• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranchin with wolves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

5 years ago , I started putting mamoth donkeys in my cow herd . I got them as weanlings & grew them up with my heifers . They hate dogs of any kind . We lost cattle for 15 years after we did this no more losses . They will stand up to wolves & run them right out of there .

I've heard of this before but can't get past the fact that if a pair of wolves can kill a moose, why couldn't they kill a donkey?

Glad it's working for you.

Do you think the donkeys would stay with the cattle if there were horses on your range also?

I'm not sure but I think there's quite a difference between the timber wolf we have and the wolves over east. I have a suspicion a timber wolf would eat a mammoth donkey for an appetizer.

well i know one thing grizzlys cant eat just one. after that they are hooked. we tried a lama nothing would eat that thing evan after he was let go of his duties. i think donkeys would work for coyotes but wolves arent coyotes.

gcreekrch said:
I prefer methods that once a wolf or bear has been dealt with you never have to train them again. :wink:

When he said he had the cure I got my hopes up that he was prepared to mail us the cure that we have such a hard time getting our hands on up here :shock: :lol: :wink:

Silver said:
gcreekrch said:
I prefer methods that once a wolf or bear has been dealt with you never have to train them again. :wink:

When he said he had the cure I got my hopes up that he was prepared to mail us the cure that we have such a hard time getting our hands on up here :shock: :lol: :wink:

You guys just aren't hugging those criminals enough.
:wink: :lol:

bear_on_bike.jpg

hypocritexposer said:
Silver said:
gcreekrch said:

You guys just aren't hugging those criminals enough.
:wink: :lol:

bear_on_bike.jpg

The + goes right at the top of the light strip behind the shoulder. :wink:

Western Justice meets a bike thief. :lol:

Neighbors tried a donkey. His career ended shortly (and swiftly) after he started stomping the brains out of newborn calves.

I know here they use donkeys for coyotes but wolves are totally different. I prefer the 300 win mag for the yotes myself!!! Never a question if they will be back again or not.

Caught this one crossing the Hayfield this January. Too bad he couldn't out run the headlights and that 300.
PART951292133250601.jpg

If you run horses in your cattle the donks are going to want to stay with them .Our wolves # 100 tops . Ever see a donky fight ? They will stand right up on thier hind leg & get it on . A donk will grab a dog in the back & throw them in the air , when he hits the ground its boots city for him .

WE tried everything this works the best ,We raise a few baby donks & havent lost 1 of them even . I have heard of the donky killing cattle also , but they were bought at sale barn & not raised in cattle . Cut the jacks & you wont have troule with that I havent . it might not work everywhere but it has here . I dont have any of the liquid cure sorry boys .

During calving season, our two saddle mules are on extended confinement in a distant corral with good water and a feeder with a big bale of hay. They will kill calves just as surely as a wolf.

I caught my saddle horse once with a calf he had picked it by the neck was shaking it like a rag doll . So I guess never & always are 2 things you shouldnt say .

Anything that would discourage wolves is worth a try. The best you can hope if they are camped out eating your stock is that you can make it unpleasant enough that they move on.
My concern for the donkey is that the wolves are in packs. One keeps them occupied at the front end and the rest move in for the kill. They are very efficient killers and can't be compared to coyotes that are mostly scavengers.
They mostly seem to prefer yearling grassers here as the are more sport and make a meal for the whole pack.
Wolves go to 150# here. Here's a picture of a cougar that size for comparison. The guy holding him is ths size of a football lineman. http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/cougar.jpg
I don't know how to post pictures. Maybe somebody smarter can post it up.

wolf packs get killed out here every year , so every year we start over with pairs & sometime family groups of 5 to 7 head . This country is solid cattle so wolves always get in trouble with the law , & get removed to heaven . Wolves here like calves the best . Very few coyotes left here , the wolves hunt them & run them out .

greybeard said:
Anything that would discourage wolves is worth a try. The best you can hope if they are camped out eating your stock is that you can make it unpleasant enough that they move on.
My concern for the donkey is that the wolves are in packs. One keeps them occupied at the front end and the rest move in for the kill. They are very efficient killers and can't be compared to coyotes that are mostly scavengers.
They mostly seem to prefer yearling grassers here as the are more sport and make a meal for the whole pack.
Wolves go to 150# here. Here's a picture of a cougar that size for comparison. The guy holding him is ths size of a football lineman. http://gallery.menoutdoors.com/gallery/data/500/cougar.jpg
I don't know how to post pictures. Maybe somebody smarter can post it up.

cougar.jpg

Greybeard, a pictures like this, you can just use the *IMG* code around the link. Just quote this post and before you hit "submit", you can see how it looks.

cheers

Latest posts