• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Red Heeler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BarMJ

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at posting pictures so we will see how this works. These are pictures of our heeler, "Kip", aka. "bad dog". She's not really a bad dog, but she was given to me from someone who was going to put her down because they hadn't bothered to work with her and she was heeling people who came into their house. We worked with her and haven't had any problems with her. Just had friends give her a treat when they came to the house and now she looks forward to visitors. Just don't knock on the door! Makes her bark like mad, that alarm bark gives me a heart attack every time! So it's kind of a joke that we call her the bad dog.

So first picture is of her just after rolling in the grass, the second should be her on the couch, we have tried to keep her off the couch, but the darned poodle gets up there all the time so she thinks she can. So we pretty much gave up.

100_0088.jpg

100_0116.jpg

Well, I was going to get a picture of my horse on here too, but it's taking forever. Maybe later...

Those rollin' hills go right up to mountains!
It is a beautiful place, full of greenie environmentalists...

BARMJ, I'd bet money that dog is part Corgi. I could be wrong, but
the set of those ears makes me wonder.
It will be interesting to see what the Corgi owners on this site have
to say about it. I have seen Cogri-Heeler Cross, they are
CUTE and she is CUTE. Really cute and she's not a
BAD dog, just had some bad owners, previously--ya' think?

Well, I'm glad you have her. You might know she is full Heeler,
but if not, she could be crossed with Corgi. And it's OKAY to be on
the couch if everyone else is. :wink:

Thanks for posting the pictures,
Enjoyed them. :)

The horse is over in Lewistown, not too many environmentalists there. Got plenty of them over here in Missoula though! Work with a couple of 'em... I also think it's pretty over there, grew up there. I get a little claustrophobic over here with the mountains glaring down at me from all sides. That and being in town. Who knew you had to lock your doors, and shut your shades?
Guess Kip could be a bit Corgi. She is pretty petite for a heeler. Although she looks smaller than she is in the second picture. One of the vets I work for has 7 heelers and she thought she was a heeler and the people I got her from said she was, but I don't have any proof. So who knows. I don't care, I like her whatever she is. And your right about the bad owner, rather than a bad dog thing.

FH, Bless your heart, you beat me to the punch :shock: Kip almost looks part Corgi, when the pic came in full view I thought, "Why, Kip looks just like Corky, except the ears aren't as big!" barMJ, bet you'll have fun with your poodle trying to be a cowdog when you get out in the country. I might have something there...make yourself a legend in your own time! Teach your poodle to work cows! (You know, poodles are quite smart, bet you can do it :wink: )

Pretty horse, I'm not that much into horses, just ride 'em to get the job done. He or she? Name? What does he/she think about cows?

Hanta Yo, your comment about poodles made me think of years ago around Buffalo, Wyoming when the sheepherders trailed the sheep around the town to the mountains for the summer. If they could get a poodle for working sheep, they'd have it in a minute. They make really good sheep dogs.

So, it started being that the people with poodles had a calling chain, so to speak, and when the sheep started to the mountains, every one in town kept their poodles locked up!

Thanks for the memory!

Hanta Yo, The horse is a mare, she's about 5 yrs old. And her name is Sweetie or Sweets. I don't really care for the name, but my mom named her and it stuck. I haven't worked her on cattle yet. She's been around my parents sheep though and she tends to chase them... not sure if that's an indication of anything. Maybe it just means she's ornery, as she is top horse.
Oh and I found some more pics of the whole bunch and a full picture of her.
6cd456ba.jpg

410b0f04.jpg

I went to school with a David Merwin. I'm 23, so could Clyde be his dad or other relative? I'll ask my parents if they know him. Oh and if I meet him and say "PPRM said hi" will he know what I'm talking about? lol

Latest posts