• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

re-conditioners

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Best i have seen is a John deere 510 round baler with all the tailgate and nearly all else cut off-- just the pickup, bottom belts and compression roller left, hay that is rained on [ remember that] picks it up, squeezes it a little and lays it back on the stubble, can find them around her for junk prices

cowman52 said:
Best i have seen is a John deere 510 round baler with all the tailgate and nearly all else cut off-- just the pickup, bottom belts and compression roller left, hay that is rained on [ remember that] picks it up, squeezes it a little and lays it back on the stubble, can find them around her for junk prices
Neighbor did that with his vermeer makes a nice fluffer

Several times it has gotten damp in the evenings and to get a bale started with my 510 I will leave the gate open and run about 200' of winrow back on the ground then go back to the start and close the baler and start another bale.

Keeps me from wrapping belts and gets them started.

I don't have that problem with the 530.

There are a few around here that use those "Recon" conditioners. If you would like to ask one of them give me a call.

tried a re-conditioner yesterday in an attempt to get something dry in a hurry, it definetly got a lot drier than the unconditioned windrows but not quite dry enough to bale, today we've been getting showers . it seemed to be very aggressive on the alfalfa so you have to do it really tough.

have used the round baler pu as suggested and it works very well, not too aggressive and leaves a nice fluffy windrow. just have'nt got up enough nerve to hack up this POS jd 535 yet, as i still need a round baler at times :lol: :lol:

Well it ain't very modern, but I use a Massey Ferguson hay crimper (upper steel roll, lower rubber roll) to speed things up around here. I use it because it just matches up so well with my 1105!! :lol:

Seriously, it does bring the hay on a lot faster than leaving it undisturbed. Partially because it re-cracks the stems and mainly because it just opens the windrow up to expose it to more sun and wind. I cut one day and crimp the next morning until the top gets too dry and the leaves shatter.

hayguy is right about the hay needing to be tough, otherwise the
legume leaves stay in the field.

So if a 1960's vintage machine can gain drying time, a modern-day re-con should help even more.

535 does not have the compression roller fluffs yes but you can put a deflector on it short but it will lift the windrow up and drop it farther about 30 degrees and depending on volume of windrow a foot at least and in haygrazer that is a bit taller maybe 2-- saw one with a roller at the rear wich pulled the hay on up the ramp and it worked real well

cowman52 said:
535 does not have the compression roller fluffs yes but you can put a deflector on it short but it will lift the windrow up and drop it farther about 30 degrees and depending on volume of windrow a foot at least and in haygrazer that is a bit taller maybe 2-- saw one with a roller at the rear wich pulled the hay on up the ramp and it worked real well

so what your saying is i should really find a 510?

Burnt, what i used has an upper smooth roll and a lower steel roll with bars welded on horizontally, maybe rubber wouldn't be quite so aggressive. a few guys have taken the cutter bar out of old bagged out discbines and just used the conditioner (NH rubber on rubber)

the 510 has a set of belts in the bottom that will move the hay around the 535 will just pick it up and drop it right over the baler axle right back on the ground-- you can build deflectors on it to move it over to dryer ground-- the 535 will have hay build up on the axle -

Some of you are talking about two different methods. If all your wanting to do is move the hay over just use your rakes and run one windrow over where therenis dry ground. New holland makes a hay inverter which is all right, but does not work real good in heavy windrows. We tried it in 18ft windrows and just didn't,t work very good. There is some re-conditioners out on the market but are kind of pricey. If a 510 jd baler would work that would be your best bet.

If you're going to use a baler, an old New Holland bar baler works extremely good for fluffing up the swath. They had a floor with chains on it and do a very nice job.

Denny said:
Just run it through a discbine again.

With my disbine it comes out looking like the stuff that comes out of the bag on the lawn mower. Then it plugs up.

Running it through the swather again would be the wrong thing to do. Would really chop it up and end up being a bigger mess.

I have an old New Idea 5 wheel rake and if I flip up the front and back wheels leaving just 3 on the ground it will flip and fluff windrows pretty well.

This is very helpfull if I have used the double rake and made big winrows that get washed afterward. If you leave all 5 wheel on the ground it will rope and plug constantly and tries to move the winrow to far anyway.

George said:
I have an old New Idea 5 wheel rake and if I flip up the front and back wheels leaving just 3 on the ground it will flip and fluff windrows pretty well.

This is very helpfull if I have used the double rake and made big winrows that get washed afterward. If you leave all 5 wheel on the ground it will rope and plug constantly and tries to move the winrow to far anyway.

in my quest to make the best hay possible i have tried a NH inverter, a pequa tedder/fluffer, a kirchner swath fluffer,and most recently a re-conditioner all with varying results. it seem's we always return to our old 6 wheel pollard rake, i take the front 2 and back1 wheel of to just flip or invert a windrow, and it only cost 500$ twenty years ago :!: i am going to build or strip down an old round baler into a fluffer though as there are times i don't want the underside of the windrow exposed to more sun bleaching.

thank-you to all for your in-put :D :D :)

Silver said:
Denny said:
Just run it through a discbine again.

With my disbine it comes out looking like the stuff that comes out of the bag on the lawn mower. Then it plugs up.

Mine has flail's and I can set them at zero and it just fluffs it up nicely.

hayguy said:
George said:

in my quest to make the best hay possible i have tried a NH inverter, a pequa tedder/fluffer, a kirchner swath fluffer,and most recently a re-conditioner all with varying results. it seem's we always return to our old 6 wheel pollard rake, i take the front 2 and back1 wheel of to just flip or invert a windrow, and it only cost 500$ twenty years ago :!: i am going to build or strip down an old round baler into a fluffer though as there are times i don't want the underside of the windrow exposed to more sun bleaching.

thank-you to all for your in-put :D :D :)

I used as NH square baler and took the twine box off and opened up the back. I would have to go to side hill and look and take a couple of pictures for you but it worked pretty good. I am still fighting wind damaged windrows. IT all need to be raked but some places 2 or 3 windrows worth of hay are piled together. Makes it tough on the V rake. :?

Latest posts