• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Recipes and things you cook with that you recommend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

'H, is your's a pellet grill or just a smoker?
Our traegher is on it's last legs, won't smoke anymore. Have had it 25 years and it was used when we bought it. We definately want a pellet grill/smoker but doesn't have to be a Traegher.

I got rid of my Traeger years ago. Outdoors I use an electric grill that does the best job ever for grilling all beef hot dogs and zucchini.

I do well-marbled prime rib roast or prime chuck roast in a covered skillet and slow-cook it for 4 to 6 hours. I don't add any broth just let it simmer in its own juices. I season with salt, pepper, and sometimes add hot paprika, and /or garlic powder. I can go off and leave it, turning it only once.

If I have a thick marbled prime rib, I may insert chopped garlic cloves in it making minimum slits and then browning it quickly on all sides before letting it slow roast. The last one I did, I cooked for 6 hours and it basically melted in my mouth. That was good and my goal since I am a smooth mouth. The flavor was the best ever.

I have a Traeger but heard the Yoders are good,

Unless your Traeger is burnt or rusted out you can get replacement parts quickly right from Traeger.
We've tried but they said they couldn't do it. Would be nice to have an electric start and the other goodies.

We've tried but they said they couldn't do it. Would be nice to have an electric start and the other goodies.
We have a Green Mountain Grill. The only trouble we've had with it is operator error. Anything I've ruined (gotten too hot, etc) GMG has sent me parts free of charge. They are great!!!
Traeger was THE NAME in pellet grills in the past, but the others have caught up. I wouldn't buy
a Traeger today. I am a GRG member on FB and they don't like the Traeger pellets so I haven't been using them either. The others seem to burn better.

We have an outdoor griddle and it's an Expert Pioneer Griddle from Wal-mart. Works just as well as a Blackstone and cost a lot less. It had a lid and I liked that. When I bought it Blackstone didn't offer a cover so I bought the Expert Grill. I really like it. Only thing that would be better with both the griddle and the smoker is if Mr FH would learn to cook!! 😊

Lazy Ace was most likely talking about boiled okra. Fried okra is entirely different. The boiled is slimy and disgusting. The fried is tasty and considered fine eats.

Since the title is "Things you cook with," I am with Jody on the garlic and onions. Garlic especially. I would also add tomatoes as one of my favorites. Here is a now-deceased family friend from my younger days that survived the famine in Spain and will set you garlic haters straight. This sandwich tastes better than it looks.

I laugh at the questions the city lady asked him and his answers. Hahaha!

Interviewer: Who was planting the garlic?
Anzonini: Those that could
Interviewer: Where did they plant the garlic
Anzonini: In the fields they had

@jodywy "If you want to keep happy in your work, tell Sue to throw 5 nice heads of garlic into the pot."

Last edited:
If you took a long night crawler and rolled it in sand. And then covered it in snot. And then cooked it, well, you'd basically have okra!!! 😁 Whoever decided it was good oughta be drug through a cactus patch. I tried it in the Carolina's and I still shudder to think of it. No offense RR, but okra isn't on my list of edible foods. But to each their own.

If you took a long night crawler and rolled it in sand. And then covered it in snot. And then cooked it, well, you'd basically have okra!!! 😁 Whoever decided it was good oughta be drug through a cactus patch. I tried it in the Carolina's and I still shudder to think of it. No offense RR, but okra isn't on my list of edible foods. But to each their own.
Gumbo, or Jambalaya

The Holy Trinity, usually use to start everything other than a roast, Usually Onion, then Celery, and or Green Bell Pepper, Carrots, Garlic, crushed tomatoes, maybe hot chilies, fresh herbs. but usually, a combination of three leaning from Italian, Mexican, Cajun to whatever you want.

Latest posts