• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranches

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tap

Reaction score
I have had an opportunity to have a first hand look at the Padlock Ranch in WY/MT for several years, and just haven't taken time to get there. It got me to wondering what large or historic ranches some of you have visted, or even worked on?

I posted a picture of the Spanish Ranch HQ last year. That is a ranch I would like to have a better look at. I have been by the old Pitchfork Ranch at Meteetsee WY, and that is nice country. Which brings to my mind a story I may post on that ranch sometime. :wink:

Before '72 my dad lived next door to the Padlock and he Reped on their roundup wagon so I would like to go thru that ranch. Also the King ranch and the four sixes. Man thinking about it there are a lot of places I'd love to go thru!! I wonder if they'd think I was crazy if I showed up on their doorstep and asked for a tour!! I'm a collector of old useless crap so I have more then one reason to want to go thru them.

I'm a collector of useless crap too. Mr Lilly just gives me that look, and walks off shakin his head. I pick up all kinda things when we are out messin around. In my bathroom I have numerous strange pieces of iron hangin on the walls. From an old old olddddd rusted out bit that's stiff, to things I don't have any idea what they were used for, interesting to me, but prolly not to anyone else. Lil piece of chain that the link that was used to shut a gate is almost worn thru. I picked up an old gate hinge the other day, it hasn't made it on the wall yet, but only because I keep forgettin to git it and another chunk of iron that I think is a ring that was used back in the day when you rode your horse to town, and tied him to a ring that was attached to the boardwalk. Ya never know when ya might find somethin of interest.

The Pitchfork Ranch at Meteetsee, Wyoming, is sure a pretty place. Peach Blossom and I drove up there over Father's Day week-end last year, when we went out to the Mule Days celebration and auction northeast of Cody, Wyoming. If you go through Meteetsee, an interesting stop is the museum in which there are a lot of old-time cowboy photographs, taken by Charles Belden. He ran the Pitchfork Ranch for a lot of years, during a very photogenic time period.

Here in Nebraska, the old Fawn Lake Cattle Company was a fine ranch. It was also called "The U Cross" because of the brand that went on the cattle. The U Cross comprised about sixty-five thousand acres, and another ranch under the same ownership was the Star, which was another 35,000 acres. The whole empire was managed by Mose Rossiter for a lot of years. When he died, John Kime ran the ranch until he was killed in a helicopter crash in February of 1968.

I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to see the place in its heyday. On August 12, 1966, I was with a friend helping him get some hay machinery moved from his south ranch to his north ranch. This was a distance of sixty miles cross-country through the Sandhills, usually just through pastures, but occasionally on a trail road. He was driving a small Allis Chalmers tractor (about 35-40 horsepower). With the tractor, he pulled a four-wheel haysled. On this haysled was a "horse sweep", which was what some would call a buck-rake. When in use, it was powered by two draft horses. I was fourteen years old at the time, and my duty for the trip was to drive the team of draft horse that would power the sweep after his haying was in progress. The horses were hitched to an old rubber tired wagon and my "seat" was a leather bottom wooden chair that had seen its better days. It was sometimes hard to keep the thing balanced, if the horses were trotting and the bumps were bad. My passenger was the neighbor's eleven-year-old son. He rode on our pile of bedding.

The sixty-mile trip took two and a half days, and two and a half inches of rain fell on us as we made the pilgrimage. We were in a goose-drowner of a downpour as we neared the U Cross. We hadn't planned to stop at the ranch, but due to the pouring rain we decided to pull in and seek shelter to get dried off. It was about 11:30 when we trotted into the yard. A big horse barn was on the premises, and it would hold close to a hundred horses in box stalls. Keep in mind that at that time (1966), all the work on that ranch was done with draft horses. They put up several thousand tons of hay in big six or seven ton stacks, and then all this hay was fed out in the wintertime on haysleds pulled with horses. Cowboys were on hand to assist us, and we unhooked the horses and put the team in the barn. They invited us into the bunkhouse to get dried off. About then the dinner bell rang, and we joined the cowboys as they ran through the rain to dinner.

After a nice dinner of steak, potatoes, beans and biscuits, we went outside. The rain had let up a little bit, so we harnessed up to resume our journey. The U Cross hands went to brand some late calves. They were leaving the barn when we did. It was impressive that as they rode out of the yard, there were fourteen cowboys mounted on their horses, and one cowboy was leading a saddled horse for John Kime (the boss) to use later. These cowboys were all full-time ranch hands, and this was just a regular day in their way of life. Mr. Kime accompanied them driving a pickup which contained the branding irons, stove, and other supplies necessary to accomplish their afternoon task.

The big barn was a landmark in itself. Regretably, a few years later some kids were playing with matches in the haymow, and it caught fire and burned to the ground. As mentioned earlier, it was big enough to have stall space for nearly a hundred draft horses. Another part of the barn had stanchions for milking a few cows. On the west side of the barn there were many wagons parked. Each wagon was loaded for any particular job that might come up. One wagon held all windmill equipment, two or three wagons had fencing supplies, and other wagons were just empty and avialable. The ranch was very self-sufficient. One or two guys were hired to garden, do yard work, milk cows and take care of a few chickens. An elaborate butchering set-up made it easy to process beef. The ranch was a long ways from any town, and only trail roads made traveling anywhere a time-consuming project.

Anyway, the whole experience stuck in my youthful mind as a wonderful opportunity to get to see an old-time premier ranch in operation. This ranch was one whose ways had changed very little from what it would have been like seventy-five years earlier. Now it is forty years later and the old Fawn Lake Cattle Company will never be quite the same. At this time (2006), the U Cross is owned by Ted Turner.

Fawn Lake sold to Turner, too?
Milligans sold the U Cross side of the place to Turner in '98, I believe. But as of '00 (when my husband looked at a job with them) they still owned Fawn Lake (and the U Cross brand). They live in eastern NE, somewhere. Fremont, or therabouts, if I'm thinking right.

Have they since sold the rest to him too?

Never lived or worked on a truly famous one, but we lived up the road from one of Old Jules' grandsons (and a few miles from where Mari Sandoz is buried) and the lesser half helped the fellow that currently owns the remaining portion of the Spade move cows one day. :wink:

Yes they did. We bought a bunch of their haystacks and drooled at the farm sale. :wink:

I was so impressed with fawn lake when we went down there. I really regret that it will never truly be a ranch again. :mad:

Good story Soapweed. :!:

When I think about it, a lot of us are living where famous ranches outlived their heyday.

I am sure the Mill Iron, E6 Cattle Company, probably the Turkey Track, and others had cattle that ranged right here where I am sitting. My step-great grandparents settled in this country (about 15 miles NW of here first) and were probably considered "nesters" when they first showed up, in that era. They would have had those big cattle syndicates for neighbors, although most of them closed out about that same time. (Late 1880's)

If you follow history, it seems everything goes in a big circle.

There was a HUGE cattle ranch around here 100-120 years ago, before the sod was broken and the lowlands drained. I'll have to get some info on it from someone but way back when this was cattle country.. This place I am thinking of had 10k+ acres of good Illinois soil that now produces 200 bushel corn. Okay, maybe not huge by western standards but I don't think there is in anyone in the state calving out 1000 beef cows a year anymore... Our good crop ground is at rated at 9 AUM an acre I think with unimproved grasses. I need to look at that again..

I get down to the Z Bar in the flint hills of Kansas every year or two. now the state has bought it and uses it for those damned buffalo. wish it would get back into private hands, but doubt it will ever happen.

hard to beat that bluestem with the flint rock hills........

Tap

In Eastern Colorado, there were two huge ranches - of some hundred thousand acres or more in our area. The Collins ranch in Southern Cheyenne County and the JOD ranch in Western Cheyenne and Eastern Lincoln counties.

The JOD ranch went from Hugo to Kit Carson - some 50 or 60 miles. They had some 20 cowboys working on it.

The only problem was that they didn't own most of the land. It was open range and whoever wanted to run cattle on it did. Led to a few disputes. When the land was homesteaded in the early 1900's the ranches had all their cowboys take out a homestead around the headquarters and later bought them out. The JOD ranch was reduced to about 14,000 from several hundred thousand. The homesteaders mostly died out because there wasn't any water under most of the available land. They would carry water from the Big Sandy creek in water wagons for domestic and stock use. No wonder they didn't last long.

As the homesteaders left, the bigger ranches bought them out for a pittance or simply got the land by paying the taxes.

Our ranch, the JOD must have had about 20 homesteads on it at one time. We occasionally get visitors whose parents or grandparents worked on the ranch years ago.

A lot of the homesteaders came to the area from Missouri. The railroad provided transportation - usually a box car per family - to get folks to move there. One woman took a look at the landscape at the train station in Kit Carson and absolutely refused to get off into that godforsaken country. Took the others a few years to figure it out.

Jigs, When I was a kid, my Dad grassed on the Z- with Knight Feeders. Pretty strong grass, but my Flinthills friends get high in the bridle when I tell them that SD grass will put more gain on a steer than flinthills grass (ofcourse not per acre, but per day).

Soapweed, did you go to the Star equipment auction after the Mormons bought the Star? I bought the Star's haysled & valve bank (per auctioneer) and Gene Shaw objected to splitting valves off the Binder (after the auction). It was an ugly mess.

HMW did you ever go to Wyoming Hereford Ranch. I always thought it was an interesting Ranch.

passin thru said:
HMW did you ever go to Wyoming Hereford Ranch. I always thought it was an interesting Ranch.

Must be out of my territory. I don't recognize the name.
confused-smiley-013.gif

passin thru said:
Sorry I figured it might be close to you. It is near Cheyenne Wyoming
Or Warren Land and Livestock runs from Cheyenne to Laramie.... friend I went to college with ownes it now.... but then he married oil-gas money....

Thanks for the good stories everyone. I am surprised all the time about where some of the bigger ranches are. Like the Parker Ranch in Hawaii, the huge number of cows that the Mormans run in Florida, and other states, and the number of acres it takes to run a cow in some places is unreal.

I know there are some big ranches in Canada like the Gang, Douglas Lake, and others. Where are the Canadians here?

Tap, the Canadians can't seem to get on ranchers now. Also OT, although he could access the site yesterday, he can't today. And ranchwife, cowboyup, Hanta Yo, sw, haymaker aren't able to either. And I suspect PPRM as well.

I just sent Macon a PM and got it returned.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :shock:

Faster horses said:
Tap, the Canadians can't seem to get on ranchers now. Also OT, although he could access the site yesterday, he can't today. And ranchwife, cowboyup, Hanta Yo, sw, haymaker aren't able to either. And I suspect PPRM as well.

I just sent Macon a PM and got it returned.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :shock:

Aw Macon is just doing a little culling.....just kidding..imagine those poor folks are going thru withdrawels as we speak....

Latest posts