitting the kids. He always wrote the temp and weather down too.

We probably all should, for future generations. I'd love to have one my grandfather or great grandfather had written.

We are all living history, but everyone thinks history is what happened years ago.

I've kept a daily journal for 20 years. Only time I missed was in the winter-spring of 96-97. Was just too exhausted when I got in at night to do much of anything. I write down the temps, weather conditions, amount of snow, rain, wind. Can't beat it for a back up on livestock record keeping. I write down when bulls get out, how many bales I made on what field, when I get feed in, brandings, parts, just about whatever might come in handy to check back on some day. Even had neighbors call to ask what day it was I helped them move into a renters pasture. It's easy to keep up in the winter but is harder to do in the spring and summer when a guy gets super busy, but is worth the effort. Even wins a few friendly arguments around the house.

I agree Jinglebob, I too wish my grandparents or great grandparents had written things down. Although I did have the opportunity to spend summers with my grandmother while growin up, and got to hear most of her stories, I"m sure there's some I've forgotten or some she didnt get to. I've written down those that I can remember and added them to my family history/genealogy book. But it would be neater for it to have been in her own words.
Friend of mine just found a 1835 diary of ( I can't remember who, someone that was a congressman or something ) but it mentions president jefferson and a few others. The diary was in a box of stuff her mom gave her, has some real interesting history. But like you said, we are makin today, the history of our family. Not everyday somethin unusual happens, but still could be interesting for future generations.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I usually do mine in the evenin while suppers cookin. Get it started on the stove, and sit down at my bar and write down 'what happened today'

I bet after sitting at your "bar" for a while you write some pretty interesting things!!! haha I knew you liked to hit the bottle Jersey! :lol:
You can prolly keep up with Haymaker and his whiskey! kidding :lol: :eek: :shock:

I have a little red calving book actually I have a stack of them one for each year I always joke it's my brain and I keep it in my back pocket so you know that's true.I lost mine last summer boy was I upset it had all my calveing records,AI records renter phone numbers you name it it's in there.Turned out when they cut my pants off at the hospital it was in my back pocket my wife had a bag of stuff from the hospital I was suppose to clean out month's ago well a couple week's ago I got to it and there it was boy was I feeling smart then.

Denny -

Your mentioning having your journal in the pants that they cut off of you - How are you getting along after that mess you were in last year? I haven't heard how your recovery has been progressing!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Denny -

Your mentioning having your journal in the pants that they cut off of you - How are you getting along after that mess you were in last year? I haven't heard how your recovery has been progressing!

DOC HARRIS

I am feeling really good My daughter is allway's giving me a hard time she say's I have a gimp.I tend to limp a little when I first get going but once I'm warmed up it does'nt bother.I can tell a weather change about 2 day's before it happens now.Who need's the Weather Channel.I went to the Chiropractor and that was a real help. I do notice I don't walk as fast as my wife does but maybe she's just in a hurry.After that ordeal I'm just glad I can walk could have been alot worse.

Denny said:
DOC HARRIS said:
Denny -

DOC HARRIS

I am feeling really good My daughter is allway's giving me a hard time she say's I have a gimp.I tend to limp a little when I first get going but once I'm warmed up it does'nt bother.I can tell a weather change about 2 day's before it happens now.Who need's the Weather Channel.I went to the Chiropractor and that was a real help. I do notice I don't walk as fast as my wife does but maybe she's just in a hurry.After that ordeal I'm just glad I can walk could have been alot worse.
I am glad to hear that, Denny! Naturally, I am glad that you are seeing a Dr. of Chiropractic, and that he is helping you. By regaining and keeping the integrity of the Nerve System functioning properly, that will preclude other more serious consequences later (perhaps years from now) when you are less capable of "bouncing back"! I would advise you to not try to do too much too soon, even if you feel that you can. Just like a steer (or bull - - as the case may be!), proper exercise, correct nutrition and PLENTY of water (8 to 12 FULL glasses each day), and you will be in PRIME shape soon!! Ready to hang on the rail! - - or - - run down the hill!

DOC HARRIS

Have kept the important dates and info. written for years,but as for the daily routine-like most of you-am lucky to have time to read and do what I need to. As for any major weather events my husband will remember the year on that-he can remember things like that,but is allergic to writing and paper work! Although it would be neat to keep a journal for the future generation to look at.

You better be careful what you write in that book Lilly,never can tell who is gonna get it :shock: I keep mine mighty close, & also use a wall calendar,just keep hanging one in front of the other.............good luck

LOL Haymaker,
Aint nothin in my book that can't be read by anyone who might pick it up. Even tho, I do kinda cringe when someone does, that's not a family member, but that's only because my way of writin things down, aint all that great. I have on occasion wrote down, things that have happened that made me mad, LOL Mr Lilly knows if he see's it in ink, he really 'DONE IT NOW' hehe, but it's kinda like that thing you posted, soon as I write it down, that's it, it's layed to rest. Guess it's just my way of lettin go of some things.

Latest posts